Advice on renting privately - urgent help needed Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If i rent privately, legally speaking, what am i required to do?

If someone has a room in their house and charges £500 for it, do i legally need to sign official documentation for that room, or can i give them cash/bank transfer and leave the legal side to them?
DieselGate
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should have some sort of tenancy agreement, how can you prove the money you're paying is to rent the room otherwise?

You'll have more rights and a notice period with a tenancy agreement, rather than without a tenancy agreement.

You could be kicked out at any moment and not have a leg to stand on without a tenancy agreement.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need a tenancy agreement covering:
- responsibility for repairs
- notice period for leaving
- how much rent is due and when

You need to ensure any deposit is put into a deposit protection scheme and document any damage to the dwelling when you move on.

You also need to pay in a traceable way ie no cash!!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DieselGate)
You should have some sort of tenancy agreement, how can you prove the money you're paying is to rent the room otherwise?

You'll have more rights and a notice period with a tenancy agreement, rather than without a tenancy agreement.

You could be kicked out at any moment and not have a leg to stand on without a tenancy agreement.
(Original post by doodle_333)
You need a tenancy agreement covering:
- responsibility for repairs
- notice period for leaving
- how much rent is due and when

You need to ensure any deposit is put into a deposit protection scheme and document any damage to the dwelling when you move on.

You also need to pay in a traceable way ie no cash!!
I spoke to a landlord who wanted to do this privately without the tenancy agreement. Is there any documentation i can print off somewhere and get that signed? Who supplies the tenancy agreement? Furthermore, could i potentially make sure on the bank daft to the guy, i write down the reason for making a cash transfer deposit?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I spoke to a landlord who wanted to do this privately without the tenancy agreement. Is there any documentation i can print off somewhere and get that signed? Who supplies the tenancy agreement? Furthermore, could i potentially make sure on the bank daft to the guy, i write down the reason for making a cash transfer deposit?
He's dodgy. If he won't do it properly, then don't bother with him, no matter how cheap it looks now, it will cost you in the long run because he isn't a legitimate landlord.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need to protect yourself or you could end up homeless with no notice, have you deposit stolen etc etc. When you make the transfer you can provide a code eg RENT (ADDRESS ) but that won't give you any security against eviction, if your landlord won't fix something etc.
DieselGate
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Probably for tax avoidance purposes. But the landlord should provide a tenancy agreement for you to both sign.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by threeportdrift)
He's dodgy. If he won't do it properly, then don't bother with him, no matter how cheap it looks now, it will cost you in the long run because he isn't a legitimate landlord.
I'll be cautious as you have advised here. Would it necessarily be illegal if one were not to have a tenancy agreement ? Or is that just to safeguard all parties.
Essentially, i actually wouldn't mind losing the deposit necessarily, given that i am getting a small room rather cheaply. This is also someone that is known - rather than an entirely random person, as his kids know many people i know in a community centre. I just want to make sure whatever i sign is legally done even if i even pursue this. If it is not legal to rent without an agreement i will not do so at all. I'm actually not sure if he said without one or he was going to do a roll-on-roll off one rather than a six month one.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by doodle_333)
You need to protect yourself or you could end up homeless with no notice, have you deposit stolen etc etc. When you make the transfer you can provide a code eg RENT (ADDRESS ) but that won't give you any security against eviction, if your landlord won't fix something etc.
I will make sure to steer away i guess. I think he may have said month by month contract rather than a six month one. If i were to put that code on the transfer and the address - is there any legal benefit?
Anonymous #1
anyone else?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (0)
0%
I really love the subject (5)
83.33%
I don't know what else to do (1)
16.67%
I can't get a job (0)
0%
My parents want me to (0)
0%