The Student Room Group

Aberdeen vs St Andrews

Hi,
I'll be applying for medicine for 2019 entry and have already chosen three of my options (Dundee, Edinburgh, and Glasgow) but can't decide between Aberdeen and St Andrews for the fourth choice. I really like the idea of St Andrews because it's so close to me and the academic side of medicine (which I know is not the only thing that makes a good doctor but it still appeals to me). Aberdeen is a bit further afield for me but I love being outdoors and in the countryside and I know they specialize in rural medicine which is swaying me a bit. I got 6As at higher and a UKCAT of 712.5 (band 2) if that matters. If anyone can offer any advice it'd be much appreciated :smile:
Damn u are smart, with that ukcat can we be mates

I would go with St. Andrews because from what I know after 3 years of med school depending on where you prefer to undertake your final three years of training after graduating from the University of St Andrews:

Scotland route (Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow)
England route (Manchester, London)
No Preference route.
So I would definitely go with st Andrews coz at least u are assured of not being stuck in one place for 6 years and since u were considering Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, so you could still transfer to any after 3 years.
Good luck.
And give me some ukcat tips, I failed it terribly
Original post by Shish_bish
Damn u are smart, with that ukcat can we be mates

I would go with St. Andrews because from what I know after 3 years of med school depending on where you prefer to undertake your final three years of training after graduating from the University of St Andrews:

Scotland route (Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow)
England route (Manchester, London)
No Preference route.
So I would definitely go with st Andrews coz at least u are assured of not being stuck in one place for 6 years and since u were considering Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, so you could still transfer to any after 3 years.
Good luck.
And give me some ukcat tips, I failed it terribly

That's a really good point, if I applied to St Andrews I could go to both universities if I'm getting that correct?

And thank you for your kind words about the UKCAT, when you say you failed it terribly does that mean you've already sat it and are trying to apply strategically or that you've been failing mocks etc and have the real thing coming up soon?
Original post by cameron2101
That's a really good point, if I applied to St Andrews I could go to both universities if I'm getting that correct?

And thank you for your kind words about the UKCAT, when you say you failed it terribly does that mean you've already sat it and are trying to apply strategically or that you've been failing mocks etc and have the real thing coming up soon?

Yap, you could go to both.

Did it in August, failed way below average mainly coz I wasn’t prepared and I wish I even did some mocks, the test was ok , it is the timing, it’s insane like 46 questions in 22minutes but I am to blame for my failure. So I said to myself y waste this year applying yet I can take a gap year and apply with achieved grades, my predictions are pretty high so hopefully I will get 3As or 3A*s, God knows, Alevel results are so unpredictable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending