EPQ help!! Structure and general advice..

Watch
bbymeg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, throughout year 12 we were encouraged to take the EPQ. Its now year 13 and we just got told the deadline is Christmas this year.
Our teacher gave us no lessons and no insight on how to begin the essay and I only have a question, we didn't get told to do any research over the summer so have no idea what to do..
My question is:
'Corrupt Societal views on mental health through English
Literature have substantially changed from the periods of 1600 to our modern day.
With a particular insight to 1600 literature, examine this view in comparison to modern day literature.'
Could anyone help me out with structure and where to start with research, its such a big task and have no idea how to begin?
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bbymeig)
So, throughout year 12 we were encouraged to take the EPQ. Its now year 13 and we just got told the deadline is Christmas this year.
Our teacher gave us no lessons and no insight on how to begin the essay and I only have a question, we didn't get told to do any research over the summer so have no idea what to do..
My question is:
'Corrupt Societal views on mental health through English
Literature have substantially changed from the periods of 1600 to our modern day.
With a particular insight to 1600 literature, examine this view in comparison to modern day literature.'
Could anyone help me out with structure and where to start with research, its such a big task and have no idea how to begin?
I would suggest a structure like this:

- Introduction - introduce the project and what you intend to find out
- More detailed overview - set the scene and explain the key components of your project (keep in mind that whoever marks your EPQ will not necessarily have any knowledge of your topic, so explain the technicalities early on)
- Main body of the essay - the bulk of your essay should address and explore your title. The best projects have an element of argument and comparison, so being able to argue for/against an issue or compare viewpoints etc is important
- Conclusion - a brief review of key findings and a conclusion based on what you've discussed in the main essay
- Bibliography - as part of your research you'll be expected to keep a bibliography of the references you use, for images as well as quotes.

I imagine you'll be covering some specific pieces of literature in your essay? I'd suggest starting your research by deciding firstly on which bits of literature you'll discuss, then look into more detail on the parts you could analyse further. I recommend writing your essay whilst you research, not only will this speed up the process but you will also notice earlier on whether you may be running out of material/have too much and be able to adjust your title accordingly.

Remember that you'll need to complete a Log Book (also called the Production Log) throughout your project. If you're doing your project with AQA there are templates available to fill in online, so you won't have to create one from scratch. The log is what most of the project marks are assigned to, so make sure to fill in the log thoroughly. Also refer to the mark scheme for your exam board to ensure you're doing what's expected of you and your project.

I might also suggest perhaps shortening your title a bit, maybe something like "To what extent have societal views on mental health expressed in literature changed from 1600 compared to the modern day?" (apologies if I've misinterpreted your title!)

I'm happy to give you a more detailed explanation if what I've said hasn't made sense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (450)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (424)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise