Does GCSE English grade matter at which university you're applying? Watch

Leuna
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi guys,
So I've received my IGCSE results & I got all A* & As except in English I got a 5 ( equivalent to a B/ or lower B according to old spec). I'm planning to study medicine or aeronautical engineering.
I'm worried it might ruin my chances of getting into the university of my choice. Question is does a bad English grade reduce your chances? Is there anything that I should look out for?
P.S im not going to re-sit for it.
Scarlettlrmo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
No it shouldn’t, I did the same, my only b’s at gcse we’re in English and further maths. Most unis just specify you need a pass or a B in some cases 🙂
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Leuna)
Hi guys,
So I've received my IGCSE results & I got all A* & As except in English I got a 5 ( equivalent to a B/ or lower B according to old spec). I'm planning to study medicine or aeronautical engineering.
I'm worried it might ruin my chances of getting into the university of my choice. Question is does a bad English grade reduce your chances? Is there anything that I should look out for?
P.S im not going to re-sit for it.
Many unis regard a 5 as equivalent to a C, which could cause you problems. Looking at Medicine, for example, your choice would be limited:
https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...-for-medicine/
Leuna
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Many unis regard a 5 as equivalent to a C, which could cause you problems. Looking at Medicine, for example, your choice would be limited:
https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...-for-medicine/
I already missed the deadline for rechecking 😪 I know I should've send it in but I had lil guidance on deciding whether its worth it!
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Leuna)
I already missed the deadline for rechecking 😪 I know I should've send it in but I had lil guidance on deciding whether its worth it!
What deadline?
mattlcfc
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
A grade 5 is a low B
Leuna
Rep:
?
for recheck/ re-evaluation
What deadline?
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Leuna)
for recheck/ re-evaluation
That's only an artificial, internal school deadline. Are you applying for Medicine? If so, have you chosen any unis which want higher than a 5 in English Language?
Leuna
Rep:
?
That's only an artificial, internal school deadline. Are you applying for Medicine? If so, have you chosen any unis which want higher than a 5 in English Language?
Yup some places requires a 6. Most med schools would prefer good grades so it'd be awfully sad to be rejected just because of an English grade
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Leuna)
Yup some places requires a 6. Most med schools would prefer good grades so it'd be awfully sad to be rejected just because of an English grade
Are you saying that you applied to Med Schools which wanted a 6?

What's sad is that you haven't gone for a resit.
Leuna
Rep:
?
Are you saying that you applied to Med Schools which wanted a 6?

What's sad is that you haven't gone for a resit.
I haven't yet. I shall do so next year. See that's the thing competitive courses doesn't accept re-sits so I figured it was pointless.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Leuna)
I haven't yet. I shall do so next year. See that's the thing competitive courses doesn't accept re-sits so I figured it was pointless.
Where did you get that from?
Leuna
Rep:
?
Where did you get that from?
university.which.co.uk
lolololol1235e1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Same here , got 9's ,8's and 7's and got a 5 in lang , wanting to do med , just sent my paper for a recheck and will resit if nothing changes.
gerib17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You need to pass but if you’re course at university requires a specific grade, that would usually be the case if the course is heavily essay based. They may ask for a 7 in Language or something.
Ravenreyes
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Exactly the same issue, I recieved 10A*s (8s&9s) however I got a 5 in English language. I really do not want to resit, will it affect uni even if we get good A-levels?
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Leuna)
university.which.co.uk
The only thing I found there was that some competitive courses might not accept resits and advice to check before applying.
Leuna
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ravenreyes)
Exactly the same issue, I recieved 10A*s (8s&9s) however I got a 5 in English language. I really do not want to resit, will it affect uni even if we get good A-levels?
You & i both should've send in the papers for re-check
Leuna
Rep:
?
The only thing I found there was that some competitive courses might not accept resits and advice to check before applying.
Exactly. Q is are they going to reject us even if we get good A-level grades?
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Leuna)
Exactly. Q is are they going to reject us even if we get good A-level grades?
Yes you might well get rejected. You need to check with individual unis before applying, but I wouldn't be overly optimistic with courses such as medicine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?