The Student Room Group

Will taking Psychology at A Level hinder my chances at Oxbridge/Ivy Leagues?

Hey Guys,

So I got my GCSE results a couple of weeks back and achieved 10 A*s, 1 A and 1 B. I'm really happy with what I achieved, and I think that my aspirations of attending Oxbridge/an Ivy League university is just a bit closer.

Bearing in mind I want to pursue Economics at university, I've chosen: Math, Further Math, Economics, Psychology and an EPQ for my A level options.

From what I've heard, I think Psychology is frowned upon or looked at as a rather "soft" subject. I had originally taken Physics, but decided to drop it for Psychology as I found Psychology to be more interesting and that it had more real life applications to Economics/Finance than Physics did. (I did a course at Columbia Uni on IB, and we did a bit of Behavioural Finance). Also, the general consensus I got at my Ivy League tours is that they're looking for a bit more breadth in subjects, and I felt that almost everyone doing A levels in Econ is also taking Physics/Chemistry.

So I guess my question is, will taking Psychology hinder my applications to Cambridge/Ivy Leagues as opposed to taking Physics?
Since when is Psychology seen as a soft subject?

Who told you that? I mean it isn't a facilitating subject but it also isn't considered soft at all, it's quite difficult, all the Unis will care about is if you meet there criteria, you obviously had no intention of taking either physics or chemistry when choosing your subjects for A-Level so just stick with Psychology, you'll be fine

Quick Reply

Latest