UKMT Thread- 2018/2019 Watch

Poll: What was your mark on this year's SMC?
40 or less (11)
6.55%
41-50 (4)
2.38%
51-60 (9)
5.36%
61-70 (16)
9.52%
71-80 (23)
13.69%
81-90 (21)
12.5%
91-100 (19)
11.31%
101-110 (32)
19.05%
111-120 (13)
7.74%
121+ (well done!) (20)
11.9%
J843126028
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by jbaillie2002)
Ah. JMO was quite tricky the first time I tried it. good luck
With a bit of luck I should be able to scrape that JMO merit.
SumOfSquares
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
^we got a few wrongs uns here.
Spoiler:
Show
jk lol
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
J843126028
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by SumOfSquares)
^we got a few wrongs uns here.
Spoiler:
Show

jk lol
The JMO merit is a highly coveted award, just like the IMOK merit.
SumOfSquares
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by J843126028)
The JMO merit is a highly coveted award, just like the IMOK merit.
A person of your ability should certainly put their efforts towards the most prestigious maths certification in the world - The PMC participation certificate.
J843126028
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by SumOfSquares)
A person of your ability should certainly put their efforts towards the most prestigious maths certification in the world - The PMC participation certificate.
Nah... I'm too good for that sort of thing. After redoing my GCSE English (in which I got a grade 2) your PMC participation will be nothing compared to my GCSE grade 4. Even the grade 2 I think is a much greater achievement.

(and that's not just because I was never good enough to earn one of those PMC participation awards)
LT13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Anyone got any bright ideas for BMO1 prep? There's a load of new stuff going from IMOK to BMO1, I got a book prize last year in Maclaurin, but it's still quite a jump to BMO1 level... Is there any point in trying to learn new techniques (bar induction) that may be needed beyond IMOK? I feel like just binging past BMO1 problems aren't exactly the most efficient way forward atm and would like any advice for people who have made the jump (successfully or not)
J843126028
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by LT13)
Anyone got any bright ideas for BMO1 prep? There's a load of new stuff going from IMOK to BMO1, I got a book prize last year in Maclaurin, but it's still quite a jump to BMO1 level... Is there any point in trying to learn new techniques (bar induction) that may be needed beyond IMOK? I feel like just binging past BMO1 problems aren't exactly the most efficient way forward atm and would like any advice for people who have made the jump (successfully or not)
I prepared using mind maps and flashcards. Foundation GCSE English Language papers are also quite a useful resource.

Spoiler:
Show

Binging past problems is the way to go, but don't spend time on the ones you find obvious so that you only have a success rate of around... I'd say 1/3.
Your Local Cat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Can't wait for the annual onslaught of people making tsr accounts to post that they've gotten 110+ in the smc
jbaillie2002
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Your Local Cat)
Can't wait for the annual onslaught of people making tsr accounts to post that they've gotten 110+ in the smc
(Original post by LT13)
The prime Number Thereom is useful. Vieta jumping, difference of 15 cubes identity and Lagrange Multipliers can kill some problems. I got 54/60 on bmo1 last year because I wasn't able to prove the Riemann Hypothesis in time to apply it to question 1. I hope this helps- let me know if you need anything else.

also practice lots of senior kangaroo questions!
J843126028
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The prime Number Thereom is useful. Vieta jumping, difference of 15 cubes identity and Lagrange Multipliers can kill some problems. I got 54/60 on bmo1 last year because I wasn't able to prove the Riemann Hypothesis in time to apply it to question 1. I hope this helps- let me know if you need anything else.

also practice lots of senior kangaroo questions!
You forgot Brouwer's fixed-point theorem.
J843126028
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Your Local Cat)
Maybe there should be an SMC score spam thread where you spam your score + k, where k is the amount you add to it in the post.
jbaillie2002
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You forgot Brouwer's fixed-point theorem.
oh fudgesicles!
A02
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by LT13)
Ignore what's just been posted by J843126028 and jbaillie2002, I have no idea what they are talking about.

Honestly, just doing BMO1 problems is the way to improve. Papers earlier than 2000 are slightly different in style, so it's probably best not to spend too much time on them. There's not much theory needed, except induction, which is a fairly natural idea.

Knowing what modular arithmetic is can often make arguments a lot easier to express, and the Chinese Remainder Theorem is occasionally useful, but for BMO1 is not essential. AM-GM is worth knowing, as is the pigeonhole principle, although the pigeonhole principle is really just common sense. For geometry, power of a point comes up a lot, and knowing GCSE circle theorems is essential. It's also worth knowing what if and only if means.
J843126028
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by A02)
Ignore what's just been posted by J843126028 and jbaillie2002, I have no idea what they are talking about.

Honestly, just doing BMO1 problems is the way to improve. Papers earlier than 2000 are slightly different in style, so it's probably best not to spend too much time on them. There's not much theory needed, except induction, which is a fairly natural idea.

Knowing what modulo arithmetic is can often make arguments a lot easier to express, and the Chinese Remainder Theorem is occasionally useful, but for BMO1 is not essential. AM-GM is worth knowing, as is the pigeonhole principle, although the pigeonhole principle is really just common sense. For geometry, power of a point comes up a lot, and knowing GCSE circle theorems is essential. It's also worth knowing what if and only if means.
You mean you didn't write any formulae on flashcards?!
jbaillie2002
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by A02)

Knowing what modulo arithmetic is can often make arguments a lot easier to express, and the Chinese Remainder Theorem is occasionally useful, but for BMO1 is not essential. AM-GM is worth knowing, as is the pigeonhole principle, although the pigeonhole principle is really just common sense. For geometry, power of a point comes up a lot, and knowing GCSE circle theorems is essential. It's also worth knowing what if and only if means.
modular*.
jbaillie2002
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by A02)

how many flashcards did you make? what was the usual day like for you preparing for bmo1 last year?
A02
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You mean you didn't write any formulae on flashcards?!
No, since you don't have to memorise formulae for BMO1.
J843126028
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by A02)
jbaillie2002
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by A02)
What formula should be memorized for bmo2
J843126028
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
What formula should be memorized for bmo2
Not much in terms of formulae, but you need to keep your French vocabulary ticking over.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (195)
22.62%
The paper was reasonable (395)
45.82%
Not feeling great about that exam... (158)
18.33%
It was TERRIBLE (114)
13.23%

Watched Threads