The Student Room Group

Is it silly to pick a college based on the tutors?

I am torn between applying to two different colleges for different reasons. I was wondering if any of you have experience in how much the tutors affect your Oxford experience (especially within the admissions process). At one college, the tutors’ interests seem a lot more aligned with mine, and these are likely to be the people who would interview me. Is this completely irrelevant or will this play a role within the process? Thank you! I would love to hear your views and experiences on this.
It won't play much of a role, from my experience. You tend to get asked a range of questions.

However, if you find that you like a certain set of tutors more, then I can't say I think it is ridiculous to pick that college because of them. They will be teaching you for the next 3-4 years.

That said, I would make that a tertiary concern. You want to pick a college that you will be comfortable at. Decide whether you want a large college, or a small college. Decide what sort of architecture you want. Decide how you sit on social issues (don't do a me, and pick Wadham when you like edgy humour and jokes.)

All in all I am sure you will love whatever college you end up at.
Original post by notablestrumpet
I am torn between applying to two different colleges for different reasons. I was wondering if any of you have experience in how much the tutors affect your Oxford experience (especially within the admissions process). At one college, the tutors’ interests seem a lot more aligned with mine, and these are likely to be the people who would interview me. Is this completely irrelevant or will this play a role within the process? Thank you! I would love to hear your views and experiences on this.

What subject is this?

If the reasoning is "The tutors' areas of study are what I think I'll be more interested in" then I'd say yes, along with other factors to consider like location, accommodation ect. If the reasoning is that "These tutors would be more likely to let me in" then no, don't worry about it.
Original post by AHappyStudent
What subject is this?

If the reasoning is "The tutors' areas of study are what I think I'll be more interested in" then I'd say yes, along with other factors to consider like location, accommodation ect. If the reasoning is that "These tutors would be more likely to let me in" then no, don't worry about it.

It’s for Human Sciences, which is so broad that all of the tutors have such different fields of expertise.
It’s for Human Sciences, which is so broad that all of the tutors have such different fields of expertise.

Well, again if there are tutors in a specific area that you're more interested in then that's a good reason to prefer a college.

Still, as vicvic and I have said, consider other factors beforehand and use the tutors' areas of study to choose if you've shortlisted some and really can't choose between them.

what colleges are you considering? :smile: (not sure if you've shortlisted some or not)
Reply 5
I think AHappyStudent is right: That the tutors have similar interests to you might mean you will enjoy their teaching more, and so is a minor reason to pick that college. It does not mean that your interview will be any easier, or that they will be more likely to admit you.

We ask each cohort of Freshers what led them to apply and a significant proportion do indeed say the tutors. Their web profiles also get a lot of hits.

We think the reasons for this are the ones you give: applicants will potentially be interviewed and taught by these academics. Visitors to Open Days similarly are keen to go to drop ins or talks run by tutors.

It is possible that you may be reallocated to another college but choosing to make a direct application to a college is one of the elements of the admissions process candidates have control over, which is probably why the great majority of applicants do opt to nominate a college.
Thank you all for replying :smile: I’m still torn between Mansfield and Harris Manchester for different reasons but honestly I think I would be happy anywhere.
Just one thing to add: be sure to not conflate an arbitrary list of colleg fellows with who actually does the teaching, as they can be quite different. Ideally ask actual students at an open day who does their tutorials and what their interests are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending