Doing a different text in your exam from my school - thoughts?

Watch
saintamoah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

My school have studied An Inspector Calls for Eng Lit Paper 2 but I prefer DNA as a text (which I've studied in Drama) and would rather do that for the paper?

Thoughts?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by saintamoah)
Hi,

My school have studied An Inspector Calls for Eng Lit Paper 2 but I prefer DNA as a text (which I've studied in Drama) and would rather do that for the paper?

Thoughts?
Although you are interested in another text, the bulk of your lessons and resources will be devoted to An Inspector Calls. You will receive more guidance on this, and if you have any questions about this, your teacher and peers can help you. By studying another text (which I am not even sure that your school will allow), you will ultimately be on your own. Is there really a big issue with you studying An Inspector Calls?
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well.

We firstly have to see if DNA is on the exam specification. If it isn't then obviously you don't have a choice.

As Cheesecake said, you will have far, far more guidance for An Inspector Calls, in terms of themes, effects and good question answering. You will be strongly advised to do AIC.

That said, you could just do the other question. At A level I studied The Handmaid's Tale, and A Clockwork Orange, but my teacher said that if I would find talking about 1984 better (I have an excellent contextual understanding of Orwell's work) I could do the 1984 comparison question. In Theory, there is nothing stopping you from just doing the other question. If you were to study it through properly, get all the themes, and maybe a York Notes or something for the play.

I wouldn't recommend it. But in theory, yes.
saintamoah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by vicvic38)
Well.

We firstly have to see if DNA is on the exam specification. If it isn't then obviously you don't have a choice.

As Cheesecake said, you will have far, far more guidance for An Inspector Calls, in terms of themes, effects and good question answering. You will be strongly advised to do AIC.

That said, you could just do the other question. At A level I studied The Handmaid's Tale, and A Clockwork Orange, but my teacher said that if I would find talking about 1984 better (I have an excellent contextual understanding of Orwell's work) I could do the 1984 comparison question. In Theory, there is nothing stopping you from just doing the other question. If you were to study it through properly, get all the themes, and maybe a York Notes or something for the play.

I wouldn't recommend it. But in theory, yes.
Yes, it's on the spec and I have a pretty good grasp of the book and the characters and themes from studying it in Drama.
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by saintamoah)
Yes, it's on the spec and I have a pretty good grasp of the book and the characters and themes from studying it in Drama.
Hmm. Would you say your grasp of that is better than your grasp of AIC?

Will your grasp of DNA be better than your grasp of AIC in the exam?

I would guess that the way DNA was covered in drama is different to how it would be covered in Literature.

If you are going to do this, I would study it in a literary context alongside your course, and once you have a considerable body of work (essays, theme mindmaps, etc) show your teacher and ask them.
saffarinda
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’d honestly recommend not doing it. During revision the school will be entirely dedicated to providing you with resources for AIC and everyone will be revising AIC together. Doing DNA complicates things for you, especially with having to find your own analysis and revision materials.

I know some people who decided to do a different unit in GCSE History because they thought they’d enjoy it more (smart guys, they do A-Level History with me now) but they ended up doing pretty poorly on that unit in comparison to the rest of it simply due to the lack of aid provided.

Plus, AIC is a nice, easy text to analyse, remember, and write about. I’d honestly advise sticking with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (98)
5.07%
Uncertainty around my education (290)
15.01%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (205)
10.61%
Lack of purpose or motivation (270)
13.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (85)
4.4%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (111)
5.75%
Loneliness (166)
8.59%
Financial worries (69)
3.57%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.45%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.76%
Lack of real life entertainment (106)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (170)
8.8%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (184)
9.52%

Watched Threads