The Student Room Group

Should The Man pay for the first date ?

I believe the man must pay for everything on a first date and he should not ask a woman to pay half because that is not very gentlemanly.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yeah thats true
1950 is calling. It wants its mentality back.
Maybe in the 1930s. Or if he wants to. But I don't personally agree with this - I think the cost should be split unless otherwise said.
Reply 4
haha women (in the USA at least) DEMANDED equal rights in the boardroom, equal rights in the bedroom, but soooooo handy they NEVER fought for equal rights when it comes to dating....gee I wonder why

Basically it's best to go dutch on a first date - and all dates... in a case where one person makes a whole lot more than the other, they could pick up the tab in full once in a while to make it easier for the poorer person to go out and also in cases where it's tough to split the bill I think they should take turns approximately every other time that happens.
Reply 5
Original post by Judge Jules
I believe the man must pay for everything on a first date and he should not ask a woman to pay half because that is not very gentlemanly.

I'm equal to any man I ever dated and I wanted them to know that from the first date.

To bad you don't think you are equal to a man and he must pay why? lol
Reply 6
Original post by Hateocracy
it is hilarious how feminists want equality and "fAiR tReAtMeNT" but when it comes to who pays on the date yeah just dump it on the guy to pay it all

what a joke

Ya I've been talking about this for years - my girl friends hate it when I bring this up - they want to make the man foot the bill because you know 'he's the man' - so for a year or two or 5 they date and he pays - and suddenly the moment they say 'i do' they are now equals - such a joke lol

but men really cant fight for women to have equal rights in this because they will appear cheap.. and women want them to believe they will look that way... it's sooooooo convienent. I have known a number of women who make considerably more than the man they are dating and still he has to pay cause you know he's a man - yet that same women is always shouting if a female gets paid less than a man... because you know in THAT case they are equals. God how we still get away with this is beyond me.

Following that logic, gay men would split the bill and a lesbian couple would leg it down the street leaving the bill unpaid.
Reply 8

You know you may be right - it's not very gentlemanly to treat a female like an equal when it comes to dating... and of course men should make more than women cause you know lil women can't very well expect to pay their own way when they are dating... so men should make more since they have to be the ones to pay for the lil women who need the man to pay for them.

So out of curiosity are you gonna expect him to treat you like an equal when you get married? or are you still going to 'submit to the big man cause you are just a lil women who can't even pay her own way during the dating process' lol
Reply 9
Original post by Sulfolobus
Following that logic, gay men would split the bill and a lesbian couple would leg it down the street leaving the bill unpaid.

Well the lesbians couldn't possibly pay the bill cause you know they are female and of course females can't be expected to split the bill on a first date cause well... that's just not fair not fair at all - we got boobies we shouldn't have to pay....
Pay for what you bought or to make it easier just split the bill
Bollox. This is 2018, where equality is strived for. I mean, I'll offer to pay, but if she says yes without hesitation that's a huge red flag for me. I don't like to set precedents, and her doing that just says to me that she's not independent and I'll end up paying for everything. Ideally, I'd offer to pay, she'd say no, then I'll be like "Are you sure? Alright then, if you insist, let's split" and I'd round my half up just for simplicity and politeness, so like if the combined bill was £37 I'd pay £20.
Well I think there should be a law that says the man must always pay for the first date at least and If they paid for all the dates that's even better.
We should go back to the 1950's when it comes to dating only.
The man is desperate to get a girlfriend so he should be happy to pay.
Your not going to impress a real woman by asking her to pay for her own dinner or split the bill.
No. Pay for what you eat for but would be nice if he paid for me☺️ And maybe next time I’ll pay for him
Is no-one here able to tell that OP is trolling, almost to a sarcastic level?
If he chooses the restaurant and it's fancy then yes. You can't take someone somewhere they can't afford (or don't want to spend that much at) then spring a £100 bill on them. Some restaurants don't even show you the prices so you won't know until it's too late.
The person who has more should pay, or you could split the cost. OR take turns! :smile:
Well I think there should be a law that says the man must always pay for the first date at least and If they paid for all the dates that's even better.
We should go back to the 1950's when it comes to dating only.
The man is desperate to get a girlfriend so he should be happy to pay.
Your not going to impress a real woman by asking her to pay for her own dinner or split the bill.

yeah..... i feel the same way about beating women, so that when she thinks of something stupid like this i can smack it outta her.

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
No I'm not trolling.
I've only ever paid once on a date but never again.
Although this was years ago but my blind date wanted to go to a Mexican restaurant but I said no because I did not have much money but he insisted so he ordered a starter of the tortilla chips and cheese but I didn't touch it or order anything at all. I clearly wasn't happy being there so he did not order anything else but when he finished eating he had the cheek to ask me to pay half. I refused then the waiter came over so I just paid so as not to cause a fuss. I never went out with him again.
If a man wants to impress a woman he should go where ever she asks to go on a date as long as it's not an expensive restaurant.
I would have had more fun at a buffet restaurant. But because of that I never pay anymore.
I actually wanted to go to a cinema which i was going to pay for myself if he did not offer to but he did not want to go.
Reply 19
No I'm not trolling.
I've only ever paid once on a date but never again.
Although this was years ago but my blind date wanted to go to a Mexican restaurant but I said no because I did not have much money but he insisted so he ordered a starter of the tortilla chips and cheese but I didn't touch it or order anything at all. I clearly wasn't happy being there so he did not order anything else but when he finished eating he had the cheek to ask me to pay half. I refused then the waiter came over so I just paid so as not to cause a fuss. I never went out with him again.
If a man wants to impress a woman he should go where ever she asks to go on a date as long as it's not an expensive restaurant.
I would have had more fun at a buffet restaurant. But because of that I never pay anymore.
I actually wanted to go to a cinema which i was going to pay for myself if he did not offer to but he did not want to go.

lmao, if you got robbed by one black dude would you think their all criminals. Why are you trying to act like one man represents all of men. You're definitely trolling or your just an everyday th*t.

Quick Reply

Latest