The Student Room Group

Which maths book for personal statement???

I will be applying for financial maths/maths and finance in unis( cardiff, swansea, exeter, dundee as of now)
I am not sure which maths book to mention to read. I want it to be interesting with maths in it and something that relates well when mentioning in personal statment. MY choices are:
1) MATHEMATICAL CIRCUS by martin gardner
2) e: THE STORY OF A NUMBER by eli maor
3) FROM HERE TO INFINITY by ian stewart
Or any other suggestion??
Reply 1
Original post by ASZHM
I will be applying for financial maths/maths and finance in unis( cardiff, swansea, exeter, dundee as of now)
I am not sure which maths book to mention to read. I want it to be interesting with maths in it and something that relates well when mentioning in personal statment. MY choices are:
1) MATHEMATICAL CIRCUS by martin gardner
2) e: THE STORY OF A NUMBER by eli maor
3) FROM HERE TO INFINITY by ian stewart
Or any other suggestion??

Don't mention Maths book. You will be wasting space, and they will easily see that you havent read it. Just focus on explaining what you like about Maths; what are the areas you have found interesting; why you feel Maths is for you; how it will help you with your career aspirations and what skills you have that will help you during Maths degree.

Those uni are lenient and do not out much emphasis on personal statement (I attend one of them, and have friends in all of them doing the same course)
Reply 2
I am kind of lost with personal statement atm. So if i find an interesting one I will read it and just reference it with what i find interesting in maths so not writing about the book itself.

Quick Reply

Latest