The Student Room Group

Should I resit my A levels to get a high paid finance job?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hanley9
Whether it's Birmingham or Southampton or somewhere else makes no material difference.

True tbh. I was just curious to be able to make an estimation based on linkedin searches concerning how well the school places.

What do you suggest OP does?
Original post by srt565
I got BBC at A level and am currently on course to start at a good RG uni, I want to work in finance/accounting so was wondering whether it is worth me resitting my A levels? How much of a hindrance would they be on me getting a high paid job in the financial sector?

If all you want is just a chill, decently paid job in *something* *something* finance/accounting, then just continue what you're doing.

Get to uni, get somewhat involved with societies/ECs and find some form of work experience so that when it comes time to apply to standard commercial finance or accounting grad schemes/internships your CV isn't empty. Enough decent places will consider you as is.

If you want to get involved in *true* finance.. The fact of the matter is you're starting at negative 3rd base right now. Ideally, you would have already done things to offset this reality whilst you were in secondary school/sixth form and this was just a blip but the chances are slim.

What do you do?

Make up for lost ground: reach out to people and develop useful professional relationships, grind to get relevant experience (or even better, interesting non-traditional experience like startups), consider transferring to a better represented university, build out a strong case of evidence for leadership skills/qualities through your CV, consider an unintended gap year to retake and the basics of doing well on your course/developing good social skills.

Truth is these types of jobs have offer rates of sub 5%, no one is going to find them easy to get without years of deliberate work
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
If all you want is just a chill, decently paid job in *something* *something* finance/accounting, then just continue what you're doing.

Get to uni, get somewhat involved with societies/ECs and find some form of work experience so that when it comes time to apply to standard commercial finance or accounting grad schemes/internships your CV isn't empty. Enough decent places will consider you as is.

If you want to get involved in *true* finance.. The fact of the matter is you're starting at negative 3rd base right now. Ideally, you would have already done things to offset this reality whilst you were in secondary school/sixth form and this was just a blip but the chances are slim.

What do you do?

Make up for lost ground: reach out to people and develop useful professional relationships, grind to get relevant experience (or even better, interesting non-traditional experience like startups), consider transferring to a better represented university, build out a strong case of evidence for leadership skills/qualities through your CV, consider an unintended gap year to retake and the basics of doing well on your course/developing good social skills.

Truth is these types of jobs have offer rates of sub 5%, no one is going to find them easy to get without years of deliberate work

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. I apologize if I come across ill-informed in this area as I am somewhat lacking knowledge of the industry. From what I've seen I would still be eligible for the big 4 if I was to achieve a first or 2:1, I'm under the impression that completing 3 years there could lead to a well paid job. Do you think I should cancel my university place to resit or attempt to transfer to a better represented university as you mentioned? Also, as somebody else suggested I could go to university and resit the C subject and maybe another to have AAB or ABB. I suppose my main question is whether me not resitting all three subject would make much of a difference. Do I have no chance of getting in to IB/consultancy. Lastly, would completing a masters at a target university make much of a difference?
Original post by srt565
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. I apologize if I come across ill-informed in this area as I am somewhat lacking knowledge of the industry. From what I've seen I would still be eligible for the big 4 if I was to achieve a first or 2:1, I'm under the impression that completing 3 years there could lead to a well paid job. Do you think I should cancel my university place to resit or attempt to transfer to a better represented university as you mentioned? Also, as somebody else suggested I could go to university and resit the C subject and maybe another to have AAB or ABB. I suppose my main question is whether me not resitting all three subject would make much of a difference. Do I have no chance of getting in to IB/consultancy. Lastly, would completing a masters at a target university make much of a difference?

???
Reply 24
It's better for you to just move on to uni, get better grades and get as many work experience as you can as well as developing certain skills.

Quite a lot of good firms do not look at A-level grades and have implemented a strength based approach.

Original post by Ak4753
HSBC won't let you apply with bbc. it's below (albeit just below) their requirement. They have some of the nicest requirements going. Food for thought

I'd say if you are not 100% sure you will murk them, just retake the C at least.

You can in fact apply for some internship and graduate roles for HSBC such as internal audit and risk below the requirement they specify in their website. They tend to advertise it on linkedin and indeed during January.

I've met applicants with worse grades than OP during my assessment centre at HSBC during April. It's definitely possible, but would require the OP to learn more about the sector as well as secure as many works experience as possible.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by srt565

As I said, decent grad schenes in commercial finance (aka finance departments) and accounting are not going to be to tough to get.

I've laid out the reality of what is required.. Whether you're willing to out in the effort is on you - asking about chances and hypotheticals is all BS you either put in the work or you don't. I know people with CCC that wrnt to London SouthBank and Manchester Met who have put in the work to get into *real* finance (aka high finance) jobs - pretty sure they weren't asking about chances and hypotheticals. A masters is a last resort reset button if your initial plan doesn't pan out and there's always the route of starting in a big4 in audit, getting the ACA, hustling into the deals/corpfin(which is actually mid market IB)/transaction services side of the firm then moving on to a high finance gig.

The options are clear man, whatever you choose to do is on you. I'm not the one living your life - I've already been in this exact situation and taken the decisions to get out of it. I'm sure you can too.
Reply 26
Original post by srt565

I'm not an expert by any means, and I am not an employer, but if I asked for grades and had a student with AAB vs one with BBC for the same position, I would most likely pick the one with AAB (possibly even if it took 3 years to achieve, though it could be looked down on without mitigating factors) assuming they were similar on non-academic factors (drive, interest etc.). The one with those scores is more likely to have gotten into/potentially completed a more rigorous uni program and if you believe that means anything, you'd assume they'd be more trainable for a rigorous job in IB. There are outliers, but with jobs as selective as IB where oxford students with a stack of As and A*s get the boot, I just don't see it working unless you

A) retake
B) transfer

But like i said, not an employer/expert.

Plus being "eligible for ib" shouldn't be the aim. with 3 As you're eligible for quite a few oxford places. Given the competition, however, these grades won't majorly impress admissions who are used to seeing a*aa -a*a*a*. This is why I wouldn't waste my time retaking if you're not sure ull slay it. If you're not sure, id go the Princepieman route
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending