The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Shordaay
Human beings are sex machines and are not able to conform to christian moral laws about sex.

What is your take on this? Are you for or against? Give your views.

Theres nothing to discuss, there are examples of people who remain abstinent and do follow Christian morals and there are examples of those who don't.
No amount of sermonising from men in dresses will prevent the enjoyment and social bonding humans gain from sex.
are you happy to have a title like that ? okay you are a sex machine or will be
Not conforming to one religions rules doesn't mean people are sex maniacs who cannot help themselves. It just means that they disagree with it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by marniepippa
are you happy to have a title like that ? okay you are a sex machine or will be

I just wanted to hear people's views on the topic. Thats all
Reply 6
Original post by Sulfolobus
No amount of sermonising from men in dresses will prevent the enjoyment and social bonding humans gain from sex.

So would you say that the statement is true and you believe that we are?
Reply 7
Yes, humans (and all creatures) are built for sex. It is our purpose to reproduce.
It is difficult to abide by Christian morals regarding sex, especially as they are very vague. The Bible frequently mentions 'sexual immorality' but what that is is not specifically defined.
But if we're talking about sex before marriage, people are able abstain till marriage, but it's difficult. This is because nothing, not even religion, can overtake instinct, and it is our purpose to have sex/reproduce. We have no instinct of formal, structured wedding, because that's a man-made ceremony.
And we see priests and nuns of certain denominations who are celibate who are involved in sex scandals, or nuns being violent because their sexual urges are repressed. We will always revert back to the instinct that we, like other animals, are reproducing machines.
Reply 8
Original post by Daisy02
Yes, humans (and all creatures) are built for sex. It is our purpose to reproduce.
It is difficult to abide by Christian morals regarding sex, especially as they are very vague. The Bible frequently mentions 'sexual immorality' but what that is is not specifically defined.
But if we're talking about sex before marriage, people are able abstain till marriage, but it's difficult. This is because nothing, not even religion, can overtake instinct, and it is our purpose to have sex/reproduce. We have no instinct of formal, structured wedding, because that's a man-made ceremony.
And we see priests and nuns of certain denominations who are celibate who are involved in sex scandals, or nuns being violent because their sexual urges are repressed. We will always revert back to the instinct that we, like other animals, are reproducing machines.

Thanks for your opinion. I like how you looked at it from not only the Bible but situations in society
Reply 9
James Brown would have made some valuable contributions to this.
Reply 10
I don't think this is educational debate...
Human beings are sex machines and are not able to conform to christian moral laws about sex.

Ahh, the age old morality debate.

Well, technically speaking, it's possible to argue that by having sex the act in itself is an attempt at pro-creation, which as far as I know, was allowed.

But are humans sex machines? Biologically speaking, yes we are. Sex is the best way to spread your genetics and thus ensure our species doesn't die out, and thus, is why people are preoccupied with it. Society has evolved the activity so it isn't a taboo to discuss or have anymore.

In Summary, society has changed, and thus the views discussed in the bible are outdated with modern societal views.

Why should I as an atheist care about some rules a religion has?
Sex machines? What?
Reply 14
Original post by sinfonietta
Not conforming to one religions rules doesn't mean people are sex maniacs who cannot help themselves. It just means that they disagree with it.

What are the reasons you think they would disagree?
Reply 15
Original post by DrawTheLine
Why should I as an atheist care about some rules a religion has?

Good point. Thank you for your contribution
It is rather regrettable that we are so interested in sex. It is a rather unsophisticated desire which connives to compel us to make decisions and engage with people our "sober" minds would not entertain. It is like a drug.
Original post by Notnek
I don't think this is educational debate...

Sometimes when I get drunk at a house party I try to educate others on how much of a sex machine I am. Clearly belongs here.
Of course, sex is the reason we exist. And so, if we exist, we must be programmed in a way that we find it hard to resist, otherwise we wouldn’t exist.

There are still people who do reject their instincts in favor of some imaginary belief system that they think is true.
Reply 19
Thanks guys for your views on the topic. I now know how i am going to approach this topic for a debate. Thanks again

Latest

Trending

Trending