Elon Musk unveils first tourist for SpaceX 'Moon loop' Watch

MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Elon Musk's company SpaceX has unveiled the first private passenger it plans to fly around the Moon.

Japanese billionaire and online fashion tycoon Yusaku Maezawa, 42, announced: "I choose to go to the Moon."

The mission is planned for 2023, and would be the first lunar journey by humans since 1972.

But it is reliant on a rocket that has not been built yet, and Mr Musk cautioned: "It's not 100% certain we can bring this to flight."

Mr Maezawa made headlines last year after paying $110.5m (£85.4m) for a painting by the late artist Jean-Michel Basquiat at an auction in New York.

The art enthusiast said on Monday he would invite six to eight artists from around the world to join him on the trip.

"They will be asked to create something after they return to Earth. These masterpieces will inspire the dreamer within all of us," he told reporters.

Only 24 humans have visited the Moon - all of them Americans; 12 of them landed on the moon. Nasa's Apollo 17 in December 1972 marked the last time humans landed on the moon, or went beyond low Earth orbit.

Mr Maezawa will not land on the moon. He will travel on what is called a "free return trajectory", which will bring his BFR ship back to Earth after it has gone around the far side of the satellite.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45550755

So away from all his legal trouble, Musk and SpaceX roll on with the unveiling of their first private passenger. Pretty cool to think about how one day this sort of thing will be a reality.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Musk says a lot of thing. It is one thing to fire a rocket into orbit it is quite another for this crack pot to do what he's claiming.
username4258166
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
Musk says a lot of thing. It is one thing to fire a rocket into orbit it is quite another for this crack pot to do what he's claiming.
Hardly a crackpot.Hes a self made billionaire.His company have made rockets reusable and his BFR rocket which is in development is definitely big enough to do the job.Its going to be big and powerful enough to carry astronauts to mars never mind the moon.Whether it happens by 2023 is a different matter but I'm sure it will happen eventually.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by RS564)
Hardly a crackpot.Hes a self made billionaire.His company have made rockets reusable and his BFR rocket which is in development is definitely big enough to do the job.Its going to be big and powerful enough to carry astronauts to mars never mind the moon.Whether it happens by 2023 is a different matter but I'm sure it will happen eventually.
He’s still a crackpot, the fact he’s rich is immaterial to his mental stability.
‘His company’...
Using the argument of ‘everything’s possible with time’ really isn’t a particularly good one in this case.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads