Law text books - cilex exams /contract law Watch

DAT_ISHIMURA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi,

I’m sitting a level 6 contract law exam in January. I’ve been given an up to date text book from my law school, and i’ve also bought some used text books to give me more understanding of the topics. The used text books are old (2012 and 2014), but i’m using the law school text book to write down notes on the newer cases/statues etc. I’ve bought the old text books as they are just too expensive to buy new. Do you think that:

1) Using old law text books is dangerous
2) Revising from 3 text books is too much for note taking
ChrisMallonTutor
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I would definitely invest in a 2017 or 2018 contract law book.

Contract law moves at a very fast pace in some areas and less so in others.

For example, the area of unfair terms has been changed by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. This has drastically altered how unfair terms are dealt with. A student would be heavily penalised for failing to apply this legislation.

Another example is in the field of consideration. For Cilex Level 6 you will learn about part payment of debt and when agreements to accept less will be upheld. The Court of Appeal and recently the Supreme Court have revisited this area in MWB v Rock Advertising. A student who relied on older cases would score an average mark but an examiner in 2019 would expect you to mention the MWB case for a good mark.

My advice to you is to look for a used copy of one of the more accessible textbooks for contract law like Unlocking Contract Law (a revision guide but very detailed and great for building a very strong foundation for Cilex level 6). As a Cilex law tutor myself I regularly recommend this text and my students have done very very well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (23)
15.13%
Yes - a food allergy (14)
9.21%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (4)
2.63%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (6)
3.95%
No (105)
69.08%

Watched Threads