I got an A*BC for my A-Levels but got into a good university. What next? Watch

Rubel Ahmed
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got a A*BC for my A-Levels, studying History, Economics and English Literature (I was predicted AAB) I got into the University of Warwick, studying History (minority quota probably). What happens now? How would I get a TC from a good corporate law firm (American Law Firm, Magic Circle, Silver Circle etc). Should I resit my English Literature exam?

I'm very confused.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rubel Ahmed)
I got a A*BC for my A-Levels, studying History, Economics and English Literature (I was predicted AAB) I got into the University of Warwick, studying History (minority quota probably). What happens now? How would I get a TC from a good corporate law firm (American Law Firm, Magic Circle, Silver Circle etc). Should I resit my English Literature exam?

I'm very confused.
Be careful when applying to firms that ask for AAB or 340 UCAS points. You're on the equivalent of ABB or 320, even though the difference is small enough for you to be able to apply if you have extenuating circumstances. I don't know what firms take into account when deciding to be lenient - J-SP's the person you need.

I don't think that resitting helps - you'll have to disclose the resit in your application, and it'll take time away from your History degree and extracurriculars (I have friends who had to resit as private candidates, and it turned out being a very tough process, given the need to stay up to date with the whole syllabus and sit the resit exams just after you've finished your university exams).

You'll get a TC by doing what everyone else is doing in your position. Apply to Open Days, get work experience, do an extracurricular that gives you good, relevant competencies, etc.
Juxtaposition12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Be careful when applying to firms that ask for AAB or 340 UCAS points. You're on the equivalent of ABB or 320, even though the difference is small enough for you to be able to apply if you have extenuating circumstances. I don't know what firms take into account when deciding to be lenient - J-SP's the person you need.

I don't think that resitting helps - you'll have to disclose the resit in your application, and it'll take time away from your History degree and extracurriculars (I have friends who had to resit as private candidates, and it turned out being a very tough process, given the need to stay up to date with the whole syllabus and sit the resit exams just after you've finished your university exams).

You'll get a TC by doing what everyone else is doing in your position. Apply to Open Days, get work experience, do an extracurricular that gives you good, relevant competencies, etc.
Do firms discriminate against people with resits? I went from BBB to A*A*AA
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Juxtaposition12)
Do firms discriminate against people with resits? I went from BBB to A*A*AA
Well you'll have to disclose your resit (and I'm guessing your previous grades), but the trend is that A-levels matter increasingly less as time goes on, and as firms try to do the whole social diversity/inclusivity thing. Even if you're penalised, it won't be the end of the world.
Juxtaposition12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Well you'll have to disclose your resit (and I'm guessing your previous grades), but the trend is that A-levels matter increasingly less as time goes on, and as firms try to do the whole social diversity/inclusivity thing. Even if you're penalised, it won't be the end of the world.
Thank you! Hopefully I shouldn’t be too much at a disadvantage as I picked up an extra a level so without resits it’s A*BBB.
TempestLaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It may affect you getting a TC right away but the vast majority do not get a TC straight after their studies. I have known people with horrific A-levels (but excellent university grades) get a TC because they worked as a paralegal. Some were offered a TC within a year of them working, a TC can be offered to candidates like a job without an advertisment, it doesn't have as many procedural restrictions as a pupillage
Lwajura
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rubel Ahmed)

I'm very confused.
you are awesome ignore the hatters they are just dumb
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (60)
23.62%
No (194)
76.38%

Watched Threads