The Student Room Group

Dropping physics A - level?

I have been doing AQA physics. Although, I love the subject it is difficult for me to grab hold of way the questions are asked. I do understand the content and physics is my 4th A-level so I need to know if I will be better off or worse. Because I know physics can be easy?
If you do physics, can you tell me how you can get an A atleast?
In my experience, it often depends on what part of physics you begin at. If you start at electricity, there is a strong foundation from GCSE knowledge as it builds from that. However if you begin on Particles/Quantum Phenomena, it can be hard to pick the concepts up and thereby might put you off from physics.

My advice would be to have a look at all the topics in physics, look at the start of each topic and see if it still interests you.

If you enjoy it, it makes studying it much, much easier.

Speaking from experience, did get an A
Reply 2
Original post by Obliviously
In my experience, it often depends on what part of physics you begin at. If you start at electricity, there is a strong foundation from GCSE knowledge as it builds from that. However if you begin on Particles/Quantum Phenomena, it can be hard to pick the concepts up and thereby might put you off from physics.

My advice would be to have a look at all the topics in physics, look at the start of each topic and see if it still interests you.

If you enjoy it, it makes studying it much, much easier.

Speaking from experience, did get an A

Our school knew about how hard particle physics would be, however they started from mechanics which is completely fine. I will do that and think about it. I really appreciate your help.
Original post by TurboZX453
Our school knew about how hard particle physics would be, however they started from mechanics which is completely fine. I will do that and think about it. I really appreciate your help.

No problem!
Imo, physics is very conceptually difficult compared to other subjects and so it can be very hard when learning a topic at first. You really have to stick with it and keep going over material before it finally clicks. When you reach that point the concepts become a lot more manageable and so too will the questions being asked.
Reply 5
Original post by alevelphysicist
Imo, physics is very conceptually difficult compared to other subjects and so it can be very hard when learning a topic at first. You really have to stick with it and keep going over material before it finally clicks. When you reach that point the concepts become a lot more manageable and so too will the questions being asked.

It is, so how do you manage/managed it?
Original post by TurboZX453
It is, so how do you manage/managed it?

So I would skim read the textbook and make notes in pencil of the key ideas before class. Going into class I could better process the new concepts and I could start doing questions as soon as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest