The Student Room Group

Aeronautical engineering epq ideas

I am doing an epq and i would like to do it in aerospace / aeronautical engineering and i thought whether i could do something about the missing flight mh370 or something about technology in planes affecting crashes.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by The_Governor
I am doing an epq and i would like to do it in aerospace / aeronautical engineering and i thought whether i could do something about the missing flight mh370 or something about technology in planes affecting crashes.

Might be quite difficult to get the data. You might pick one incident and compare it with training etc. For example, the Air France plane that crashed in the south atlantic (on its way out of Brasilia or Rio?) crashed because of pitot tube icing, which deceived the pilots into thinking they were going slower/faster (can't remember the exact details) that they were, and they effectively flew the aircraft into the ocean. Pitot tube icing and it's effect on airspeed indicators and the illusion it can give pilots about speed has been known and understood since about 1915 and is taught in the first few lessons of any flying course. Did they forget because they were of a generation where it was all about technology, and instruments 'always told the truth'?
Could i write about flight mh370 for my epq
or should i do how technology has shaped the airline industry
I want to base my epq on arrospace engineering too but I don't know how i would gather primary data... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest