manusha.12345
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi can someone help me how to structure poem i mean like intro i know what to do but you know the paragraph where need to compare both poem like how to comparee when and where to write theme context and where similarities and differences
alainarenton
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by manusha.12345)
hi can someone help me how to structure poem i mean like intro i know what to do but you know the paragraph where need to compare both poem like how to comparee when and where to write theme context and where similarities and differences
I used PEACEPEACE

P point about your first poem
E evidence from poem 1 to support this point ^
A analysis of the quote
C/S context/structure of poem 1
E evaluation of writer's ability
P point about poem 2 (the link doesn't need to be very strong actually, which surprised me)
E evidence from poem 2 to support this point ^
A analysis of the quote
C/S context/structure of poem 2
E evaluation of the writer's ability

Example paragraph:

P - In 'Storm on the Island', Heaney uses an oxymoron to...
E - This is seen in the phrase: '...'
A - This phrase manages to... because... ; The word '...' in particular conveys a sense of...
C/S - Contextually, Heaney was writing at a time when...
E - I think Heaney is successful/unsuccessful in conveying...
P - Similarly/dissimilarly, in 'London', Blake uses...
REPEAT AS ABOVE

I got 2 full paragraphs (2 PEACEPEACEs) done in the exam, so I analysed context points in one, and structural comments in the other.

Hope that helps

EngLit: 9 / EngLan: 9
manusha.12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by alainarenton)
I used PEACEPEACE

P point about your first poem
E evidence from poem 1 to support this point ^
A analysis of the quote
C/S context/structure of poem 1
E evaluation of writer's ability
P point about poem 2 (the link doesn't need to be very strong actually, which surprised me)
E evidence from poem 2 to support this point ^
A analysis of the quote
C/S context/structure of poem 2
E evaluation of the writer's ability

Example paragraph:

P - In 'Storm on the Island', Heaney uses an oxymoron to...
E - This is seen in the phrase: '...'
A - This phrase manages to... because... ; The word '...' in particular conveys a sense of...
C/S - Contextually, Heaney was writing at a time when...
E - I think Heaney is successful/unsuccessful in conveying...
P - Similarly/dissimilarly, in 'London', Blake uses...
REPEAT AS ABOVE

I got 2 full paragraphs (2 PEACEPEACEs) done in the exam, so I analysed context points in one, and structural comments in the other.

Hope that helps

EngLit: 9 / EngLan: 9
really helpul thank youuu soo muchh but i struggling to revise 15 poem context structure quotes themes and moree😭😭😭i need help for that too
kb_123xx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ur lucky ur getting to revise ur poems from ur anthology my stupid teacher even think to give them to us in yr 10 after finishing the poetry unit so we could start revising. hes some idiot.
manusha.12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by kb_123xx)
ur lucky ur getting to revise ur poems from ur anthology my stupid teacher even think to give them to us in yr 10 after finishing the poetry unit so we could start revising. hes some idiot.
ohh sad atleast you might have finshed you gsce know please help me how to revise quoted like for now literally 5poems on war and quotes context etcc how comee😨
kb_123xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ohh sad atleast you might have finshed you gsce know please help me how to revise quoted like for now literally 5poems on war and quotes context etcc how comee😨
oh no I'm in yr 11 currently 😂 but on the end of unit test for poetry I got a 7. our is love a relationships but I think I can help u memorise it coz we still do 15 poems. so basically how I did it was firstly I didn't really like the analyzing in class becuase the points weren't that good so I went online and found for example "before u were mine" analysis (one of our poems) and i went on this website called genius.com and it analysed different points of the poem really well gave language structure so definitely check that out for better points. But also with knowing how to write it I went on google looked at module answered took bits of that out to think how I would structure my answer but also using PEE but expanding it more to make it more sophisticated like talking about what the writer wants us to feel and what we feel as audience reading it ecc. I also went YouTube theres this like literally great english teacher who goes over all questions in papers and just it so well u should check him out - Mr salles (there r others too but hes the best). ok but whrn I came to acc remembering them I'm gonna be honest i literally just read over my anthology notes and analyzed stuff like I just kept reading it and what u should do if just pic out at least 3-5 best points that u have analyzed what each poem and try link them together I'm some sort of way, for example look at past papers and see which ones have already come up. BUT MOST IMPORTATLY TO ME WAS JUST KEEP ON GOING OVER THE BEST POINTS KEEP ON READING THEM. I no thats probbaly not a fun way to remember it but for me it worked so hopefully it will for u. so good luck
manusha.12345
Rep:
?
oh no I'm in yr 11 currently 😂 but on the end of unit test for poetry I got a 7. our is love a relationships but I think I can help u memorise it coz we still do 15 poems. so basically how I did it was firstly I didn't really like the analyzing in class becuase the points weren't that good so I went online and found for example "before u were mine" analysis (one of our poems) and i went on this website called genius.com and it analysed different points of the poem really well gave language structure so definitely check that out for better points. But also with knowing how to write it I went on google looked at module answered took bits of that out to think how I would structure my answer but also using PEE but expanding it more to make it more sophisticated like talking about what the writer wants us to feel and what we feel as audience reading it ecc. I also went YouTube theres this like literally great english teacher who goes over all questions in papers and just it so well u should check him out - Mr salles (there r others too but hes the best). ok but whrn I came to acc remembering them I'm gonna be honest i literally just read over my anthology notes and analyzed stuff like I just kept reading it and what u should do if just pic out at least 3-5 best points that u have analyzed what each poem and try link them together I'm some sort of way, for example look at past papers and see which ones have already come up. BUT MOST IMPORTATLY TO ME WAS JUST KEEP ON GOING OVER THE BEST POINTS KEEP ON READING THEM. I no thats probbaly not a fun way to remember it but for me it worked so hopefully it will for u. so good luck
ohh so both of us are in year11 wishing you luck too and i think it will help me tooo thanks atleast giving clue i just need to revise reviseeee😅
one more think you know in each poem to comparee suppose for poem A how many quotes do we add in each parapagh and in total quotes in all paragraphss so it will help me to revise quotes in numberss
lastly you were luckyyy that got 7 hopee to god you gett 9’s and al👏🏻
kb_123xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ohh so both of us are in year11 wishing you luck too and i think it will help me tooo thanks atleast giving clue i just need to revise reviseeee😅
one more think you know in each poem to comparee suppose for poem A how many quotes do we add in each parapagh and in total quotes in all paragraphss so it will help me to revise quotes in numberss
lastly you were luckyyy that got 7 hopee to god you gett 9’s and al👏🏻
ok, so I think from each poem u should memorise at like 3-5 quotes in each poem if u can maybe like 1 or 2 from each paragraph but they if one I has to be literally a top quote. and in the exam I would recommend, writing 4 paragraphs the first one would be talking about what the writer is trying to portray by writing these paragraphs and how it makes us feel as an audience and what is the main similarity and difference in the two poems. ok but the next 3 paragraphs ( I mean u could do 2, but I think 3 will get u more marks, but if u only do 2 go into a lot of detail and depth) so basically in those 3 use the the quotes comparing them so compare them by saying how they r similar and saying how the writer has used either language or structure and what u think this quote is trying to say, literally u can have any interpretation on what u think the quote is saying, and then do the same for the other poem. idk if that makes sense but hopefully it has. and thx hopefully u get them grade 8s and 9s too 😂👍🏻
manusha.12345
Rep:
?
ok, so I think from each poem u should memorise at like 3-5 quotes in each poem if u can maybe like 1 or 2 from each paragraph but they if one I has to be literally a top quote. and in the exam I would recommend, writing 4 paragraphs the first one would be talking about what the writer is trying to portray by writing these paragraphs and how it makes us feel as an audience and what is the main similarity and difference in the two poems. ok but the next 3 paragraphs ( I mean u could do 2, but I think 3 will get u more marks, but if u only do 2 go into a lot of detail and depth) so basically in those 3 use the the quotes comparing them so compare them by saying how they r similar and saying how the writer has used either language or structure and what u think this quote is trying to say, literally u can have any interpretation on what u think the quote is saying, and then do the same for the other poem. idk if that makes sense but hopefully it has. and thx hopefully u get them grade 8s and 9s too 😂👍🏻
thanks for supporting mee and helping mee you are great gave me soo many tipss thankss alot
alainarenton
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
really helpul thank youuu soo muchh but i struggling to revise 15 poem context structure quotes themes and moree😭😭😭i need help for that too
Have you watched any of the Mr Bruff videos on YouTube? Without his videos, I doubt I'd even have passed English, nevermind got two 9s.

He's got videos on each poem (both the P&C and L&R collections) and does really in depth analysis to each one. He's also got a video where he came up with a rap for learning the key quotes from each poem (it's cheesy as hell but I still haven't forgotten it!).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (184)
38.33%
Take autumn exams (147)
30.63%
Look for a job (16)
3.33%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.38%
Take a year out (84)
17.5%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed