The Student Room Group

All I see are closed doors

I'm prohibited from everything I'm interested in doing. I like the Japanese language but I'm doing BTECs so I probably won't be accepted to do Japanese at uni, despite my predicted grades being D*D*D*. Still not good enough lol.
I think being a flight attendant (not permanently of course, just for a couple years) would be an amazing experience and I would enjoy it a lot. But my left arm is covered in paper white risen scars which are 5+ years old and won't fade no matter what.
I can't even get my first part time job while at college. I've applied to mcdonalds 3 ****ing times and I get rejected every time.
It feels so **** working my arse off at college (yes BTEC does require effort, there are 4 exams) when I literally have no future ahead of me. Nothing I want to do is possible for me considering my circumstances.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
call up prospective universities and explain the qualifications you expect to have before getting there (D*D*D*) and ask what else you can do to be considered for the course, I'm assuming your btecs are somewhat related to this course
Reply 2
Original post by MikeyA
call up prospective universities and explain the qualifications you expect to have before getting there (D*D*D*) and ask what else you can do to be considered for the course, I'm assuming your btecs are somewhat related to this course

There is no btec related to languages. So I am very doubtful that they will accept me. I'm doing applied science (which contains most of the A Level science topics, just graded differently, so I'm basically doing a level chem, physics and bio). Despite doing something so academic it's still not good enough. I have not heard of anything with a BTEC ever getting in.
If you can become fluent in Japanese then you'll have a chance at any job that requires you to speak it :smile:
Don't rack up £50k of uni debt, go out an get experience.

Start in the hospitality industry and work up to airlines...
downloadjhgjhgjh.jpe
Sorry for the wall of words.

It was formatted correctly but posted without it and I can’t edit my post!
Reply 7
Sorry I can't give you any advice about uni, but with regards to jobs, as @Coffee Queen suggested, try and personally go around to shops and hand out your CV. If you see any signs in shops or restaurants that say "now hiring" definitely hand your CV in there as you are much more likely to get a job that way - my friend did that and succeeded. Applying online, unfortunately, is often unsuccessful for a variety of reasons, but you can keep trying alongside dropping off CVs in person. And lastly McDonald's is notoriously difficult to get a job in despite all expectations, and also very demanding once there, so try other places and you may find you enjoy it there more than you would at McDonald's.
Reply 8
Original post by RobinKent
Don't rack up £50k of uni debt, go out an get experience.

Start in the hospitality industry and work up to airlines...

Original post by Nmys
Sorry I can't give you any advice about uni, but with regards to jobs, as @Coffee Queen suggested, try and personally go around to shops and hand out your CV. If you see any signs in shops or restaurants that say "now hiring" definitely hand your CV in there as you are much more likely to get a job that way - my friend did that and succeeded. Applying online, unfortunately, is often unsuccessful for a variety of reasons, but you can keep trying alongside dropping off CVs in person. And lastly McDonald's is notoriously difficult to get a job in despite all expectations, and also very demanding once there, so try other places and you may find you enjoy it there more than you would at McDonald's.

No place will hire me because of my scars.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
No place will hire me because of my scars.

Is it not possible to cover the scars during interview and work with long sleeves for example? Also, refusing to hire you because you have scars is discriminatory and bad practice, so if this is happening you should really call it out as it is unacceptable.
If you want to learn Japanese you can do so without using your college qualifications as a means to study it - there are lots of people who find free and paid lessons online can help them at the very least gain a good understanding of the foundations of different languages, and even a level of fluency with the right amount of commitment. For finding university courses that do accept BTEC qualifications (of which there are many) I would reccomend reading through this link below and looking into yourself what sort of courses might go well with the subjects you're studying.

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/ucas-application/can-you-get-into-university-if-youre-studying-btecs

As for jobs, like people have said searching around and being ready to hand out CV's is the best thing you can do. If you've failed the McDonalds application process it could well be because of your age - I worked there for around 2 years but initially got rejected when I applied at 16, but accepted when I applied at 18. It could also be because you're giving the wrong answers in the online application process, or aren't showing enough flexibility with hours in your application. McDonalds will more or less only give 8 hour shifts to anyone above 18, and 6 hour shifts to anyone below 18 - they don't do half shifts or anything like that unless you've worked there a while and are coming in for overtime. I can't reccomend McDonalds as a good place to work because it is an extremely stressful and pretty difficult job that doesn't pay well, but it can be very flexible and in my opinion is a good entry job simply because you can learn a lot of useful skills working there, and any job you get after working at McDonalds is likely going to seem much nicer in comparison. They can also provide long sleeve uniforms at your request if you want to cover up your scars. My advice would be to consider retrying the application process again soon as your local McDonalds may well be losing some staff at the moment who are going to be starting university and could be looking for staff to cover for them, but if you do so be careful with how you answer the questions, and make sure to give a good range in your availability, for example saying that you can start anywhere from 10am and finish up to 10pm on weekends.
Original post by Nmys
Is it not possible to cover the scars during interview and work with long sleeves for example? Also, refusing to hire you because you have scars is discriminatory and bad practice, so if this is happening you should really call it out as it is unacceptable.

Airlines want you to have 0 tattoos and scars, I know it seems unfair but that's just how it is. The only thing I'm interested in doing that doesn't require uni would be working as a flight attendant. So as you can see, I have 0 options.
Original post by -_alex_-
If you want to learn Japanese you can do so without using your college qualifications as a means to study it - there are lots of people who find free and paid lessons online can help them at the very least gain a good understanding of the foundations of different languages, and even a level of fluency with the right amount of commitment. For finding university courses that do accept BTEC qualifications (of which there are many) I would reccomend reading through this link below and looking into yourself what sort of courses might go well with the subjects you're studying.

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/ucas-application/can-you-get-into-university-if-youre-studying-btecs

As for jobs, like people have said searching around and being ready to hand out CV's is the best thing you can do. If you've failed the McDonalds application process it could well be because of your age - I worked there for around 2 years but initially got rejected when I applied at 16, but accepted when I applied at 18. It could also be because you're giving the wrong answers in the online application process, or aren't showing enough flexibility with hours in your application. McDonalds will more or less only give 8 hour shifts to anyone above 18, and 6 hour shifts to anyone below 18 - they don't do half shifts or anything like that unless you've worked there a while and are coming in for overtime. I can't reccomend McDonalds as a good place to work because it is an extremely stressful and pretty difficult job that doesn't pay well, but it can be very flexible and in my opinion is a good entry job simply because you can learn a lot of useful skills working there, and any job you get after working at McDonalds is likely going to seem much nicer in comparison. They can also provide long sleeve uniforms at your request if you want to cover up your scars. My advice would be to consider retrying the application process again soon as your local McDonalds may well be losing some staff at the moment who are going to be starting university and could be looking for staff to cover for them, but if you do so be careful with how you answer the questions, and make sure to give a good range in your availability, for example saying that you can start anywhere from 10am and finish up to 10pm on weekends.

Thank you for the reply. I'm looking for something to do as a career, idgaf about learning it in my spare time or having a part time job. My concern is about what I'm going to do in the future.
Reply 13
Airlines want you to have 0 tattoos and scars, I know it seems unfair but that's just how it is. The only thing I'm interested in doing that doesn't require uni would be working as a flight attendant. So as you can see, I have 0 options.

But in the meantime, you said you wanted to start your first job whilst at college, so try apply for positions where you can either cover your arms, or who don't have such a policy and will hire you.

I also believe that policy of no scars and tattoos may vary between airlines - some airline uniform is full-sleeve, therefore scars on your arm may not be such a major obstacle to achieving your dream as you believe. The only thing you can do is try, and the worst that will happen is you get told no, the best is you get a job offer.
You can't moan you won't get into uni if you're not even studying something related to the course. If you want to go, do something relevant so you meet the entry requirements.

Jobs are hard to come by, three attempts is nothing. Some people spend months, and have to apply to dozens of jobs. Try harder.

You don't have zero options. Careers don't jump at you. If you need to go to uni, do it. Not being able to be a flight attendant doesn't mean you don't have zero options.
F6E2949B-B724-4DF1-9388-CFBFF9CAA421.png
Original post by Nmys
But in the meantime, you said you wanted to start your first job whilst at college, so try apply for positions where you can either cover your arms, or who don't have such a policy and will hire you.

I also believe that policy of no scars and tattoos may vary between airlines - some airline uniform is full-sleeve, therefore scars on your arm may not be such a major obstacle to achieving your dream as you believe. The only thing you can do is try, and the worst that will happen is you get told no, the best is you get a job offer.

Getting a part time job while at college isn't a priority nor even an issue for me. I'm mainly worried about my future.

The main one I'd love to work for is British Airways, which does have a long sleeve uniform but also a short sleeved version, which obviously I will have to wear when appropriate. They do a full body check before hiring you, so I'm pretty sure I won't be hired. I don't think you understand how competitive it is.

I will of course try. I'm just saying I'm very worried. I have a whole spread sheet of what to do if x happens, what to do if y happens. This uncertainty is making me feel very depressed and unmotivated. I'm working my arse off at college for a qualification which will do nothing but hinder me.
You can't moan you won't get into uni if you're not even studying something related to the course. If you want to go, do something relevant so you meet the entry requirements.

Jobs are hard to come by, three attempts is nothing. Some people spend months, and have to apply to dozens of jobs. Try harder.

I'm not allowed to complain because I'm not going to meet the entry requirements? You say that as if I chose to do ****ing bricklaying or something and then decided I want to be a doctor.
Thank you for the reply. I'm looking for something to do as a career, idgaf about learning it in my spare time or having a part time job. My concern is about what I'm going to do in the future.

My point is that if you want a career that involves speaking Japanese you can get one without a degree in Japanese. If you've taken lessons to the point of being fluent in Japanese then you would be able to do a job that requires fluency in Japanese. Studying something at university is not the only route to a career. As for having a part-time job, it's completely up to you whether or not you want one, but having money and work experience does have a tendency to open doors.

If you're truly unhappy with what you're studying at college and don't think it's going to get you anywhere then you need to drop the courses, or finish them and apply to courses that you do want to do, and that you feel will actually help you get where you want to go. If you managed to achieve high grades in your BTEC's you'd be more likely to be allowed to do fast-track A-level courses that could allow you to get full qualifications in 1 year, although again, I would strongly advise looking at the career prospects and entry requirements for courses you'd like to do with the subjects you are studying - you might be surprised that there are options you're interested in. If there aren't, why continue studying the subjects you're studying at college?

If you want to be a flight attendent, there are ways you can cover scars - be it with long sleeve uniforms or with heavy duty concealer specifically made for covering scars.

Ultimately only you can decide what you want to do with your future, if you're not happy with where your future is headed then the only option is to try and change it, because it most likely isn't going to change itself. You might face difficulties with some of the things you want to do, but it is best to look at them as difficulties to be overcome and worked around rather than impossibilities that cannot possibly be overcome. In your original post you mention studying Japanese, working briefly as a flight attendent and getting a part-time job in college as things you are interested in doing, all 3 of which are possible, even if they might be easier to do in other circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending