The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

UWE Midwifery 2019/2020

Just wondering who else has applied for Midwifery at UWE for their 2019/2020 cohort? I already have a degree in Psychology, and an 8 month old baby so I can only really apply to UWE (which would have been my first choice anyway!).

How long until you usually hear back from submitting your application
hi there,
I am a third year student but my son was 9 months and little girl was 2 when I started!
There’s a few things to take into account when starting and I suggest you take it into account before you start. I’m sure you have but believe me this course is full on and if I could have deferred I would have. You cannot just skip a day when they are ill or leave early so you need to make sure you have 24/7 childcare available as well as being able to work shifts. Also be aware you will miss out on a lot of milestones including my little girls first day at school. I’m not saying this to put you off but just so you are aware and maybe defer until theyve done those milestones as it breaks your heart.
Have you completed a access or is your degree recent? Only reason I ask is I had a degree in psychology too but had no science gcse so had to retake that.
Do you have any health care experience? As this will really help although I didn’t and was still accepted :smile: you should hear back by Jan! But sometimes before that! Good luck! Xxx
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, ah lovely how are you getting on? We have a really strong childcare support system from my mum and sister, they watch my little boy whilst me and the boyfriend are both working full time. My boyfriend also works fairly normal hours (8-6) so will be back around 6.30pm most evenings. I am applying for the Jan 2020 cohort and he will be 2 by then. I know i'll miss a lot of important things, and this hasn't been a decision we've taken lightly. I've always wanted to do it, i don't know why i didn't... and i'm not here for the babies... i'm here for the women!

No i haven't done an access course. I graduated in 2015 and my degree was quite science heavy as it was a Bsc. I also have Psychology A Level and i have my 11 GCSE's A*-C including Science, Maths, and English. I don't have any health care experience but i think academically I am there. I am coming to the midwifery taster day on Thursday :smile:
Original post by DanMacDonald_
Thanks for the reply, ah lovely how are you getting on? We have a really strong childcare support system from my mum and sister, they watch my little boy whilst me and the boyfriend are both working full time. My boyfriend also works fairly normal hours (8-6) so will be back around 6.30pm most evenings. I am applying for the Jan 2020 cohort and he will be 2 by then. I know i'll miss a lot of important things, and this hasn't been a decision we've taken lightly. I've always wanted to do it, i don't know why i didn't... and i'm not here for the babies... i'm here for the women!

No i haven't done an access course. I graduated in 2015 and my degree was quite science heavy as it was a Bsc. I also have Psychology A Level and i have my 11 GCSE's A*-C including Science, Maths, and English. I don't have any health care experience but i think academically I am there. I am coming to the midwifery taster day on Thursday :smile:

Hi @DanMacDonald_,

It's great news to hear that you are coming to UWE Bristol for a taster day, we can't wait to meet you!

If you have any questions in the meantime (or afterwards!) please don't hesitate to ask. :smile:

Thanks,
Lois

Hello,

I will be applying for Midwifery at UWE but the September start :smile:
I was gutted I couldn’t make the taster day yesterday, how was it? I have seen that they will be doing one in December so I am going to attend that one hopefully :smile:
I admire mum’s who juggle studying and a baby so good for you, shows how dedicated you are! Are you applying anywhere else or just uwe? :smile:
Reply 5
The taster day was great, the girls were so inspiring so i'm really excited now! No i am only applying for UWE. Have you sent your application in yet?
The taster day was great, the girls were so inspiring so i'm really excited now! No i am only applying for UWE. Have you sent your application in yet?

No I haven’t yet as I’m still working on my personal statement with my tutor and she needs to do my reference as well.
I’m not sure if the September and January intakes hear back at the same time but I think it can vary. I’m going to attend the next open day as went to the one in this year but think it’s a good idea to refresh and I will ask then :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by MelissaS92
No I haven’t yet as I’m still working on my personal statement with my tutor and she needs to do my reference as well.
I’m not sure if the September and January intakes hear back at the same time but I think it can vary. I’m going to attend the next open day as went to the one in this year but think it’s a good idea to refresh and I will ask then :smile:

Yeah i had an email from admissions saying that they consider september and january cohorts at the same time so i should expect to hear back in the same time frame. Just so anxious as this is what i need to do i can't think about doing anything else... just need to get an interview and try my best to shine! I've done a degree before so i know it isn't for the faint hearted... are you fresh from A-Levels or doing an access course? :h:
Yeah i had an email from admissions saying that they consider september and january cohorts at the same time so i should expect to hear back in the same time frame. Just so anxious as this is what i need to do i can't think about doing anything else... just need to get an interview and try my best to shine! I've done a degree before so i know it isn't for the faint hearted... are you fresh from A-Levels or doing an access course? :h:

That’s good they emailed you back, do you know if they do the jan interviews at the same time and when they are? I think it’s in March as the closing date is January but not sure if they still do the December interviews as someone told me they have stopped them and just do March now but I’m going to ask my tutor.
I’m doing the access to midwifery and nursing course which I’m really enjoying. We have been having chats from universities about personal statements which has been really useful.
That’s good you already have a degree, I’m sure that will work in favour.
I know what you mean though, I have wanted to do this for years and have put it off, yet now I know the time is right and I know my partner and family will support me throughout :smile: I just pray I get in, I know how competitive it is and I feel so anxious too!

Hello did you attend the uwe open day yesteday?

I asked and they weren’t certain on dates and timeframe for interview but they normally do one round of interviews in dec for applications sent sept-Nov. Another round in January and another round in March. Although someone I spoke to at admissions said it varies every year, hope this helps, let me know how you get on :smile:
Reply 10
Hello did you attend the uwe open day yesteday?

I asked and they weren’t certain on dates and timeframe for interview but they normally do one round of interviews in dec for applications sent sept-Nov. Another round in January and another round in March. Although someone I spoke to at admissions said it varies every year, hope this helps, let me know how you get on :smile:

Yeah i did it was good i love the campus too. Did you go? Ive just had a welcome email from UWE so hoping ill hear back soon it's been a long wait haha how are you getting on?
Yeah i did it was good i love the campus too. Did you go? Ive just had a welcome email from UWE so hoping ill hear back soon it's been a long wait haha how are you getting on?

I am still working on my personal statement and currently on like my 90th draft but I guess practice makes perfect! I am also waiting to start my maternity volunteer placement, Although my friend who has completed midwifery at UWE a few years ago had no experience before hand and was still accepted so maybe I am over thinking it all 🙈
I loved Glenside campus and it definitely has great learning opportunities at UWE.
That’s great you’ve heard back, good luck to you! Keep me posted if you hear anything else :smile:
I am still working on my personal statement and currently on like my 90th draft but I guess practice makes perfect! I am also waiting to start my maternity volunteer placement, Although my friend who has completed midwifery at UWE a few years ago had no experience before hand and was still accepted so maybe I am over thinking it all 🙈
I loved Glenside campus and it definitely has great learning opportunities at UWE.
That’s great you’ve heard back, good luck to you! Keep me posted if you hear anything else :smile:

Hello I sent off my application on the date (early bird) and have heard back :smile: hope you get invited for an interview too! I applied last year but didn’t get in as I didn’t have any recent study but have just start my access course at Swindon college as it’s refreshing and gives me more in detail about biology! Good luck!
Original post by Lilybrown92
Hello I sent off my application on the date (early bird) and have heard back :smile: hope you get invited for an interview too! I applied last year but didn’t get in as I didn’t have any recent study but have just start my access course at Swindon college as it’s refreshing and gives me more in detail about biology! Good luck!

You have heard back already? Oh gosh, My application is being sent off tomorrow and i feel so anxious! Congratulation on getting an interview, Good luck :smile:
Original post by Melissa-S
You have heard back already? Oh gosh, My application is being sent off tomorrow and i feel so anxious! Congratulation on getting an interview, Good luck :smile:

Thank you Hun, I know the feeling it’s a horrible wait but good luck to you too!
Reply 15
Hey, I have a place for September 19 start! Currently on the uwe foundation year with midwifery.
Hi I’m looking for abit of advice so I’m currently looking into doing an access to Midwifery course starting in September later this year. I’m new to all of this so looking for advice from people who are going through the same thing 😊 I’ve have been doing my research and have a few questions if anyone can answer them please. The access to midwifery course is due to finish next year around May/ June but I’m unsure when I would need to apply for my placements at Uni. I’m going to go along to an open day at Bristol University but was looking for abit of information before going along.Thanks I’m advance for any help 😊
Original post by Tanyalouise92
Hi I’m looking for abit of advice so I’m currently looking into doing an access to Midwifery course starting in September later this year. I’m new to all of this so looking for advice from people who are going through the same thing 😊 I’ve have been doing my research and have a few questions if anyone can answer them please. The access to midwifery course is due to finish next year around May/ June but I’m unsure when I would need to apply for my placements at Uni. I’m going to go along to an open day at Bristol University but was looking for abit of information before going along.Thanks I’m advance for any help 😊

You apply when your at college, ucas is open between sept-jan. your college and tutor will help you with personal statement! Where are you doing the access? X
What a levels did you get and what offer did you receive?
I did an access course! Need 15 at d and 15 at m :smile: all information is on their website
Original post by Anonymous
What a levels did you get and what offer did you receive?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending