The Student Room Group

Bristol Law instead of Durham Law?

dsfsa
(edited 9 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

It will not affect your prospects in the slightest.

And you made a wise decision. The two cities are hugely different; Bristol is significantly more vibrant and has many more restaurants on Deliveroo. Several Prets, which is key.
Reply 2
Original post by sami1815
Hi I received offers from both Durham and Bristol for Law at A*AA. I chose Bristol because I preferred the city, it was closer to home and London etc. I am now starting to regret this decision slightly as Durham seems to be a fair bit better for Law, despite requiring the same grades. Will this decision affect my prospects significantly? Is there any potential in transferring to another University? Any advice anyone can give me?

Thanks in advance

Literally, as above, it will not affect you one bit. Law firms may have some preference over some unis (not all law firms per se), but they'll never go 'oh he went to X while the other went to Y which is slightly better - we should get the latter'. I've been involved quite a lot in ACs and whatnot to realise that this thinking, which I also shared before starting uni, is ridiculous in the grand scheme of things.

Besides, it'll be much easier to actually attend ACs in London, and as you said the city is miles better for someone who wants a vibrant environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Game over for you mate, why on earth would you choose Bristol, a University which gives out random AAB offers to a number of students for it's Law course whilst Durham firmly requires minimum A*AA-AAA?

Would advise you to instead pursue a career in brick-laying.
Original post by Slaughter&amp
Game over for you mate, why on earth would you choose Bristol, a University which gives out random AAB offers to a number of students for it's Law course whilst Durham firmly requires minimum A*AA-AAA?

Would advise you to instead pursue a career in brick-laying.

Bristol standard offer is A*AA and those AAB offers are made to a minority and given to people who went to bad state schools. Hope you're trolling, and do you have any actual legal career knowledge to back up your claims?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by _Fergo
Literally, as above, it will not affect you one bit. Law firms may have some preference over some unis (not all law firms per se), but they'll never go 'oh he went to X while the other went to Y which is slightly better - we should get the latter'. I've been involved quite a lot in ACs and whatnot to realise that this thinking, which I also shared before starting uni, is ridiculous in the grand scheme of things.

Besides, it'll be much easier to actually attend ACs in London, and as you said the city is miles better for someone who wants a vibrant environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi thanks for your reply, what exactly do you mean by AC's? Sorry if it comes off as ignorant
Reply 6
Original post by Slaughter&Ovary
Many of my dumb private school pals went to Bristol on ABB for non law courses and AAB for Law, when their offers were AAA, good luck coming across Bristol law students with A*AA (an offer which is new to 2018 entry, previously had been AAA at a push)

Anyhow, it's game over for your legal career buddy. Perhaps take a year out?

I've actually not met anyone with AAB, dear troll. But still, how does that make people 'dumb'?

Hi thanks for your reply, what exactly do you mean by AC's? Sorry if it comes off as ignorant

Assesment centres, basically the final stage for vac schemes and often TCs, which however may also require a final partner interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Many of my dumb private school pals went to Bristol on ABB for non law courses and AAB for Law, when their offers were AAA, good luck coming across Bristol law students with A*AA (an offer which is new to 2018 entry, previously had been AAA at a push)

Obvious troll is obvious, but this also supposes that Durham strictly only accepts those with A*AA. They don't.
Original post by Slaughter&amp

My offer was A*AA and I achieved those grades. I also went to a private school. Are you at all employed in the legal profession? I knew Durham was better but not significantly so. I can't take a year out parents won't support it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
Obvious troll is obvious, but this also supposes that Durham strictly only accepts those with A*AA. They don't.

AAA minimum pal, words from the Dean of Durham Law School on Open Day. Still a tier above Bristol nonetheless!

My offer was A*AA, I went to a private school. Are you at all employed in the legal profession?

I too attended a Private School but have clearly come out better, wouldn't dream of flocking to the sub-par public school unis such as Exeter and Bristol. Oh I am a second year in a Top 5 Law School in the UK, secured a VAC scheme in my First Year Summer of 2018 at a Silver Circle.
AAA minimum pal, words from the Dean of Durham Law School on Open Day. Still a tier above Bristol nonetheless!

I too attended a Private School but have clearly come out better, wouldn't dream of flocking to the sub-par public school unis such as Exeter and Bristol. Oh I am a second year in a Top 5 Law School in the UK, secured a VAC scheme in my First Year Summer of 2018 at a Silver Circle.

Which University exactly? Also I'm sure firms would look at Alevel grades to see applicants are rather similar. I achieved A*AA in traditional subjects I'm guessing you achieved something similar? Which firm are you looking at because most magic circle firms etc have trainees from Bristol, Exeter, Durham etc.
There’s no difference in ‘prestige’ between the two.

Bristol is probably better careers wise because easier to attend firm events in London
Which University exactly? Also I'm sure firms would look at Alevel grades to see applicants are rather similar. I achieved A*AA in traditional subjects I'm guessing you achieved something similar? Which firm are you looking at because most magic circle firms etc have trainees from Bristol, Exeter, Durham etc.

I won't make a public comment on which institution I attend, Durham is a great Uni obviously, it was 1 of my 5 UCAS choices, hats off to you for getting an offer, however you rejected the offer and have ended up at Bristol with the dregs of private school institutions.

Not sure our Thom did tell you that. If he did, I am not sure how true it is. Durham is a much smaller law school than Bristol and still it took in 64 near misses last year to Bristol's 18. Further, Durham does have widening participation and diversity commitments -- meaning the poor kids' offers would necessarily be lower than A*AA (https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/policy/fairaccess/). They say one or two grades below. Yet Durham decides to take them in still? Might be AAB by the end of it, maybe less?

Who knows. All conjecture.

Didn't realise vac was an initialism. What secrets do those initials hold, might I ask?
(edited 5 years ago)
Heard you the first time PAL!
Original post by J-SP
No it won’t affect your prospects at all.

If anything Durham law probably does slightly worse in terms of employability than Bristol. Durham always tends to be represented by a heavy proportion of non-law students.

That's cos the intellectual elites at Durham go to the bar. The second-rate minds in English and history divert themselves to the rolls.
Original post by J-SP
😂

Although I think the non law grads do particularly well in the Bar too

The Bristol lot always seemed more of a City mindset; more professional and business-like. Less prone to join debating teams and pretend they're at Oxford.
Original post by Notoriety
And you made a wise decision. The two cities are hugely different; Bristol is significantly more vibrant and has many more restaurants on Deliveroo. Several Prets, which is key.

Correct priorities. Don't want to be reduced to buying lunch in a Costa. No amount of castles could justify that sacrifice.

On the other hand, if you want to go to Bristol you should first watch a few episodes of Doc Martin and make sure you can understand everything. Otherwise you're done for.
Do you know Mr Brooks personally? Nope? That's what I thought.
No you aren't, dream on friend

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending