The Student Room Group

an inspector calls

I GOT MOCK TOMORROW PLEASEEE SOMEONE
hii
can someone tell me what language techniques are used in these quotes or tell me what can i say about language pleasee i beg you👏🏻👏🏻

I KNOW ITS ALOT BUT I REALLY REALLY NEED HELP IN THESE TO ANALYSE LANGUAGE IF ANY OF THOSE QUOTES DOESNT HAVE LANGUAGE OR
SOMETHING PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO SUCH AS ANALYSE ANY ADJECTIVE OR NOUN ETCC PLEASEE AND GIVE MEE TIPS
“community and that all nonsense”
language-

“i cant accect any responsibility”
language-

“its my duty to keep labour cost down”
language-

“working togther for lower costs and higher costs”
language-

“mr birling have responsibilities as well as privileges”
language-

“i accept no blame for it
language-

“when you’re married you’ll realize that
language-

“confess in public his responsibility”
language-

“cant be changed”
language-

“didnt blame me at all”
language-

i am sorry sheila”
language-

“why should i have known her?”
language-

“you’re not the kind of father”
language-

“my child-your grandchild”
language-

“you killed them both”
language-

“i didnt even remember”
langauge-

we killed her”
language-

“i’l nevr do it again to any body”
language-

“nothing to be sorry”
language-

“good if sometimes we tried to put ourselves”
language-

“fire and blood anguish”
language
Original post by NeedHelpHelpNeed
Ah, "cant be changed", my favourite quote from the book

maybe you have idea so help mee pleasee naa
If you want my advice, don't limit yourself to such short quotes. Sometimes/most of the time short quotes will be good, such as "fire and blood and anguish" (you forgot the second 'and' - you could argue this repetition carries the momentum of this vehement phrase, also creating a list-like effect of the suffering). Here you could easily analyse this tricolon, with its hellish connotations, especially provocative to a post-world war(s) audience... These words are quite strong and so should be easier for you to be able to talk about (fire, blood, anguish). I gave you the name of a device (tricolon), a brief analysis (it has hellish connotations), and it's impact on the audience & some context of the play. You should go into these things in more detail and explain a bit more (e.g. on the context part).

An example of a quote better when made longer is "You're not the kind of father a chap could go to when he's in trouble." Contrast of colloquial 'chap' vs formal 'father' emphasises their clash of personalities and how they regard themselves. Eric talks about himself in the third person here ("a chap", "he's"), suggesting his embarrassment at his actions or his unwillingness to (completely) take responsibility for his mistakes, or unwillingness to confront his father.

So if you are ever stuck on a quote, consider learning a bit more of it to help. For that "community and all that nonsense" quote you have, you could have said Mr Birling feared being "all mixed up together like bees in a hive - community and all that nonsense". There is an easy simile to analyse... think about bees and how they all work as equals for their hive (society)! Does Mr Birling want this?

Good luck

thankss alot i got the idea one more question imagine there one quote which i havent got any idea how to analsaye language so what do do i mean point on adjective or nounss???
Well ideally in an exam you can either use your own quotes from memory, or choose the good quotes in whatever passage they give you (depending on your exam board). If you do have to analyse a quote which you have no idea about, you could talk about an adjective or noun and if it has a deeper meaning or if you can infer something less obvious from it. Or you don't always have to talk about language, as you can use a quote and just talk about context around it. I don't really know how to help you other than make a list of all the main quotes (most of which you already have down) and analyse it beforehand if you can't do it in exams. Ask teachers for help on analysis. If worst comes to worst, just waffle your way around a quote using flowery language and so you seem smart - like a 10% chance of tricking the examiner lol. But don't waste too much time waffling.

Sorry I cant be of more help

its ok it was enough for me the tipss 🤣
it's more about what these quotes say about the characters.
eg. "i can't accept any responsibility" birling believes that he genuinely has no part in eva's death, thus he doesn't see it as right to accept responsibility. "won't" might've suggested that he was a bit more selfish bc he's choosing to not accept responsibility but you could say he has the typical mentality of a capitalist at this point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending