The Student Room Group

Missing matriculation

Hey, I'm due to start at Oxford in a few weeks but I've just realised that the matriculation ceremony clashes with other personal commitments I have that weekend. Welcome letters etc are saying that attendance is compulsory - does anyone know about the procedures for/how to skip matriculation? Thanks
Original post by PointyElbow
Hey, I'm due to start at Oxford in a few weeks but I've just realised that the matriculation ceremony clashes with other personal commitments I have that weekend. Welcome letters etc are saying that attendance is compulsory - does anyone know about the procedures for/how to skip matriculation? Thanks

What personal commitments? I think matriculation should take priority as without it you won't officially be registered into the uni. Not sure tho

"Personal commitments"...?!

You're matriculating into the University. You're making a commitment to your college and the wider university, where you become a member. It's an extremely important moment. You certainly don't 'skip it'...

Whaever 'personal commitments' you have - cancel them.

Not a good start. The university doesn't work around you - you work around the university. It's been there for nearly a thousand years...
(edited 5 years ago)
What the above said.
I think depending upon what the commitment is then you may be allowed to miss it but I highly doubt it. Are these personal commitments that important?

Good heavens! You mean you have a personal life? That might jeopardise the ceremony of getting your magic wand? Who do you think you are?!! What on earth could be more important than standing in your special wizarding clothes with all the other junior wizards whilst the Arch-Mage intones the special spell?!

Here is what the university website says:

"If your course starts at the beginning of Michaelmas term, you would normally matriculate at the end of the first week of that term.
If you miss this ceremony, or if your course starts at a different time, there are ceremonies at the end of each Michaelmas term and at the end of each Hilary and Trinity term. You must matriculate within two terms of starting your course, otherwise you will be unable to take a University examination. If you have any questions about matriculation, contact your college."

So the short answer is - contact your college to sort it out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending