Ihatemylandlord
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
So, I am living in a private accommodation (HMO) and need help. My landlord has provided us with the BARE MINIMUM he can; bed, wardrobe and desk. The kitchen also follows this minimalistic theme as we haven't been provided with communal bins for the area, enough chairs to sit all tenants at the dinner table (we are a close knit group who enjoys each others company) and wifi that doesn't reach all areas of the flat including bedrooms. Are we entitled to these things and have the right to dispute this with the landlord? Thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Ihatemylandlord)
So, I am living in a private accommodation (HMO) and need help. My landlord has provided us with the BARE MINIMUM he can; bed, wardrobe and desk. The kitchen also follows this minimalistic theme as we haven't been provided with communal bins for the area, enough chairs to sit all tenants at the dinner table (we are a close knit group who enjoys each others company) and wifi that doesn't reach all areas of the flat including bedrooms. Are we entitled to these things and have the right to dispute this with the landlord? Thanks
Read your tenancy agreement. He has to provide what it states in the agreement.

Surely you knew what was provided when you inspected the place and then signed the contract?

Are there things he promised which he isnt providing?

You can ask him about improving the wi fi or you can arrange your own or get a booster.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
There's no specific rights you get as a student tenant beyond what's agreed upon in the tenancy agreement.
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Seriously? Stop whinging. You signed an agreement which said what you’d get. Don’t like it? Shouldn’t have signed. You want another chair? Go buy one. There’s no such thing as ‘student rights’. Go speak to the landlord.
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Many of the things like internal bins have to be provided by yourself. The only real thing you can complain about is the Wi-Fi but only if it is written in your contract. Then they must get the provider out to check the signal strength.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The user name 'Ihatemylandlord' is a bit of a giveaway about how this post would pan out...

I understand you might be new to renting properties etc, so I"m not going to be too harsh on you. You don't have a 'right' for things like chairs, wifi and bins and are not entitled to them unless they are specifically listed in the tenancy agreement (which they won't be). These are provided as a favour by the landlord. An HMO is, by its nature, not a pied-à-terre in Belgravia: it's cheap and cheerful and you get what you pay for.
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You can ask the landlord to look at improving the WiFi, but other than that you're not entitled to anything other than what was advertised and that detailed in your rental agreement.

I would suggest that you should all put in a fiver and buy a WiFi extender and that you purchase additional bins from a local supermarket.
JoshDawg
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

If the landlord changes nothing and it isn't in the tenancy agreement then I'm afraid no. You can however see this through and leave a bad review of the spot, listing all the problems. Any issues with internet will be damaging in this day and age.
TheTroll73
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
nah man wifi sucks

you gotta use fiber optic instead (or at least Ethernet)

they are faster than wifi (wifi being unhealthy anyways)
TheTroll73
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
lul that username tho

we know why you created a TSR account, then :P
Zamzam Water
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by reality check)
the user name 'ihatemylandlord' is a bit of a giveaway about how this post would pan out...

I understand you might be new to renting properties etc, so i"m not going to be too harsh on you. You don't have a 'right' for things like chairs, wifi and bins and are not entitled to them unless they are specifically listed in the tenancy agreement (which they won't be). These are provided as a favour by the landlord. An hmo is, by its nature, not a pied-à-terre in belgravia: It's cheap and cheerful and you get what you pay for.
heyyy youre back brooo where did you gooo
iElvendork
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
To be advertised as a student property all he has to provide is a bed, wardrobe, desk and chair in each room
Everything else is extra
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
What's on the inventory and is it all there? What was there when you viewed the property? What is in your contract about wi-fi?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sounds pretty standard tbh. My student house didn't come with any bins, I took the one I had in halls for my room and we went to the supermarket and bought one for our uni house. In terms of wifi, that wasn't provided at all, we had to sort that out. And re chairs, I think we had enough chairs but we ate on the sofa. If the number of chairs was that much of an issue you should have checked when you looked at the house.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Unless something you thought was there on viewing had been removed I can't see any reason to complain. Even then you'd have no real rights. Just chip in and find some cheap chairs on gum tree.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Oh for heavens sake stop moaning. Go onto Freecycle and get some extra chairs. You should ask for a bin as rubbish encourages rodents and flies.

Sometimes WiFi just doesn't reach all areas - in my flat the end room doesn't get it because of the think walls. You can get boosters which work well though.

ANd FYO - this is nothing to do with student rights - more tenant rights and you should read your tenancy agreement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?