The Student Room Group

GCSE Remark

Hi,
I've been wondering whether to get a remark for my Maths GCSE and the deadline for the form is tomorrow!
I only learnt when I came back from the summer holidays that I was actually 1 mark off of a level 8 for Maths. I was pretty happy with my 7 because I found the Maths papers very challenging however it was my only 7 in GCSEs annoyingly 😬
Obviously I'd love to get an 8 but I'm not sure how likely a Maths paper would gain a mark and I have to pay £150 myself if I want to get a remark.
Is it worth it??
Thanks for any responses!
Reply 1
I think maths and engl language are the most important GCSE's and remarking might be a good idea.
I have heard that people who remark and change grades are liable for refunds but I have heard that the process of getting your money back is very long and hard work.
I think if you are doing some sort of maths in the future an 8 might be beneficial if not it is probably beat left alone.
Reply 2
I was in the same position as you - 1 off an 8, I got all 3 papers remarked, 2 didn't change but one paper went up by 3 marks so I would definitely get it remarked.
Reply 3
If you're with Edexcel you can get the papers back for free and see which (if any) papers are worth getting a review for.
Original post by Ghost_0
I think maths and engl language are the most important GCSE's and remarking might be a good idea.
I have heard that people who remark and change grades are liable for refunds but I have heard that the process of getting your money back is very long and hard work.
I think if you are doing some sort of maths in the future an 8 might be beneficial if not it is probably beat left alone.

Thank you for the advice. I'm taking 3 essay-based subjects A-Level so I won't be taking Maths further but I agree it is an important subject so perhaps I should.

Original post by Psaa
I was in the same position as you - 1 off an 8, I got all 3 papers remarked, 2 didn't change but one paper went up by 3 marks so I would definitely get it remarked.

Thanks! Interesting to hear from someone who was in the same position.

Original post by Compost
If you're with Edexcel you can get the papers back for free and see which (if any) papers are worth getting a review for.

Agh, I was so hoping I could do this!! Unfortunately, I'm with AQA and they don't provide the scripts with which you can check for any obvious errors. Would have done that otherwise :frown:

Thank you for all the replies, I feel like I want to do it but I get there's a high chance it also won't go up. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest