Public Law Textbooks

Watch this thread
AscxJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I need some help with recommendations for Public Law textbooks. I am considering Hilaire Barnett (it is the most used one here besides Andrew Le Sueur) and Mark Elliott. But I am also open to any other books. =)
Audrey18
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AscxJ)
Hi, I need some help with recommendations for Public Law textbooks. I am considering Hilaire Barnett (it is the most used one here besides Andrew Le Sueur) and Mark Elliott. But I am also open to any other books. =)
Hilaire Barnett's book is a pain to read. It's extremely boring and might make you dislike the subject even more since it's already so bland to begin with.

Mark Elliott's book is very extensive maybe because he's a Cambridge professor? so you might be dwelling too much on one section of a chapter or a chapter unnecessarily.

Use Gary Slapper's book. Very interesting, covers the subject comprehensively and makes you think about issues.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Leg...dp_ob_title_bk

another easy to read ELS book is by Catherine Elliott.
https://www.amazon.com/English-Legal.../dp/1408267063
AscxJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Audrey18)
Hilaire Barnett's book is a pain to read. It's extremely boring and might make you dislike the subject even more since it's already so bland to begin with.

Mark Elliott's book is very extensive maybe because he's a Cambridge professor? so you might be dwelling too much on one section of a chapter or a chapter unnecessarily.

Use Gary Slapper's book. Very interesting, covers the subject comprehensively and makes you think about issues.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Leg...dp_ob_title_bk

another easy to read ELS book is by Catherine Elliott.
https://www.amazon.com/English-Legal.../dp/1408267063
Hey I appreciate the feedback. But I'm not talking about English Legal System. >.<

What about John Stanton's Public Law? Is it good?
Audrey18
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AscxJ)
Hey I appreciate the feedback. But I'm not talking about English Legal System. >.<

What about John Stanton's Public Law? Is it good?
the first 3 are public law books. I linked the ELS book wrongly. Disregard the last book. That one is meant for English Legal System.

I've never heard of John Stanton. Best if you ask your lecturers about it.

I had 2 friends who are very intelligent. But at the end of the first year they failed 2 subjects, scored borderline for the third and scored distinction for public law. They put all their eggs into one basket because they became very engrossed in public law. Best bit? Both of them are from Asia. That's why some of the British lads took the mickey out of them saying that the 2 who got distinction for Public Law were so into the subject given that they were not even British.

They were told to leave the uni, left the UK, dropped out of law altogether and doing some mickey mouse degrees in other fields back in their home countries.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Audrey18)
the first 3 are public law books. I linked the ELS book wrongly. Disregard the last book. That one is meant for English Legal System.

I've never heard of John Stanton. Best if you ask your lecturers about it.

I had 2 friends who are very intelligent. But at the end of the first year they failed 2 subjects, scored borderline for the third and scored distinction for public law. They put all their eggs into one basket because they became very engrossed in public law. Best bit? Both of them are from Asia. That's why some of the British lads took the mickey out of them saying that the 2 who got distinction for Public Law were so into the subject given that they were not even British.

They were told to leave the uni, left the UK, dropped out of law altogether and doing some mickey mouse degrees in other fields back in their home countries.
Audrey! My friend. And who knew you were a lawyer for the AfD! You must have your work cut out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.71%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
7.14%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (19)
16.96%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (27)
24.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20.54%

Watched Threads