The Student Room Group
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales

University of South Wales Applicants 2019

Hi there,

is there anybody who's already applied at the USW for a course beginning in 2019?

Maybe we can wait together for the uni to response and chat about what course we applied for :smile:

name: Lucy
course: Master of Chiropractic (4years)
home country: Germany
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've just added this to a huge list of similar threads HERE. Check it out to find applicants threads for other universities you're applying to, and for you courses as well.

Good luck everyone.
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales
I applied for computer science :smile:

I got my offer, have you got yours yet?

good luck though! :smile:
Reply 3
Hi kurro,
yes, I got an offer on October 30th and I accepted it :smile:
Will I see u on campus next year, too?
Original post by Lucy4Wave
Hi kurro,
yes, I got an offer on October 30th and I accepted it :smile:
Will I see u on campus next year, too?

Hay, thats so good. Congrats!
Depending on my results I most likely will choose USW.
So we might even walk past each other on campus unknowingly :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm considering USW,are you starting in Sept 2019?
Original post by reallyjaan
I'm considering USW,are you starting in Sept 2019?

I am :smile:
Well cardiff is my first choice, then if i dont get ABB I will go to USW
are you 100% going there?
I will apply in a day or two.
Hi all,

I am looking to start in September 2019 studying aircraft maintenance engineering.

I am going in as a mature student at 24, tell you what i cant wait!!
Original post by aircraftcharls
Hi all,

I am looking to start in September 2019 studying aircraft maintenance engineering.

Good job! :smile:
So we might even see each other unknowingly haha
Reply 10
Original post by aircraftcharls
Hi all,

Congratulations! I am going to be 23. We are the oldies :wink:
Thank you, congrats to you too!! I know! :smile: being older will have its advantages I’m sure. Can’t wait!!
hey Kurro, I also received an offer from USW for CS. I was wondering what you were applying for at Cardiff uni, since I'm applying there for Software Engineering. also good luck with your offers :smile:
Original post by armisticeday
hey Kurro, I also received an offer from USW for CS. I was wondering what you were applying for at Cardiff uni, since I'm applying there for Software Engineering. also good luck with your offers :smile:

I applied for CS in Cardiff.
I would have gone with software engineering for Cardiff too as that's what I want to do when I am older but I didn't know you were allowed to choose different subjects like that.
What's your first choice? maybe we will pass each other unknowingly too haha
And what a level subjects did you chose?
Also, do you know what laptop to get for CS?
Sorry for all the questions haha
Original post by kurro
I applied for CS in Cardiff.
I would have gone with software engineering for Cardiff too as that's what I want to do when I am older but I didn't know you were allowed to choose different subjects like that.
What's your first choice? maybe we will pass each other unknowingly too haha
And what a level subjects did you chose?
Also, do you know what laptop to get for CS?
Sorry for all the questions haha

ohhh okay, I went for software engineering specifically because that's what I want to do also, otherwise I would have applied for CS too - i think my firm choice will most likely be Cardiff Uni, the course just looks too good compared to the other courses i applied to. if I don't end up getting the grades then i'll probably put Aberystwyth as my insurance choice, their CS course is (looking at the student stats and modules etc) looks really good too (also the location looks fab :biggrin:)

gotta be honest, my A levels are quite unrelated to computer science, whch was my mistake, but since doing things myself and learning outside of school I'm pretty sure it's something I should have taken for my A levels (must've been the personal statement that showed them this, otherwise I doubt I would've even been considered), but for mine I took History, ICT and Geography. We also have compulsory welsh baccalaureate, which is considered by most Welsh unis as a proper A level (surprisingly).

for a laptop, i would probably recommend the Asus VivoBook S15, for starters it looks really nice and minimal, it's super light, decent specs for student use, long battery life and has a 256 GB ssd (not much for games etc, but for uni work it should be fine - i believe you can also upgrade it if you're willing to pay more, think there's a 1TB hdd model). I use mine for outside school use, since I've used a different laptop for school running on ubuntu for a while, so i'll probably make the VivoBook my full time laptop when it dies.

no problem about questions, i'm also looking for more info haha
so, what are you studying for your A levels?? do you come from Wales?
:smile:
ohhh okay, I went for software engineering specifically because that's what I want to do also, otherwise I would have applied for CS too - i think my firm choice will most likely be Cardiff Uni, the course just looks too good compared to the other courses i applied to. if I don't end up getting the grades then i'll probably put Aberystwyth as my insurance choice, their CS course is (looking at the student stats and modules etc) looks really good too (also the location looks fab :biggrin:)

gotta be honest, my A levels are quite unrelated to computer science, whch was my mistake, but since doing things myself and learning outside of school I'm pretty sure it's something I should have taken for my A levels (must've been the personal statement that showed them this, otherwise I doubt I would've even been considered), but for mine I took History, ICT and Geography. We also have compulsory welsh baccalaureate, which is considered by most Welsh unis as a proper A level (surprisingly).

for a laptop, i would probably recommend the Asus VivoBook S15, for starters it looks really nice and minimal, it's super light, decent specs for student use, long battery life and has a 256 GB ssd (not much for games etc, but for uni work it should be fine - i believe you can also upgrade it if you're willing to pay more, think there's a 1TB hdd model). I use mine for outside school use, since I've used a different laptop for school running on ubuntu for a while, so i'll probably make the VivoBook my full time laptop when it dies.

no problem about questions, i'm also looking for more info haha
so, what are you studying for your A levels?? do you come from Wales?
:smile:

Thanks for all the info, helps a lot. And that laptop is really good for the price :smile:

My levels are also not related to CS, I didn't know what to do when I chose the subjects but they are maths (the only one that helps), chemistry and art. I had physics in AS but I dropped it as it was too hard for me. Or maybe because I was too lazy to revise. I did the bare minimum and got BCC and D for physics hahaha (I am an idiot.)
But at least you have ICT, that should help for CS/software engineering, right?

Yes, I am from Wales. I applied to Swansea, Cardiff, USW, UWE, and Brighton. My initial thoughts were to chose 2 fairly good universities with high-grade requirements (Swansea-AAB, Cardiff-ABB But luckily Cardiff dropped it down to BBB last week for some reason and Swansea might let me have BBB too as I live there haha) Then the last 3 would gradually decrease in grades. I am not expecting myself to get good grades this year, there is so much workload haha
My first choice is Cardiff, my second choice is probably USW as they gave me an unconditional offer so if I fail I still have hope lol

By the way, do you know any coding languages? As I don't know anything about it and my friend who does aerospace at Bristol said it would help if I start with c++, java or python.

And have you done any revision over the holidays yet?
(I am a master procrastinator :wink:)
Original post by kurro
Thanks for all the info, helps a lot. And that laptop is really good for the price :smile:

My levels are also not related to CS, I didn't know what to do when I chose the subjects but they are maths (the only one that helps), chemistry and art. I had physics in AS but I dropped it as it was too hard for me. Or maybe because I was too lazy to revise. I did the bare minimum and got BCC and D for physics hahaha (I am an idiot.)
But at least you have ICT, that should help for CS/software engineering, right?

Yes, I am from Wales. I applied to Swansea, Cardiff, USW, UWE, and Brighton. My initial thoughts were to chose 2 fairly good universities with high-grade requirements (Swansea-AAB, Cardiff-ABB But luckily Cardiff dropped it down to BBB last week for some reason and Swansea might let me have BBB too as I live there haha) Then the last 3 would gradually decrease in grades. I am not expecting myself to get good grades this year, there is so much workload haha
My first choice is Cardiff, my second choice is probably USW as they gave me an unconditional offer so if I fail I still have hope lol

By the way, do you know any coding languages? As I don't know anything about it and my friend who does aerospace at Bristol said it would help if I start with c++, java or python.

And have you done any revision over the holidays yet?
(I am a master procrastinator :wink:)

no problem, so far this laptop has served me well and hasn't caused any problems. also... are we the same person? i'm such a chronic procrastinator it's amazing that i got to A2 lol. I too got a BCC at AS and was encouraged not to drop geography (with a U :colondollar:), but since Welsh bacc is such an easy A level for anybody, i'm just counting on getting at a least a B in that, and hopefully bumping ICT and History up to a B as well. Can't be arsed for geography if i'm honest :biggrin:

I didn't apply to Swansea, but Cardiff offered me a BBB instead of an ABB as well, which was kind of them haha

Believe it or not i only live about 1.5 miles from the CS campus (treforest) for USW, so i'm still unsure between USW and the others, as it would be super convenient, but y'know, still got until May to decide.

as for languages, i began learning Visual Basic programming about 4 years ago before realising i enjoyed programming, and then started learning HTML 5 and CSS about a year after that. To be honest, work load in school got so much i did stop learning for about 2 years, which meant that i only started getting back into it about a year ago now, where i've covered the fundamentals of Python and the fundamentals of Computer science (since I never did it at GCSE or A level - nothing serious tho, just like the basics of computing, how they work and a bit of maths), which i've enjoyed a lot. It's quite easy to pick up in a month or two. if i end up accepting an offer from USW, i am considering looking into C++ a bit more over the Summer, since the course page says that's the main language they'll be focussing on.

after reading this i'm sure you know the answer to my subject revision lol. I'm PLANNING on starting next week, but you know how the procrastinators' thought process goes :colondollar:
also, did you do CS or computing at GCSE??
no problem, so far this laptop has served me well and hasn't caused any problems. also... are we the same person? i'm such a chronic procrastinator it's amazing that i got to A2 lol. I too got a BCC at AS and was encouraged not to drop geography (with a U :colondollar:), but since Welsh bacc is such an easy A level for anybody, i'm just counting on getting at a least a B in that, and hopefully bumping ICT and History up to a B as well. Can't be arsed for geography if i'm honest :biggrin:

I didn't apply to Swansea, but Cardiff offered me a BBB instead of an ABB as well, which was kind of them haha

Believe it or not i only live about 1.5 miles from the CS campus (treforest) for USW, so i'm still unsure between USW and the others, as it would be super convenient, but y'know, still got until May to decide.

as for languages, i began learning Visual Basic programming about 4 years ago before realising i enjoyed programming, and then started learning HTML 5 and CSS about a year after that. To be honest, work load in school got so much i did stop learning for about 2 years, which meant that i only started getting back into it about a year ago now, where i've covered the fundamentals of Python and the fundamentals of Computer science (since I never did it at GCSE or A level - nothing serious tho, just like the basics of computing, how they work and a bit of maths), which i've enjoyed a lot. It's quite easy to pick up in a month or two. if i end up accepting an offer from USW, i am considering looking into C++ a bit more over the Summer, since the course page says that's the main language they'll be focussing on.

after reading this i'm sure you know the answer to my subject revision lol. I'm PLANNING on starting next week, but you know how the procrastinators' thought process goes :colondollar:
also, did you do CS or computing at GCSE??

WOW
It's insane how most of our school life is similar hahaha
I also did some kind of programming 4 years ago (forgot what I did tho), but I must have forgotten about learning it and didn't carry on :/

Don't worry I believe you will get a B or more in geography I just know you will :wink: We have to somehow channel our procrastination into revision.
But I feel ya, geography was such a drag in GCSE.
In my sixth form, we luckily had an option to chose Welsh bacc. Those who had 7A's or more could drop it, otherwise, it's compulsory. I just scraped it with 8A's hehe

If you live that close, at least you won't have to pay accommodation fees. If I got the grades for Swansea I still wouldn't go as I want to leave home as soon as possible (I hate being the oldest sibling so much responsibility and so much babysitting). I only chose it to make my parents happy lol

You have done a lot of programming, you better get that 1st honors degree my g :smile:

I did choose ICT in GCSE but my class didn't learn anything that we didn't already know. A year 7 could probably get a distinction* with no prior knowledge to anything related to computers. Yes it was that easy ahahhaha

As a fellow master procrastinator, that was exactly my plan hahaha
But I actually need to do art. My final piece was supposed to be finished before the holiday started......oops :colondollar:

But good luck, hope you get the grades you need and get into the uni you want xD
Do you think you will stay in the UK when you look for a job or another country? 0.o
Original post by kurro
WOW
It's insane how most of our school life is similar hahaha
I also did some kind of programming 4 years ago (forgot what I did tho), but I must have forgotten about learning it and didn't carry on :/

Don't worry I believe you will get a B or more in geography I just know you will :wink: We have to somehow channel our procrastination into revision.
But I feel ya, geography was such a drag in GCSE.
In my sixth form, we luckily had an option to chose Welsh bacc. Those who had 7A's or more could drop it, otherwise, it's compulsory. I just scraped it with 8A's hehe

If you live that close, at least you won't have to pay accommodation fees. If I got the grades for Swansea I still wouldn't go as I want to leave home as soon as possible (I hate being the oldest sibling so much responsibility and so much babysitting). I only chose it to make my parents happy lol

You have done a lot of programming, you better get that 1st honors degree my g :smile:

I did choose ICT in GCSE but my class didn't learn anything that we didn't already know. A year 7 could probably get a distinction* with no prior knowledge to anything related to computers. Yes it was that easy ahahhaha

As a fellow master procrastinator, that was exactly my plan hahaha
But I actually need to do art. My final piece was supposed to be finished before the holiday started......oops :colondollar:

But good luck, hope you get the grades you need and get into the uni you want xD
Do you think you will stay in the UK when you look for a job or another country? 0.o

damn 8 As is nuts, fair play - i didn't do as well :colondollar:
Yeah i have been thinking about how easy it would make life be if i lived here near the uni, but i do also want to get out of the area. It's not exactly the most exciting place lol. it would be amazing to learn more about living and independence etc, so i am kinda having second thoughts about living with my parents or just staying in Pontypridd in general, maybe somewhere nice and far like aberystwyth :biggrin:

I also did ICT in GCSE, we barely learned anything either. Teacher had maternity leave shortly after the course began, and we ended up having like 4 different teachers, it was horrendous but still it was mostly just common sense really haha

so, my procrastination has served me well once more. i managed to send 1 out of 3 of my works to be completed today, but i'm still pretty behind. Just need one of those 'night-before-the-deadline' sessions to kick me into action :wink:

so far i'm pretty sure i'll be staying in the UK for a long time, maybe i'll consider working abroad if the opportunity comes along haha
also, i too hope that you get those grades :biggrin: good luck with your art and other studies, perhaps we'll pass each other at some point in the future:smile:
Hey, i'm Shona, i've been accepted to study Police Sciences at USW :smile:I myself am from Wales so fairly familiar of the area. I visited Germany when I was younger ad loves it there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending