The Student Room Group

UKMT Thread- 2018/2019

Poll

What was your mark on this year's SMC?

Here's a thread all about preparing for UKMT exams this academic year! Based on the 2017-2018 thread.

Dates of this year's Challenges:

Senior Maths Challenge- Tuesday 6 Nov 2018
Intermediate Maths Challenge- Thursday 7 Feb 2019
Junior Maths Challenge- Tuesday 30 April 2019

Dates of this year's follow-on rounds:

Senior Kangaroo- Friday 30th November 2018
British Mathematical Olympiad Round One- Friday 30th November 2018
British Mathematical Olympiad Round Two- Thursday 24th January 2019
Senior Team Maths Challenge- National Final- 5th February 2019
Intermediate Kangaroo- Thursday 21st March 2019
Intermediate Mathematical Olympiad- Thursday 21st March 2019
Junior Kangaroo- Thursday 11th June 2019
Junior Mathematical Olympiad- Thursday 11th June 2019

UKMT Website- https://www.ukmt.org.uk/
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Am preparing for the UKMT Mathematical Olympiad for Girls on 2nd October- not quite sure how closely gendered contests reflect my ethics, but there you go. It seems fairly straightforward, not much difference from the Cayley Olympiad. Any advice? Anyone taken it before?
(edited 5 years ago)
Thanks for making the thread! @TheGame314
Reply 3
Hello lads
Reply 4
Is anyone doing maths
Original post by TheGame314
Am preparing for the UKMT Mathematical Olympiad for Girls on 2nd October- not quite sure how closely gendered contests reflect my ethics, but there you go. It seems fairly straightforward, not much difference from the Cayley Olympiad. Any advice? Anyone taken it before?

Will you add the STMC? Heats start in November and early December ... dates here:

http://furthermaths.org.uk/?section=teachers&page=stmchallenge

National Final Tuesday 5th February 2019
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
Will you add the STMC? Heats start in November and early December ... dates here:

http://furthermaths.org.uk/?section=teachers&page=stmchallenge

National Final Tuesday 5th February 2019

Have just done :smile:
Reply 7
PLAN:

1) Scrape bmo1 entry
2) Scrape distinction
3) Don't suck

???????

Profit
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Your Local Cat
PLAN:

1) Scrape bmo1 entry
2) Scrape distinction
3) Don't suck

???????

Profit

Good plan. I've done 1 and 2, don't think I've done 3 yet though.
Let's goooo!!!

Where are my Senior Maths Challenge BMO Competitors at?:biggrin:
You need an average IQ of 110 to get a distinction in bmo1, it's not hard. If you're being serious I suggest you participate in the UKLO instead, it's made for those with a much lower math level.
I got an IMO medal at the age of 15. I lost it at my school show and tell, however
Are you doing both Junior Olympiad and BMO this year as well?
this year can go one of two ways.

>smash BMO2 ebic despacito style

>flop, sit in corner and cry

lets go champ
Ah. JMO was quite tricky the first time I tried it. good luck
^we got a few wrongs uns here.

Spoiler

A person of your ability should certainly put their efforts towards the most prestigious maths certification in the world - The PMC participation certificate.
Reply 17
Anyone got any bright ideas for BMO1 prep? There's a load of new stuff going from IMOK to BMO1, I got a book prize last year in Maclaurin, but it's still quite a jump to BMO1 level... Is there any point in trying to learn new techniques (bar induction) that may be needed beyond IMOK? I feel like just binging past BMO1 problems aren't exactly the most efficient way forward atm and would like any advice for people who have made the jump (successfully or not:tongue:)
Reply 18
Can't wait for the annual onslaught of people making tsr accounts to post that they've gotten 110+ in the smc
Original post by Your Local Cat
Can't wait for the annual onslaught of people making tsr accounts to post that they've gotten 110+ in the smc

Original post by LT13
Anyone got any bright ideas for BMO1 prep? There's a load of new stuff going from IMOK to BMO1, I got a book prize last year in Maclaurin, but it's still quite a jump to BMO1 level... Is there any point in trying to learn new techniques (bar induction) that may be needed beyond IMOK? I feel like just binging past BMO1 problems aren't exactly the most efficient way forward atm and would like any advice for people who have made the jump (successfully or not:tongue:)

The prime Number Thereom is useful. Vieta jumping, difference of 15 cubes identity and Lagrange Multipliers can kill some problems. I got 54/60 on bmo1 last year because I wasn't able to prove the Riemann Hypothesis in time to apply it to question 1. I hope this helps- let me know if you need anything else.

also practice lots of senior kangaroo questions!

Quick Reply

Latest