The Student Room Group

plz help

I got ABB in my AS in history economics and sociology. I have a choice of either law , history or accounting and finance at uni. so I need to know whether its better to do history at queen mary/manchester or law at like liverpool if i wanna become a solicitor at a top firm? is it better to do history at queen/manchester or accounting and finance at royal/sheffield if i want to enter top 4 accounting firms? i aspire to be a solicitor mainly cuz my dad is one like he has been in magic circle firms so i believe connections play a role but also cuz i want to beocme a lawyer. but my dad is suggesting i get into accounting since he says that law sector is dead due to brexit potentially and Artifical intelligence and that accountants are in demand and always employable. so basically interms of job destination im looking at being a solicitor or accountant. plz help. but i really like history and i got an A in it and i love it so idk dammitt...
Original post by abdulunited4
I got ABB in my AS in history economics and sociology. I have a choice of either law , history or accounting and finance at uni. so I need to know whether its better to do history at queen mary/manchester or law at like liverpool if i wanna become a solicitor at a top firm? is it better to do history at queen/manchester or accounting and finance at royal/sheffield if i want to enter top 4 accounting firms? i aspire to be a solicitor mainly cuz my dad is one like he has been in magic circle firms so i believe connections play a role but also cuz i want to beocme a lawyer. but my dad is suggesting i get into accounting since he says that law sector is dead due to brexit potentially and Artifical intelligence and that accountants are in demand and always employable. so basically interms of job destination im looking at being a solicitor or accountant. plz help. but i really like history and i got an A in it and i love it so idk dammitt...

Shouldnt you be speaking to your dad?
It doesnt matter, do the degree where you can get the best grade. You need to make your mind up about law or accountancy. You keep changing what you want mid sentence.

I suggest you get some work experience to see what you like best. They are very different professions.
Original post by 999tigger
Shouldnt you be speaking to your dad?
It doesnt matter, do the degree where you can get the best grade. You need to make your mind up about law or accountancy. You keep changing what you want mid sentence.

I suggest you get some work experience to see what you like best. They are very different professions.

thanks for replying. cant i do an accounting finance degree then do a GDL? would law firmslike that? would they accept me?
those grades are at AS so i could jump up to 3A;s at A2 we never know. makes sense maybe my dad just wants me to do accounting finance cuz he knows there is huge demand for it. unlike law. my dad did say that in his time at mc firm they use to need 5 lawyers to dig up and find 1 case now u type it all up using a pc and find it there. thats what he means by AI. and with a no brexit deal the law sector might lose 50&% of their jobs. im not denying what ur saying bro. im just stuck. whats legal tech prep? would be a good idea if i did a accounting and finance degree then did a gdl? would law firms like that? thanks for replying
thanks for replying. cant i do an accounting finance degree then do a GDL? would law firmslike that? would they accept me?

You can if you want.

Again should you be speaking to your dad?

If London's reign as a services powerhouse is over, why would the Big 4 be safe but law firms not? They do somewhat similar work.

The future is not clear. One possible deal is that the UK and the EU will retain regulatory consistency post-Brexit, possibly with a greater role of non-EU RTAs in the future. Another is that we have an acrimonious separation and we set up an entirely separate regulatory regime and non-EUs RTAs become king (TiSA and TPP, NB EU is the main driver for the former). Either way, in the immediate future, the regulatory landscape is going towards more complexity. In time non-EU and EU regulation is probably going to become synchronised (over some time if the Dhaka Negs are anything to go by); and this might lessen the complexity (even against the current level within EU). Hardly sounds like the death knell for London's legal industry immediately or distally.
(edited 5 years ago)
Do you believe that the whole SQE situation is something that would assist non-law graduates? yes I will try my best to pump up those grades to AAA. I believe my predictions so far are A* in hist , A in eco and sociology is not decided yet. so ill hope for the best. I am more leaned towards doing history but issue is i am a brit who wants to follow the footsteps of my relatives who usually work in the middle east where there are good salaries and tax free. a history degree is regarded as a joke in arab countries which is stupid af. so ill do an accounting and finance degree at sheffield and either become an accountant or do the sqe exams then become a solicitors. do you believe AF at sheffield then sqe exams will hellp me get a TC? I am also bilingual if that helps in arabic and english? thanks for replying bro. just curious did u study llb law if so where? thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending