Where are the Marxists? Watch

Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Why are there very few black Marxists in Britain and even fewer Asian Marxists? I have never understood the appeal of Marx but it seems like his band of followers is almost exclusively white.
Ash8991
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not sure what the figures are but it could be down to the fact that we're just a white majority country but Marxism does seem to be a fad right now for Left Wing white people, you see them on youtube and stuff claiming that Communism/Marxism is the way forward and that Capitalism is disgusting etc.

Communism will never work for as long as Humans are competitive and greedy.
Arran90
Rep:
?
Even in urban areas with large black and Asian population the Marxists are almost all white.
Randyyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
.Marxists are all at home shagginf their siblings
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could say the same about feminists.
Where are all the black feminists?
Also just like Marxist they are primarily made up of white middle class
Could it be something to do with the fact that large numbers of feminists are Marxists too?
Arran90
Rep:
?
(Original post by Just my opinion)
Could it be something to do with the fact that large numbers of feminists are Marxists too?
Good question. Is it a case that a high proportion of feminists are also Marxists; a high proportion of Marxists are also feminists; or do both go hand in glove where if a person is one then there's a 99% chance that they are also the other.?
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I notice you left out the main one "white middle-class"
Where are the black Marxists and feminists?
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tariq Ali and Ash Sarkar would be two British Asian Marxists who come to mind.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Considering communism really only took hold in poorer less developed countries, I am willing to bet there are many Asian/Black Marxists.
username2861570
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dunno, dyu want me to go put out a search party for them?
Arran90
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
Considering communism really only took hold in poorer less developed countries, I am willing to bet there are many Asian/Black Marxists.
Several African countries flirted with communism but their leaders were more inspired by the Soviet Union and its rapid industrialisation than the theories of Marxism. They were more interested in the development of their countries rather than conflicts between the social classes.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Arran90)
Several African countries flirted with communism but their leaders were more inspired by the Soviet Union and its rapid industrialisation than the theories of Marxism. They were more interested in the development of their countries rather than conflicts between the social classes.
I agree to an extent. But they used the "Marxism" of Lenin to do this. They used the same type of centralised great leaps forward that was characteristic of early communism. I agree this is not uniquely Marxist. but it is what Marxists in power were doing in a lot of countries and communism was a much bigger thing in the poorer less developed countries. There certainly were Marxists in these countries.

Another aspect tying this to Marxism is how central the Soviet Union was in the anti-imperialism of what you are describing. There may not have been much in the way of internal class struggle, but in a geopoltical context all of this was very much in opposition to global capitalism screwing over the poorer countries it had plundered.
Arran90
Rep:
?
I agree to an extent. But they used the "Marxism" of Lenin to do this. They used the same type of centralised great leaps forward that was characteristic of early communism. I agree this is not uniquely Marxist. but it is what Marxists in power were doing in a lot of countries and communism was a much bigger thing in the poorer less developed countries. There certainly were Marxists in these countries
It was more Lenin than Marx. The Soviet Union was a beacon of inspiration for many underdeveloped countries in the post war decades because communism had transformed it from a backwards agrarian country into a heavily industrialised country with a powerful military in a space of just a few decades with no outside help. The Soviet Communists in the mid 20th century were a far cry from the white middle class Marxists of Britain.

If the industrialised Soviet Union did not exist in the post war years, and Marxism was still a political theory largely confined to intellectuals in western nations obsessed with class struggle, then I doubt that any leaders of underdeveloped countries and former colonies would have even bothered with it.

Another aspect tying this to Marxism is how central the Soviet Union was in the anti-imperialism of what you are describing. There may not have been much in the way of internal class struggle, but in a geopoltical context all of this was very much in opposition to global capitalism screwing over the poorer countries it had plundered.
There is truth to this. A form of retaliation towards their colonial masters.
anabeeb_tayyab
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thanks for answering in very good manners
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Arran90)
It was more Lenin than Marx. The Soviet Union was a beacon of inspiration for many underdeveloped countries in the post war decades because communism had transformed it from a backwards agrarian country into a heavily industrialised country with a powerful military in a space of just a few decades with no outside help. The Soviet Communists in the mid 20th century were a far cry from the white middle class Marxists of Britain.

If the industrialised Soviet Union did not exist in the post war years, and Marxism was still a political theory largely confined to intellectuals in western nations obsessed with class struggle, then I doubt that any leaders of underdeveloped countries and former colonies would have even bothered with it.

There is truth to this. A form of retaliation towards their colonial masters.
I mean I don't like Lenin or Leninism and his interpretations of Marx is so antithetical to my own, but are we really going to try and argue Lenin was not a "Marxist"? The fact of the matter is Lenin's brand of Marxism is the brand that won and took over half the planet. The other being the anti-communist social democracy.
Jono*
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The far left is mostly just white nut jobs who like to speak on behalf of 'minorities' who didn't ask to be spoken for.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jono*)
The far left is mostly just white nut jobs who like to speak on behalf of 'minorities' who didn't ask to be spoken for.
So then why did most of the communist revolutions happen in the none white countries?
Jono*
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So then why did most of the communist revolutions happen in the none white countries?
Mute point, the question is specifically talking about the UK, although my answer could be extended to other western countries.

But to answer your question, the west is not gullible and desperate enough to fall for that nonsense on a large scale. Look at the western countries and then look at communist countries, who do you think is better off?
Kaffee_1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey the less Marxists the better
Arran90
Rep:
?
The fact of the matter is Lenin's brand of Marxism is the brand that won and took over half the planet.
The Soviet Union under communism and the Marx worshipping progressive left in Britain are miles apart from each other.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads