Please, someone please help me understand mass s Watch

candicebetterman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
SO basically I was just wondering how the mass spectrometer can tell us the mass of the ion.
I get that when the ion reaches the detector you get a charge but how does the mass spectrometer tell you what elements gave you that charge.
If that makes sense?

Basically, how does it tell you the mas of the element and how much there is of it- as all the ions will give a current but how do you know which ones of the ions are heavier or lighter

Please help xx
Bidachanee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by candicebetterman)
SO basically I was just wondering how the mass spectrometer can tell us the mass of the ion.
I get that when the ion reaches the detector you get a charge but how does the mass spectrometer tell you what elements gave you that charge.
If that makes sense?

Basically, how does it tell you the mas of the element and how much there is of it- as all the ions will give a current but how do you know which ones of the ions are heavier or lighter

Please help xx
The heavier the ion the larger the current given out. The mass spectrometer can change this current into a mass number
candicebetterman
Rep:
?
Do we need to how for a level and thanks for the speedy response
maths_student6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by candicebetterman)
If that makes sense?

Please help xx
Try reading this:
https://www.chemguide.co.uk/analysis...owitworks.html. Basically, the mass spectrometer actually measures mass: charge ratio but the charge is almost always +1 so it can be assumed to be the same as the mass. The mass:charge ratio affects how much the ions are deflected in a magnetic field so the size of the magnetic field is varied in order to detect the different masses. At any given strength of magnetic field, the mass:charge ratio of the ions reaching the detector is constant and the size of the current allows "how much of these ions there are" to be measured. The magnetic field is varied and measurements for each mass:charge ratio are taken and then shown on a mass spectrum where the position of the peaks tells you the mass:charge ratio and the height represents the abundance.
bluemuffin
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
M/z ratio (mass to charge ratio) shows relatively how heavy an ion is compared to its charge. Ions with a higher m/z ratio will be deflected less because they are heavier. The computer can see how deflected each ion is and identify them based on this.

I hope this is correct 🙏🏻 just my general understanding of my last chemistry lesson
candicebetterman
Rep:
?
tHANKS SO MUCH GUYS YOUVE HELPED SO MUCH !!
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Bidachanee)
The heavier the ion the larger the current given out. The mass spectrometer can change this current into a mass number
This is not correct ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University