The Student Room Group

Should I go to Sheffield or Warwick for biomedical sciences?

Both are quite high in ranking in terms of my course however Warwick is ranked 11th compared to Sheffield which is ranked 18th.
I have heard that Sheffield is a great town for students and I must admit it is quite pretty but I have not had the chance to visit Warwick and from what I have researched it is not as good as Sheffield.

I am thankful for any opinions on the matter.
Thanks
Reply 1
It's a difficult decision. However, it might be helpful to look at other factors. The student experience at University of Sheffield has been #1 in England for many years, which is an important factor that you might take into consideration. It is also a very good city for students, and 10% of the entire city population is students. Sheffield also has great accommodation and is overall a cheap city to live in. To be completely sure, you should definitely apply to both and consider traveling to Warwick.

I applied to the University of Edinburgh and University of Sheffield, and knew I was going to choose Sheffield, due to the student experience ranking, and low living costs. Hope this helps!
Original post by Mica barnbrook

Both are quite high in ranking in terms of my course however Warwick is ranked 11th compared to Sheffield which is ranked 18th.
I have heard that Sheffield is a great town for students and I must admit it is quite pretty but I have not had the chance to visit Warwick and from what I have researched it is not as good as Sheffield.

Thanks

I'd go with Sheffield - there are two unis so it's very student friendly. Warwick is a 'marmite' uni and much more remote from anywhere.
Ah ok. Thank you so much!

Thanks

Do go to both open days and imagine living there for a year.
Do ask or find out what industry connections they have, what employment rates are.

I would say generally Warwick is ranked higher, but as you say this is for a specific course and Sheffield has its strengths.

As pointed out affordable and large variety of student accommodation.
One of the very best and most active student unions.
Much more to do.
Cheaper cost of living.
Easy access to everywhere else.
Not trapped on campus.
Relatively safe and friendly city.

Contact the respective student societies. they will likely be biased.

Bio society Warwick
https://www.warwicksu.com/societies/biosoc/

Biomedical Asoc Sheffield, also has biology, and Bio engineering plus a postgrad Biomed
https://su.sheffield.ac.uk/groups/biomedical-science
Ah ok. Thank you so much!

I would choose Warwick since they are more well known and they are improving their sciences campus as well. Plus their remote campus gives a uni vibe unlike city campuses
Original post by 999tigger
Do go to both open days and imagine living there for a year.
Do ask or find out what industry connections they have, what employment rates are.

I would say generally Warwick is ranked higher, but as you say this is for a specific course and Sheffield has its strengths.

As pointed out affordable and large variety of student accommodation.
One of the very best and most active student unions.
Much more to do.
Cheaper cost of living.
Easy access to everywhere else.
Not trapped on campus.
Relatively safe and friendly city.

Contact the respective student societies. they will likely be biased.

Bio society Warwick
https://www.warwicksu.com/societies/biosoc/

Biomedical Asoc Sheffield, also has biology, and Bio engineering plus a postgrad Biomed
https://su.sheffield.ac.uk/groups/biomedical-science

I would have liked to go to the opening days but I am living overseas at the moment. Thanks for the information though! :biggrin:

Well Warwick uni is actually in Coventry so visiting Warwick probably wouldn't do you much good :p:

The Sheffield Student union gets consistently voted the best in the UK and the city is very student dominated with the two unis, so that's worth considering.

I know nothing about the courses, but i wouldn't pay much attention to purely a number in the rankings. Why do they get that rank? Where are they good, and where are they less good? Look into it in more detail than you are doing currently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending