Sitsey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've sent off my UCAS application for 2019, I hope to study Computer Science. I'm doing a Level 3 extended diploma and they want DMM minimum, however, I'm on track for a D*D*D*. Assuming my personal statement is good and my grades exceed what they are asking, should I worry about them not giving me an offer? Sorry for sounding stupid, I don't know how it works and whether there are limited places etc. I don't wish to name the Uni as people tend to have snobbery matches and it won't be relevant to the question
ZsDeividas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sitsey)
I've sent off my UCAS application for 2019, I hope to study Computer Science. I'm doing a Level 3 extended diploma and they want DMM minimum, however, I'm on track for a D*D*D*. Assuming my personal statement is good and my grades exceed what they are asking, should I worry about them not giving me an offer? Sorry for sounding stupid, I don't know how it works and whether there are limited places etc. I don't wish to name the Uni as people tend to have snobbery matches and it won't be relevant to the question
Well the uni is relevant, some unis require you to get certain grades in GCSEs too. Anyways, if the requirement says that then it won’t be lying to you haha. They will prioritise people who did A-levels though because it’s more test wise which is like uni whereas a diploma is all coursework. Computer science is a popular course, you will most likely be accepted, good luck
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That many grades higher you'll easily get an offer. Surely you could apply at better unis more aligned to your predicted grades?
Sitsey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by yt7777)
That many grades higher you'll easily get an offer. Surely you could apply at better unis more aligned to your predicted grades?
You're right, I can aim higher, however, I have to be responsible for my choices and I've decided that financially it works out much better for me to go to this uni as it allows me to stay at home and not waste my maintenance loan on renting a cramped room for 3 years. I'm not somebody who cares about the social status of a uni, I just want to get my education and get on with life. Plus, my college has said it doesn't matter which uni you go to, maybe it did 20 years ago but not now, the head of our college went to the same uni and he's earning nearly six figures.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're right, I can aim higher, however, I have to be responsible for my choices and I've decided that financially it works out much better for me to go to this uni as it allows me to stay at home and not waste my maintenance loan on renting a cramped room for 3 years. I'm not somebody who cares about the social status of a uni, I just want to get my education and get on with life. Plus, my college has said it doesn't matter which uni you go to, maybe it did 20 years ago but not now, the head of our college went to the same uni and he's earning nearly six figures.
You also get much less maintenance loan if living at home, it balances the cost of living out.

Be careful though, there are so many awful 'computer science' degrees out there, that really shouldn't be classed as computer science. If you can go to better i'd highly recommend it because the difference will be huge and this is especially true for computing and CS based courses.

You're right, it doesn't matter for employers (which infuriates me because it should) but if you actually care about what you're studying and the level you want to be studying at then you'll get the most out of going to a better university.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Plus, my college has said it doesn't matter which uni you go to, maybe it did 20 years ago but not now, the head of our college went to the same uni and he's earning nearly six figures.
You need to ensure that you do a good course that stretches you. Whilst circumstances can change things, IMO, moving away for universities is part of becoming an independent adult.

Around where I live (Silicon Valley), computing starting salaries are 6 figures.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.03%
No (234)
75.97%

Watched Threads