The Student Room Group

Can I apply to biomed if my personal statement's not on biomed?

Ive been told out of the 4 choices i can use for medicine/dentistry, i should use one as biomed, and the rest medicine bc ik i have low chance of doing medicine. But i think i lt would be silly if i applied to biomed with a personal statement all about medicine, and nothing about biomed? Is it worth the risk? Or should i put all 4 choices medicine
There is enough overlap to talk about both of them. I applied for natural sciences at some unis and physics at others. Universities don't mind as long as your personal statement talks about what skills you have etc. Biomedical courses will get a lot of applicants like you so they will be understanding
My statement is very medicine centred... I have talked about the skills I gained but it’s all related to medicine. I’m also going for biomed, will it be fine or do I need to write a different one?
One of my friends applied this year for 2018 to 4 medical schools and UCL for Biomed and got the UCL Biomed offer so I believe it is indeed possible to do so. Wish you all the best of luck with your application.
Reply 4
Original post by iniajayi
One of my friends applied this year for 2018 to 4 medical schools and UCL for Biomed and got the UCL Biomed offer so I believe it is indeed possible to do so. Wish you all the best of luck with your application.

Original post by yolkie
There is enough overlap to talk about both of them. I applied for natural sciences at some unis and physics at others. Universities don't mind as long as your personal statement talks about what skills you have etc. Biomedical courses will get a lot of applicants like you so they will be understanding

Thank u, also from looking at entry requirements theyre so low, BBC, if i get higher than that, i heard i get rejected for biomed, do i have to get BBC or can i get higher for that uni and they will still accept me
Reply 5
Haha ur so lucky 😩i just wanna get into med but theyre telling me to put atleast 1choice biomed, what if that couldve been another choice for med ahhh
Thread title corrected and thread moved so it appears in Biology, biochemistry and other life sciences university courses.:smile:
Most BMS courses accept medicine statements, but check with the university in question - they usually indicate if they will consider personal statements for medicine without prejudice or not. Oxford (for BMS) and Cambridge (for Natural Sciences Biological Sciences entry) specifically state they don't accept such statements. Additionally some BMS courses are specifically designed to train prospective NHS Biomedical Scientists for their training scheme - these courses have different structures (and some different content) from standard "academic" BMS courses, and may not be inclined to view a medicine personal statement favourably.

As usual the best answer is the one from the universities offering the course(s) of interest themselves, either from the webpages for the course(s) or by contacting them directly if you can't find an answer that way.

Original post by usernamenew
Haha ur so lucky 😩i just wanna get into med but theyre telling me to put atleast 1choice biomed, what if that couldve been another choice for med ahhh

My understanding is UCAS require this to more or less ensure applicants will have at least one offer, even if it's "just" for their backup in BMS or similar. Applying to 5 medicine courses would make it so there is a very real chance you would have no offers. Additionally usually if 4 medical schools aren't making offers or acceptances, it's very unlikely a 5th would as there is probably some specific issue with your application then (lack of appropriate experience, poor A-level grades, poor UKCAT/BMAT, bad interviews at all choices, unfocused personal statement, etc) which would be applicable to any medical school. However some of those issues at least are either not applicable for BMS/similar courses, or may be less of an issue for them and they might have more leeway to be flexible in considering your application.
Original post by usernamenew
Thank u, also from looking at entry requirements theyre so low, BBC, if i get higher than that, i heard i get rejected for biomed, do i have to get BBC or can i get higher for that uni and they will still accept me

If you get the requirements or exceed them they’ll let you in. Sometimes on Results Day the unis can be lenient and allow you in with grades lower than required. However please don’t bank on that. Just try your best to do as well as possible but not so much so that you overwork yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest