Apllied for a place in clearing at MMU

Watch this thread
MIRIN322
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I applied for a clearing place on computing foundation course is it too late??
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
If they're still advertising spaces, it's not too late.

Have you spoken to someone over the phone? What did they say?
MIRIN322
Rep:
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
If they're still advertising spaces, it's not too late.

Have you spoken to someone over the phone? What did they say?
yes i have spoken to them i originally applied for computer networks, however i have not got a c in maths. They also declined me for clearing seems i cant get any course without a c in maths.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Adoring Fan)
yes i have spoken to them i originally applied for computer networks, however i have not got a c in maths. They also declined me for clearing seems i cant get any course without a c in maths.
Not having a C in maths will be a real barrier especially in computing. Unfortunately, I can see why they'd reject you in this situation.

Are you able to take a year out and redo your Maths GCSE?
MIRIN322
Rep:
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Not having a C in maths will be a real barrier especially in computing. Unfortunately, I can see why they'd reject you in this situation.

Are you able to take a year out and redo your Maths GCSE?
I am able to retake my maths GCSE at a collage. However i am worried that i still may not get onto the course computer networks next year, as I came out with the grade MMM exteded diploma. The required grade is a DMM. So im wondering how big a factor this is and is it worth bothering applying next year even if i have passed my maths GCSE.

Thanks.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I am able to retake my maths GCSE at a collage. However i am worried that i still may not get onto the course computer networks next year, as I came out with the grade MMM exteded diploma. The required grade is a DMM. So im wondering how big a factor this is and is it worth bothering applying next year even if i have passed my maths GCSE.

Thanks.
Not having a Maths GCSE is likely to be much more of a barrier than dropping a grade in your BTEC. With those BTEC grades, even if you can't get a place at one particular uni. The lack of a Maths GCSE will be a major barrier for nearly all universities.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

Thanks.
To be considered for Year 1 of our Computer Network and Technology we usually look for DMM from a BTEC Extended Diploma. It is unlikely you will be considered with MMM.

You may therefore want to consider one of our Foundation Years. Unfortunately we do not offer a Foundation Year in Computer Networks, however we do offer them in similar subjects such as Computer Science, and Computer Forensic and Security. With MMM in a BTEC Extended Diploma you would be eligible to apply for a Foundation Year, providing you meet the GCSE requirements.

I hope this helps.

Rebecca
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (40)
28.99%
Take a gap year (22)
15.94%
Resit my exams (37)
26.81%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (18)
13.04%
I don't know yet (15)
10.87%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.35%

Watched Threads