The Student Room Group

Do I need 3 facilitating A-level subjects to get into a good university?

Here's a bit of backstory: I'm in Year 12 and have been extremely indecisive about my A-level subjects.
Originally I took maths, physics, history, and psychology, but found physics too hard so I swapped it for chemistry, and had to drop history (since chem and history clashed on my timetable). And so now I'm doing maths, chemistry, psychology, and english lit. I wish I could take maths, chem and phys but I can't deal with physics. I'd be quite happy with just doing maths, chemistry, and history, but obviously that couldn't happen, so now I have to take the complicated route. :smile:

My concern is whether my a-levels would be good enough to go to a good university - like Russel group, possibly Oxbridge, and as well as if I could get onto STEM related courses. I'd have no problems with this if I actually knew what I wanted to study at uni, but I don't, so I'm very lost. My career may be in the field of science, but I'm not sure yet.

Maths and chemistry are both facilitating and highly regarded subjects, as well as eng lit, however psychology isn't one of such subjects. Pysch wouldn't be relevant to my career (I think).

I think I want to drop english lit as I don't think it's the right course for me (it takes a **** ton of effort), but if I drop it then I'll only have 2 facilitating subjects, and then I'm worried I won't have enough 'hard' subjects to be able to get onto, for example, a science uni course. (My school doesn't offer subjects such as further maths or languages at a-level so it's even harder for me to choose some hard subjects.)

I could take biology I suppose, but maths, chem and bio sounds like torture; plus I'm not up for learning mass amounts of material like you have to do in biology (but I am considering taking it). Since I don't know what career/course I want, I should take subjects that display a range of skills (like maths, a science, and an essay-based subject) but I can't take the ones I want. (If chem goes south I'll take maths, bio, history and psych.)

I wish I could stick to maths, chem, and physics, but I doubt I could handle physics. Plus I found it a bit boring and nothing really sparked my interest I guess, but I'm not completely ruling it out. (For context, some of my gcse grades were: bio - 8, chem - 9, phys - 8, eng lit - 9, maths - 8, and sociology - A).

I should add that in my school we can only take 3 A-levels and so have to drop one subject at year 13, so I might as well just stick with 3 now.

What are your thoughts on all this?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ay_shayy
Here's a bit of backstory: I'm in Year 12 and have been extremely indecisive about my A-level subjects.
Originally I took maths, physics, history, and psychology, but found physics too hard so I swapped it for chemistry, and had to drop history (since chem and history clashed on my timetable). And so now I'm doing maths, chemistry, psychology, and english lit. I wish I could take maths, chem and phys but I can't deal with physics. I'd be quite happy with just doing maths, chemistry, and history, but obviously that couldn't happen, so now I have to take the complicated route. :smile:

My concern is whether my a-levels would be good enough to go to a good university - like Russel group, possibly Oxbridge, and as well as if I could get onto STEM related courses. I'd have no problems with this if I actually knew what I wanted to study at uni, but I don't, so I'm very lost. My career may be in the field of science, but I'm not sure yet.

Maths and chemistry are both facilitating and highly regarded subjects, as well as eng lit, however psychology isn't one of such subjects. Pysch wouldn't be relevant to my career (I think).

I think I want to drop english lit as I don't think it's the right course for me (it takes a **** ton of effort), but if I drop it then I'll only have 2 facilitating subjects, and then I'm worried I won't have enough 'hard' subjects to be able to get onto, for example, a science uni course. (My school doesn't offer subjects such as further maths or languages at a-level so it's even harder for me to choose some hard subjects.)

I could take biology I suppose, but maths, chem and bio sounds like torture; plus I'm not up for learning mass amounts of material like you have to do in biology (but I am considering taking it). Since I don't know what career/course I want, I should take subjects that display a range of skills (like maths, a science, and an essay-based subject) but I can't take the ones I want. (If chem goes south I'll take maths, bio, history and psych.)

I wish I could stick to maths, chem, and physics, but I doubt I could handle physics. Plus I found it a bit boring and nothing really sparked my interest I guess, but I'm not completely ruling it out. (For context, some of my gcse grades were: bio - 8, chem - 9, phys - 8, eng lit - 9, maths - 8, and sociology - A).

I should add that in my school we can only take 3 A-levels and so have to drop one subject at year 13, so I might as well just stick with 3 now.

That your mind is all over the place and overcomplicates things.
Utter chaos.

You need to get an idea of what courses you wish to do, but normally:

2 science + 1 other is good enough for stem.
Chem and Bio work well together as do maths and physics.

Also its nice to have 2 facilitating subjects as they tend to be well respected and your third is less important.

Look at what you enjoy and can get the best grades in as they will get you into the best uni.

If your option works for the unis you want to go to and your chosen course then its all good.

Read these links and use the tools.

Which course?

https://my.sacu-student.com/sacustudent/f?p=SACU_BROWSE0

https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Which A levels?

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/six-things-you-need-to-know-before-making-your-a-level-choices
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
That your mind is all over the place and overcomplicates things.
Utter chaos.

You need to get an idea of what courses you wish to do, but normally:

2 science + 1 other is good enough for stem.
Chem and Bio work well together as do maths and physics.

Also its nice to have 2 facilitating subjects as they tend to be well respected and your third is less important.

Look at what you enjoy and can get the best grades in as they will get you into the best uni.

If your option works for the unis you want to go to and your chosen course then its all good.

Read these links and use the tools.

Which course?

https://my.sacu-student.com/sacustudent/f?p=SACU_BROWSE0

https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Which A levels?

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/six-things-you-need-to-know-before-making-your-a-level-choices

I definitely agree with you that my mind is chaotic :blushing: Thank you so much for your help.
You don’t really need more than 2 facilitating subjects. For non-STEM people get into RGs for courses such as Law with no facilitating subjects at all (:/) so for the most part you have nothing to worry about even if you decided to not do a STEM related subject
(edited 5 years ago)
I definitely agree with you that my mind is chaotic :blushing: Thank you so much for your help.

I did read it , but its nit good for my brain trying to understand chaos.
No need to overcomplicate it. i was just making you aware you werent doing yourself any favours.

Psychology will actually help you to develop some really good essay and argument writing skills so there are some really core skills in the subject, even if you don’t pursue it to further study. It’ll also teach you skills you can apply in the rest of your life like learning to read people and about motivations etc.

But it as others have said it would be worth doing some research into what you want to do and tailoring your A-level options to that.
Reply 6
Original post by Nathan Scott
You don’t really need more than 2 facilitating subjects. For non-STEM people get into RGs for courses such as Law with no facilitating subjects at all (:/) so for the most part you have nothing to worry about even if you decided to not do a STEM related subject

The thing is, I've been researching STEM university courses, and almost all of them require maths and at least two sciences at A-level, if not all three. I doubt I'd be able to deal with taking all three, but I'm just stuck on whether I should then take physics or biology. Physics is the hardest generally especially since I don't find it that interesting, and biology is alright (in terms of difficulty and my interest), but just the abundance of info to be learnt is extremely hard.

My best bet would be to, I guess, take maths, chem and physics (or biology) since that would probably get me into most fields regardless of whether they're STEM-related, it's just down to me being able to do physics. Then again, I'm not planning on becoming a doctor or anything so biology is less relevant I think (but obviously still valued). But there's no point in taking a subject you struggle at/aren't completely interested in :,). Thanks for your response
(edited 5 years ago)
The thing is, I've been researching STEM university courses, and almost all of them require maths and at least two sciences at A-level, if not all three. I doubt I'd be able to deal with taking all three, but I'm just stuck on whether I should then take physics or biology. Physics is the hardest generally especially since I don't find it that interesting, and biology is alright (in terms of difficulty and my interest), but just the abundance of info to be learnt is extremely hard.

My best bet would be to, I guess, take maths, chem and physics (or biology) since that would probably get me into most fields regardless of whether they're STEM-related, it's just down to me being able to do physics. But there's no point in taking a subject you struggle at/aren't completely interested in :,). Thanks for your response

Are there any specific courses you want to do? Yes you’ll need physics for any physics related course just as you’d need biology for most biology related courses, unless you want to do physics or engineering (where it may help/be required) I’d do maths chem and bio if you’re unsure you’d do well in physics. Psychology is fine but is very content heavy and from my experience - quite dull, if I were in you’re position I’d have chosen maths, bio and chem especially if you believe you’d do well in them.
Reply 8
Original post by SuperCat007
Psychology will actually help you to develop some really good essay and argument writing skills so there are some really core skills in the subject, even if you don’t pursue it to further study. It’ll also teach you skills you can apply in the rest of your life like learning to read people and about motivations etc.

But it as others have said it would be worth doing some research into what you want to do and tailoring your A-level options to that.

I'd be okay with doing psychology, it's just about how that would benefit my career/uni course option. I understand it provides a range of skills (but I already learnt similar skills at GCSE, although I don't know if that counts) which would be good, but it's just not relevant to my career :frown: and unis are pretty picky about what subjects you choose. I just don't wanna take any risks. :/
Thanks for your advice :smile:
I'd be okay with doing psychology, it's just about how that would benefit my career/uni course option. I understand it provides a range of skills (but I already learnt similar skills at GCSE, although I don't know if that counts) which would be good, but it's just not relevant to my career :frown: and unis are pretty picky about what subjects you choose. I just don't wanna take any risks. :/
Thanks for your advice :smile:

It depends which courses you’re looking at. They really aren’t as strict as you’re making out. I had offers for Nat Sci, biology, microbiology and biochemistry with biology, chemistry and psychology (and a terrible AS physics grade I decided not to resit). Choose what is right for you as well. Email some admissions tutors at universities you want to go to and ask them, it’s what they’re there for. What about at your school, is there nobody there who can advise you?

What career or course do you want to do? STEM is a group of subjects, not a course on its own. Which out of the STEM subject do you want to pursue, tailor your subject choices to that subject.

Not it wanting to seem pushy on the psychology subject but honestly if you can understand people it can be applied to any situation anywhere. Not that the A-level really teaches that, but if you’re intelligent enough you can apply what you learn to the rest of your life. Plus if you’re good at revision and essay writing and rote learning it can be an easy one to get a high grade in.
Facilitating means flexible - it doesn’t mean respected. The RG recommend 2 facilitating subjects if you’re unsure about what you want to study at university.

In terms of respectability - psychology is on the approved subject list of LSE, UCL and Sheffield (the only universities with specific lists of preferred subjects). It’s not on any universities **** list.

I knew a RG chemistry admissions tutor who said he preferred applicants with psychology - because out of all A levels it actually had a structure closest to university science teaching (using studies and published papers to structure an argument). Maths, chem and psych would be perfect for chem degrees.

Get booked into some open days for your nearby big universities and find out more about different stem degrees (and other degrees) and talk to people about your choices.
(edited 5 years ago)
How did you find physics hard in the first week? wtf were you learning. Just take what you find interesting and be done with it. I'm p sure you only need 2 facilitating subjects but maybe you should look at some courses you want to do and make your mind up that way.
Reply 12
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
How did you find physics hard in the first week? wtf were you learning. Just take what you find interesting and be done with it. I'm p sure you only need 2 facilitating subjects but maybe you should look at some courses you want to do and make your mind up that way.

Lmao maybe I'm just a dumb *****, who knows, but we were learning resolving forces, units, base quantities (?), errors, etc. Anyway thanks for your reply mate, I'll look at some courses
Reply 13
Are there any specific courses you want to do? Yes you’ll need physics for any physics related course just as you’d need biology for most biology related courses, unless you want to do physics or engineering (where it may help/be required) I’d do maths chem and bio if you’re unsure you’d do well in physics. Psychology is fine but is very content heavy and from my experience - quite dull, if I were in you’re position I’d have chosen maths, bio and chem especially if you believe you’d do well in them.

Honestly, I haven't got a clue on the courses I wanna do. I am gonna be doing a lot of research though so I can figure something out. But technically speaking, if I don't like physics, I probably won't enjoy a career out of it. Biology would be a good option for me since it's interesting, I just don't know if I'd be able to succeed, given the abundance of content and the difficult exam questions (as I've heard).

EDIT: I've decided I won't be doing physics, but now I have to decide whether I wanna do biology or not.
(edited 5 years ago)
Lmao maybe I'm just a dumb *****, who knows, but we were learning resolving forces, units, base quantities (?), errors, etc. Anyway thanks for your reply mate, I'll look at some courses

Yeah resolving forces is fairly hard but idk hardly anyone gets physics straight away. But yeah you should look at some courses.
Honestly, I haven't got a clue on the courses I wanna do. I am gonna be doing a lot of research though so I can figure something out. But technically speaking, if I don't like physics, I probably won't enjoy a career out of it. Biology would be a good option for me since it's interesting, I just don't know if I'd be able to succeed, given the abundance of content and the difficult exam questions (as I've heard).

EDIT: I've decided I won't be doing physics, but now I have to decide whether I wanna do biology or not.

Hmm, may be a good idea to do biology then. I don’t think psychology will be much easier in terms of the amount of content, some people will probably struggle to understand the bio content but with your GCSEs I think you should do fine.

your singular, not "you're" because that's possessive and it is saying if I was in you are position which makes no sense, unless it's a typo which is fair enough
From the sounds of things, you should probably go for mathematics, chemistry and biology of you doubt your abilities in physics and if a course requires it, then perhaps it isn't the course for you unless it's for a competitive course/ one that involves a little physics but isn't based off it. Good luck!
Reply 18
Original post by Purplemonkeys
From the sounds of things, you should probably go for mathematics, chemistry and biology of you doubt your abilities in physics and if a course requires it, then perhaps it isn't the course for you unless it's for a competitive course/ one that involves a little physics but isn't based off it. Good luck!

Thanks! I ended up choosing biology though and not chemistry. I find the environment of my bio class is way better than the one of chemistry so hopefully I should feel better there.

Quick Reply

Latest