What's the difference between a regular laptop and a chromebook?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
From what I see chromebooks are cheaper - can I still use them the same?
On a regular laptop I would probably have a couple of tabs up on my browser plus microsoft word or onenote and I'd save most of my stuff to a memory stick.
Is that all still doable on a chromebook?
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
From what I see chromebooks are cheaper - can I still use them the same?
On a regular laptop I would probably have a couple of tabs up on my browser plus microsoft word or onenote and I'd save most of my stuff to a memory stick.
Is that all still doable on a chromebook?
On a laptop, you're most likely running Windows, which means you can use pretty much any software you want to. On a Chromebook, your operating system is pretty much just a web browser, which means what you can do is limited to whether it has a website.

If you aren't sure of what applies to you, go for a Chromebook, because it sounds like all you really need is Word and browsing - and you can get the browser version of Word through the Office website (free, as long as you have a Live account).
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Tootles)
On a laptop, you're most likely running Windows, which means you can use pretty much any software you want to. On a Chromebook, your operating system is pretty much just a web browser, which means what you can do is limited to whether it has a website.

If you aren't sure of what applies to you, go for a Chromebook, because it sounds like all you really need is Word and browsing - and you can get the browser version of Word through the Office website (free, as long as you have a Live account).
I might need to use it on the commute to uni, too, and there's no wifi on my train. Does that mean I won't be able to access stuff with no internet?
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I might need to use it on the commute to uni, too, and there's no wifi on my train. Does that mean I won't be able to access stuff with no internet?
Yes. But you could tether to a smartphone with mobile data (essentially set your phone up as a temporary WiFi hotspot), or get a Chromebook that has 4G capability (though that depends on your budget).

However: I've just Googled this to make sure, and it turns out there are Office apps available for ChromeOS too. Check this page out:
https://lifehacker.com/you-can-now-r...boo-1820853304 /
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (35)
18.13%
No one else does (64)
33.16%
I'm embarrassed about my background (18)
9.33%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (66)
34.2%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.55%
I don't have a camera (2)
1.04%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed