Worcester College OXFORD: What is the accommodation like? Plus other colleges... Watch

PunjabiCookie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey

If you went here or are currently here, how has your experience been and what would you like to say? Also, how is general life at the college?
Last edited by PunjabiCookie; 4 months ago
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello

Woosta alumna (2007-2010) checking in here :yep:

I can't remember which grade is the worst grade and whether having viewed grade 1/grade 6 accommodation, you would have viewed the best and/or worst accommodation or not! (Helpful of me, I know )

Generally speaking, the standard of accommodation at Worcester is very high: 72% en suite with access to good kitchen facilities when I left (not sure if they've built more accommodation since then!). Even some of the non-en suite rooms (e.g. Sainsbury Building) are very nice (Sainsbury Building has lovely views across the lake :love: ). Accommodation to be avoided if at all possible includes Staircase 15 (some of those rooms don't have a sink in the room!), the Mitchell Building, and Worcester House.

Two things that are worth noting though:

1. It's possible (or at least, it used to be) to specify what kind of room you'd like/need, between getting an offer and receiving your exam results. I was sent a letter during that time, asking if I had any accommodation needs or preferences (e.g. a room overlooking the main quadrangle, etc.). I said that I needed kitchen access

2. If you end up in the worse-off accommodation (which is fairly cheap, from what I remember!) in first year, the way the room ballot works (or at least used to) at Woosta means that you would get the best accommodation the following year(s) :awesome:

Do you remember the building names of the accommodation you saw? FWIW, I lived in Mitchell Building in first year, Staircase 17 in second year, and 5 Beaumont Street in third year :party:

General life at the college is great! It's a thriving community: big enough that you can be anonymous within college and not know everyone if you don't want to, but small enough that you can know the name and face of everyone in your year if you want to. We're quite a sociable, sporty and extra-curricular-heavy college, as a general reputation. The bar is not as nice as other college bars, and neither is the JCR space (though I gather it's been refurbished since I left - may have improved!) :no: But the grounds are pretty much unrivalled imho :love:

For more recent info, tagging in MexicanKeith and colourtheory
PunjabiCookie
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Hello

Woosta alumna (2007-2010) checking in here :yep:

I can't remember which grade is the worst grade and whether having viewed grade 1/grade 6 accommodation, you would have viewed the best and/or worst accommodation or not! (Helpful of me, I know )

Generally speaking, the standard of accommodation at Worcester is very high: 72% en suite with access to good kitchen facilities when I left (not sure if they've built more accommodation since then!). Even some of the non-en suite rooms (e.g. Sainsbury Building) are very nice (Sainsbury Building has lovely views across the lake :love: ). Accommodation to be avoided if at all possible includes Staircase 15 (some of those rooms don't have a sink in the room!), the Mitchell Building, and Worcester House.

Two things that are worth noting though:

1. It's possible (or at least, it used to be) to specify what kind of room you'd like/need, between getting an offer and receiving your exam results. I was sent a letter during that time, asking if I had any accommodation needs or preferences (e.g. a room overlooking the main quadrangle, etc.). I said that I needed kitchen access

2. If you end up in the worse-off accommodation (which is fairly cheap, from what I remember!) in first year, the way the room ballot works (or at least used to) at Woosta means that you would get the best accommodation the following year(s) :awesome:

Do you remember the building names of the accommodation you saw? FWIW, I lived in Mitchell Building in first year, Staircase 17 in second year, and 5 Beaumont Street in third year :party:

General life at the college is great! It's a thriving community: big enough that you can be anonymous within college and not know everyone if you don't want to, but small enough that you can know the name and face of everyone in your year if you want to. We're quite a sociable, sporty and extra-curricular-heavy college, as a general reputation. The bar is not as nice as other college bars, and neither is the JCR space (though I gather it's been refurbished since I left - may have improved!) :no: But the grounds are pretty much unrivalled imho :love:

For more recent info, tagging in MexicanKeith and colourtheory
Thanks so much for the response! Grade 1 accommodation is the umm... least best. I viewed the main terrace (1-6) and it's not great to be honest. The grade 6 was Worcester House which seemed pretty amazing and it was also surrounded by the Sainsbury accommodation and also the amazing new buildings from 2007 (the newest ones). Why is Worcester House somewhere to avoid? Thanks.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PunjabiCookie)
Thanks so much for the response! Grade 1 accommodation is the umm... least best. I viewed the main terrace (1-6) and it's not great to be honest. The grade 6 was Worcester House which seemed pretty amazing and it was also surrounded by the Sainsbury accommodation and also the amazing new buildings from 2007 (the newest ones). Why is Worcester House somewhere to avoid? Thanks.
Oh maybe I got the name wrong... the 'Worcester House' I'm thinking of is right next to the Mitchell Building, so def not the one you've mentioned. They've possibly renamed things haha Or maybe you meant Gloucester House (the redbrick building near the Sainsbury accommondation)? :holmes:

Def avoid Grade 1 if you can. Though as mentioned, Grade 1 accommodation in first year will almost guarantee you the best accommodation in subsequent years. I'm not sure if the Mitchell Building (where I lived in first year) was Grade 1 or Grade 2 but put it this way: the Provost (head of college) himself apologised to me in person for the fact I was living there, when he heard the news
PunjabiCookie
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Oh maybe I got the name wrong... the 'Worcester House' I'm thinking of is right next to the Mitchell Building, so def not the one you've mentioned. They've possibly renamed things haha Or maybe you meant Gloucester House (the redbrick building near the Sainsbury accommondation)? :holmes:

Def avoid Grade 1 if you can. Though as mentioned, Grade 1 accommodation in first year will almost guarantee you the best accommodation in subsequent years. I'm not sure if the Mitchell Building (where I lived in first year) was Grade 1 or Grade 2 but put it this way: the Provost (head of college) himself apologised to me in person for the fact I was living there, when he heard the news

I've just checked... I meant Worcester Place (which is grade 6). I think you meant Worcester Street which is grade 2 and 3. Mitchell building (might surprise you) is grade 3! Maybe they've changed since. Anyway, thanks.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PunjabiCookie)
I've just checked... I meant Worcester Place (which is grade 6). I think you meant Worcester Street which is grade 2 and 3. Mitchell building (might surprise you) is grade 3! Maybe they've changed since. Anyway, thanks.
I know they've renovated the Mitchell building since I left so that's probably how they managed to do that Thanks for the info - not sure I've ever seen inside Worcester Place :nah:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.3%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.44%

Watched Threads