Male domestic abuse: Not enough support for victims, says charity

Watch
MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Male domestic abuse victims are suffering a lack of support despite a sharp rise in attacks, a charity said.

Police in England and Wales recorded 149,248 incidents in 2017 - more than double the number reported in 2012.

One charity, the ManKind Initiative, said while a third of domestic abuse victims were men, only 0.8% of refuge beds were reserved for them. The Home Office urged "all victims to come forward and report this horrific crime" and said support was available.

The charity, which helps men escaping abuse, told the BBC while there more than 3,600 beds in safe houses for women, there were currently only 20 earmarked solely for men in England, including none in London.

While one in six men will experience domestic abuse at some point in their lives, only one in 20 will ever seek any help, the ManKind Initiative said.

Spokesman Mark Brooks told BBC 5 live Afternoon Edition while more victims were beginning to come forward, a "failure to ensure a basic level of support across the country will fail those men and, of course, fail their children where they are involved."

The charity said some men were having to travel more than 150 miles to get help and has called for dedicated support across the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45490173

What do you guys think about this story? Why is it, in your opinion, that male victims of domestic abuse seem to be ignored, or at the point of entry just not seek help at all for their abuse?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, I volunteered with a charity which helps both sexes.

We had a protocol for female DV victims, in that we were bound to ask unaccompanied females if they were being abused and had a reporting system with local NGOs/councils if they told us they were. We had no equivalent for males.
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think this partly stems from a societies POV on domestic abuse. There's this whole idea (which I still hear on a regular basis) that men can take it as they are stronger, more mentally sound and if they're not any of these things that they should "man up". This attitude I feel then feeds into support systems that should support domestic abuse victims.
Economics_Master
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The blame lies exlusisly at the feet of feminists.
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I knew there was a large difference between male and female safe spaces but feck me that is ridiculous.
3,600 compared to 20. Especially when you consider that in 40% of domestic abuse the male is the Victim.
That's 20 places and unlike women's refuges in mens cases, to the best of my knowledge, none at all where they can take their children to safety with them.

Just as with females in abusive relationships, the inability for men to take their children to safety with them is one of the major reasons that they stay and take the abuse.

One interesting point being I watched the programprogram on this problem last night and the person running the shelter for men was a woman. There is no way in a million years they will have a man working as the head of a shelter for women.
Johnny English
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If ever our Ilda went feral and turned nasty after a night at t'bingo ....then I'd give a damned good thrashing with a very large Pyracantha branch .I'd then give her a good boot up the arse and tell her to naff off rind her mother's.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Just my opinion)
I knew there was a large difference between male and female safe spaces but feck me that is ridiculous.
3,600 compared to 20. Especially when you consider that in 40% of domestic abuse the male is the Victim.
That's 20 places and unlike women's refuges in mens cases, to the best of my knowledge, none at all where they can take their children to safety with them.

Just as with females in abusive relationships, the inability for men to take their children to safety with them is one of the major reasons that they stay and take the abuse.

One interesting point being I watched the programprogram on this problem last night and the person running the shelter for men was a woman. There is no way in a million years they will have a man working as the head of a shelter for women.
That would be because women worked hard to set up shelters and realize there is a need for men to have them, too.

Men on the other hand generally only talk about this to shut down women. They like to talk about it but not actually do something (like gather funding and set up a male shelter).
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Just my opinion)

The problem with the oft quoted 40% or 1/3 of victims are male statistics is it is a bit of a broad brush. It conceals the the fact that the vast majority of serious domestic violence is perpetrated against women, as is seen in the domestic violence murder statistics. So a disparity in the level of services is justified, although the current level of disparity is not justified.

Domestic violence charities are largely dependent on local authority grants. Local government cuts and a need to maintain key services meant local authorities cut these grants to the extent charities cut their services or disappeared altogether. We need more funding for domestic violence services, irrespective of gender. Sadly we have a Conservative government that is only making a tokenistic effort to fund such services.
Naomi Jackson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This wasn't a problem back when men were real men
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When they say 3,600 are reserved for women, and only 20 are reserved for men, is that all the beds available? Or are there more in shelters who take in anyone?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Naomi Jackson)
This wasn't a problem back when men were real men
As in all men have had their *******s cut off? I don't recall having this procedure done.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
9.64%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (54)
65.06%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (12)
14.46%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (8)
9.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.2%

Watched Threads