Reapplying to a university that I got rejected from? Watch

jimmy432
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So I have to retake biology (got an A in chem and maths but a B in biology). I will probably apply to 3 universities for medicine and 2 for biochemistry for 2019 entry.

Last year I applied to all 5 universities for biochemistry but this year I changed my mind to apply for medicine but because I am retaking an A-level then my medical school choices are limited and I DO NOT want to take a second gap year so if I don't get into medical school then I am going to do biochemistry.

However, I have a dilemma because I've written a medicine personal statement and therefore the 2 universities that I am applying to (Imperial College London and probably UCL) will see my medicine personal statement. I also applied to Imperial College London and UCL for biochemistry last year as well (but it was a MSc not a Bsc); UCL accepted me but Imperial rejected me.

Would having a medicine personal statement put me at a disadvantage (especially with Imperial College London)? I still have my old biochemistry personal statement which probably needs redoing as imperial college didn't accept me last year with it. I will probably email my alternative PS to Imperial and UCL once my application has been sent off.

Thoughts/suggestions please?
Arctic Kitten
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Regarding ucl, their offer is A*AA for med so you will need another A Level. However they stated that:

Candidates may re-sit GCSE subjects in order to meet the GCSE requirements. Graduates who re-sat A levels before their degree will also be considered. Otherwise, we do not accept qualification re-sits, including re-starting Year 12.

So you won’t be able to make it anyway.
As for imperial:

Minimum entry standards
Our minimum entry standard for 2019 entry is AAA overall, to include:

A in Biology
A in Chemistry
A in a third subject
The minimum entry requirements must be met in one examination sitting.

General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted.

Typical offer range
As a guide, here are the typical offers made in 2017 to at least 85% of applicants studying A-levels:

Three A-level offer: A*AA (including an A* in either Biology or Chemistry).

So they don’t like resits (one sitting) and the typical offer is A*AA (mind you, the minimum offer is only for a few that are exceptional), same situation as above.
This is what is on their website, if your tutors, teachers or family and friends had done similar/know similar case then listen to them. But according to the website you are unlikely to get in.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by jimmy432)
So I have to retake biology (got an A in chem and maths but a B in biology). I will probably apply to 3 universities for medicine and 2 for biochemistry for 2019 entry.

Last year I applied to all 5 universities for biochemistry but this year I changed my mind to apply for medicine but because I am retaking an A-level then my medical school choices are limited and I DO NOT want to take a second gap year so if I don't get into medical school then I am going to do biochemistry.

However, I have a dilemma because I've written a medicine personal statement and therefore the 2 universities that I am applying to (Imperial College London and probably UCL) will see my medicine personal statement. I also applied to Imperial College London and UCL for biochemistry last year as well (but it was a MSc not a Bsc); UCL accepted me but Imperial rejected me.

Would having a medicine personal statement put me at a disadvantage (especially with Imperial College London)? I still have my old biochemistry personal statement which probably needs redoing as imperial college didn't accept me last year with it. I will probably email my alternative PS to Imperial and UCL once my application has been sent off.

Thoughts/suggestions please?
You need to ask the universities concerned whether they will accept a med PS for biochemistry, whether they consider resit reapplications and whether they will accept a second PS.

I would recommend that you only apply to your medical choices by the early deadline and add your other choices later after you have reassurance in writing that you have a chance of an offer
jimmy432
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arctic Kitten)
Regarding ucl, their offer is A*AA for med so you will need another A Level. However they stated that:

Candidates may re-sit GCSE subjects in order to meet the GCSE requirements. Graduates who re-sat A levels before their degree will also be considered. Otherwise, we do not accept qualification re-sits, including re-starting Year 12.

So you won’t be able to make it anyway.
As for imperial:

Minimum entry standards
Our minimum entry standard for 2019 entry is AAA overall, to include:

A in Biology
A in Chemistry
A in a third subject
The minimum entry requirements must be met in one examination sitting.

General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted.

Typical offer range
As a guide, here are the typical offers made in 2017 to at least 85% of applicants studying A-levels:

Three A-level offer: A*AA (including an A* in either Biology or Chemistry).

So they don’t like resits (one sitting) and the typical offer is A*AA (mind you, the minimum offer is only for a few that are exceptional), same situation as above.
This is what is on their website, if your tutors, teachers or family and friends had done similar/know similar case then listen to them. But according to the website you are unlikely to get in.
I'm predicted A* for biology which I am retaking. But yeah I might just apply to QMUL for biochem (ABB req) on 4th choice for UCAS and 5th choice I'll see...
jimmy432
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You need to ask the universities concerned whether they will accept a med PS for biochemistry, whether they consider resit reapplications and whether they will accept a second PS.

I would recommend that you only apply to your medical choices by the early deadline and add your other choices later after you have reassurance in writing that you have a chance of an offer
My school who are overseeing my application (ie doing references etc) wants it in by end of today with the other choices (the ones that arent medicine). So I can't do what you have suggested?
Arctic Kitten
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
My school who are overseeing my application (ie doing references etc) wants it in by end of today with the other choices (the ones that arent medicine). So I can't do what you have suggested?
Are you sure the uni you apply for med allow retakes? As I just pointed out Imperial and UCL does not accept resits. What uni did you choose?
jimmy432
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arctic Kitten)
Are you sure the uni you apply for med allow retakes? As I just pointed out Imperial and UCL does not accept resits. What uni did you choose?
When I'm talking about Ucl and Imperial I mean to apply there for biochem not medicine. I will be choosing 3 Universities for medicine and 2 for biochem
Arctic Kitten
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
When I'm talking about Ucl and Imperial I mean to apply there for biochem not medicine. I will be choosing 3 Universities for medicine and 2 for biochem
That’s ok then I’m just a bit confused
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Tell them that you need to do more research about your final choices and can't give them the non med choices yet.

You can send it to them without those choices and explain things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (91)
16.52%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.16%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (98)
17.79%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (168)
30.49%

Watched Threads