Are you right wing or left wing?

Watch
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Randyyy)
Regardless of the political landscape I'm gonna have to think about all the issues myself and form personal opinions on matters as opposed to clinging onto a politician and just going along with whatever they say simply because they said it. I don't understand why you made the initial comment in the first place.

As for Shapiro, he litterally called himself a 'radical individualist'
Because "the right", "the left", etc are historically contingent terms. It used to be the case that the Royalists were on the right and what we nowadays call classical liberals or in the US/UK, libertarians, were on the left.

When you say I'm on the right in 2018, you're referring to a political reality that is at odds with the ideas you describe.
Randyyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
Because "the right", "the left", etc are historically contingent terms. It used to be the case that the Royalists were on the right and what we nowadays call classical liberals or in the US/UK, libertarians, were on the left.

When you say I'm on the right in 2018, you're referring to a political reality that is at odds with the ideas you describe.
I dont think i ever said i was on the right
Inlexed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by math42)
Attachment 774654

Since this test is biased towards the left, maybe centre-left lol. I guess I see myself as a traditional leftist of sorts. I'm left-wing on most issues but I don't really identify with the modern mainstream left.
Use the Politiscales test, it gives an accurate representation of where you stand on all areas of politics.
elliebelly33
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
right wing
Lwajura
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do not have wings am not a bird
boulderingislife
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Inlexed)
I'm right wing to a certain extent, what are you?
*Disclaimer* just because you are 'right wing' or 'left wing' It doesn't determine what your opinions are. (However it does imply certain views.)
I am very left wing to the extent i believe in the communist ideology.
boulderingislife
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Nice strawman

in any case no you’re wrong about everything. The modern new right (eg Michael Gove, George Bush) is not the old right, which came first. In the US the birth place of the new right we had groups lead by James Buckley supplant the traditional right wing groups such as as the John Birch society, which became ‘paleoconservatives’ ’ which is the movement essentially behind Trump. These people including Pat Buchanan, Russel Kirk etc and are part of a rich tradition supplanted by essentially neocons.

The new right that replaced them got rid of their popular ideas about limited immigration, restraints on business, non intervention and respect for the traditional order and replaced it with unhinged capitalism, unchecked migration, endless foreign wars and giving way to the left on every social issue.

Tim Stanley did a radio piece on it here, which was prettty good actually:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5PA_mKWxQHE
Rep for straw man comment! Love that phrase!
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have both wings which means I can fly around.
Wheeeeeeee
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am a man of the moderate right or more accurately i am a mildly socially conservative nationalist and fiscally conservative Orange Booker.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (77)
21.63%
No (279)
78.37%

Watched Threads