Medicine A-levels Watch

Iqrax0
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I want to do medicine at university. But I don’t understand why a level chemistry is mandatory and required by nearly all universities but biology isn’t . Like isn’t medicine all about the human body so shouldn’t biology be more important than chemistry not the other way round ? I’m really confused . Does chemistry form the basis of the understanding of the content ? And will I be disadvantaged if I don’t take chemistry as Manchester require bio or chem ? But apart from that unis what chemistry and another science . Why is chemistry so important ?
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Iqrax0)
I want to do medicine at university. But I don’t understand why a level chemistry is mandatory and required by nearly all universities but biology isn’t . Like isn’t medicine all about the human body so shouldn’t biology be more important than chemistry not the other way round ? I’m really confused . Does chemistry form the basis of the understanding of the content ? And will I be disadvantaged if I don’t take chemistry as Manchester require bio or chem ? But apart from that unis what chemistry and another science . Why is chemistry so important ?
There has been lots of discussion on this before: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2576684 and https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4409890 being 2 threads. (Note: please don't bump these old threads)

If Chemistry isn't listed, or it's Chemistry or Biology then you won't be disadvantaged. Read https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf for the entry requirements. I would still take Chemistry otherwise your choices will be unnecessarily limited.

Note: there is also a lot of Biology that's not relevant such as plant stuff.
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
From what I've heard because of how hard A-level chemistry is supposedly meant to be. Don't know if this is actually the reason and I also think the difficulty of chemistry is overrated.

And yes, if you apply to somewhere that asks for chemistry, without having taken chemistry, you will be rejected.
Last edited by Royal Oak; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (73)
7.82%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.79%