Are Moped gangs just a problem in London or other cities too?

Watch
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Most of the time you hear about Moped gangs, moped mugging, bike jacking etc it’s nearly always in London. Do other cities such as Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow etc have problems with these gangs too?
If not, then why are they just a problem in London?

Edit: Admin please can you move this to “news and current affairs” thanks.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think there's been some issues in Manchester, but for most - no.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Imagines them all blasting out Jasper Carrot on ghetto blasters.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bristol has a major problem with them too, so I've heard. And you'll get pockets of crime happening elsewhere, my own motorbike got stolen (in Brighton) not long ago by some joyriding scrubs. :sigh: A lot of these gangs move about a lot as well.

You just hear about London crimes more because, well, it's London. Some journalists don't seem to even consider the existence of anything beyond the M25.
username3895014
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don’t think it’s much of a problem in West Yorkshire
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OMG stop calling scooters and motorbikes, mopeds!

A fit man could easily run up to moped because they only go up to 28mph.
Johnny English
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think the answer to the question is all to do with lifestyle , culture , and violent crime is woven into that part of society which sees these vehicles as an ideal way to make even more money . I suppose it's a gang culture type of offence that has now become commonplace . Further north there isn't the same amount of gangs and they tend to be spaced out further apart.
I'd like to be more specific and quote cultural differences etc but the thought police would frown severely down on this so I won't . It's a Shame really because I've been on the front line for longer than those adjudicating have been alive ....
This has been around for more than a decade and will increase over the coming years . There is also a greater number of live police investigations in terrorism offences and once again this is predominantly one particular group of people but again to say any more would be very naughty of me .
Summarising ....You either have to vastly increase police resources or stop the naughty ones from entering the country .
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
These things are nothing new. They've been absolutely rife on the continent for decades - in Italy there's even a word for them scippatori- meaning "scooter bandits".

As for this country - it's more common in London mainly because there are more scooters to be stolen. Add to that the population density and also varying police tactics.
Johnny English
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I used to be centre left but now I'm hard right .
Bring on Brexit and let's regain our democracy . Stop mass immigration too .
Power to the people .
Go Boris ......
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (107)
13.53%
I'm not sure (36)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (242)
30.59%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.4%
I'm not a current university student (387)
48.93%

Watched Threads