The Student Room Group

Am I working illegally?

I have posted lots about my new job recently haha, but this one is quite serious and I am abit worried, I have found out that my manager is currently on a disqualification due to something he has done, if I read the section and felony properly, it said that he can't be a director untill this disqualification is up (Which is next year as it said the end date was somewhere in 2019) but I am not sure whether he is now classed as manager or director, like since it said he can't be a director, is he still commenting a crime being the manager? Since I cant post the link directly, someone please look up the following law Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986 (Section 2): Disqualification on conviction of indictable offence and let me know, I should point out that the company on the government website supposedly dissolved when his disqualification started, just doesnt seem right to me.
Mind your own biz, I suggest.

If you wanna ignore my sage advice, check out Companies House and see if he's listed as an active director. I suggest you still mind your own biz if he he is.

Employee of company =/= director.
Reply 2
Original post by Notoriety
Mind your own biz, I suggest.

If you wanna ignore my sage advice, check out Companies House and see if he's listed as an active director. I suggest you still mind your own biz if he he is.

Employee of company =/= director.

That's how I found out haha, it just says that the company is dissolved.
Reply 3
Sell your story to a newspaper, they can bust him.
Original post by cbaforcba
That's how I found out haha, it just says that the company is dissolved.

It really isn't a big deal and is very common with small businesses.

I am sure it is very exciting seeing it for the first time, but it's nothing to write home about.

The criminal liability is his alone, if he continues to act as a "de facto" director. Nothing for you to worry about or really concern yourself with.
Reply 5
Original post by ThomH97
Sell your story to a newspaper, they can bust him.

That's the thing, I just don't know if what he's doing illegal.
Reply 6
Original post by Notoriety
It really isn't a big deal and is very common with small businesses.

I am sure it is very exciting seeing it for the first time, but it's nothing to write home about.

The criminal liability is his alone, if he continues to act as a "de facto" director. Nothing for you to worry about or really concern yourself with.

Fair enough, I have to be honest, I have had certain thoughts about thr place being dodgy and I am still not 100% sure, but its better to be safe than sorry.
Original post by cbaforcba
I have posted lots about my new job recently haha, but this one is quite serious and I am abit worried, I have found out that my manager is currently on a disqualification due to something he has done, if I read the section and felony properly, it said that he can't be a director untill this disqualification is up (Which is next year as it said the end date was somewhere in 2019) but I am not sure whether he is now classed as manager or director, like since it said he can't be a director, is he still commenting a crime being the manager? Since I cant post the link directly, someone please look up the following law Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986 (Section 2): Disqualification on conviction of indictable offence and let me know, I should point out that the company on the government website supposedly dissolved when his disqualification started, just doesnt seem right to me.

Being Director and being a Manager are quite different and there are two different forms of being a Director. If your Company goes bankrupt (or is dissolved for other, often criminal reasons), and you are the legal owner of that Company ie the Director, you spend a period of time not being allowed to be the Director/owner of any other companies (or run a charity, or hold various other technical positions that put you in charge of other people's money).

But that is absolutely nothing to do with being a manager or even holding the job title Director. I have the job title Director, but it's just a 'rank' and I'm not a legal director of the organisation I work for. So long as your manager isn't the legal Director of the company while being disqualified, all is fine. Even if he was, its a personal problem for him and doesn't affect your employment status or legality.
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
Being Director and being a Manager are quite different and there are two different forms of being a Director. If your Company goes bankrupt (or is dissolved for other, often criminal reasons), and you are the legal owner of that Company ie the Director, you spend a period of time not being allowed to be the Director/owner of any other companies (or run a charity, or hold various other technical positions that put you in charge of other people's money).

But that is absolutely nothing to do with being a manager or even holding the job title Director. I have the job title Director, but it's just a 'rank' and I'm not a legal director of the organisation I work for. So long as your manager isn't the legal Director of the company while being disqualified, all is fine. Even if he was, its a personal problem for him and doesn't affect your employment status or legality.

Ok thank you, I understand it abit more now, I just wasn't sure if he is breaking the law in doing so and for all I know, the company I am working for may no longer actually exist, however I will just leave it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending