The Student Room Group

URGENT Failed first year Uni. What can I do? What are my options

Scroll to see replies

I've been in this situation in my first year at university - I transferred to another uni to begin a similar course and found myself so much happier. Unis that have spaces will have a little bit of wiggle room for the first couple of weeks as students move around courses internally so it could be worth investigating there.

You can wait it out to see the outcome of the appeal, or you can see what your options are according to your course rules. I could have been allowed to continue with the need to make up for the missing module in my second year. I would have also been allowed to complete a resit not in attendance - essentially just sitting my examinations and taking a gap year. You won't be the first person to be in this situation, and from a university point of view, they want you paying them tuition fees much more than they want an empty seat.

Most importantly; do not freak out. Don't make any fast decisions and don't think that this is catastrophic. Many of us have been in similar situations for various reasons and there's always a route through anything that happens. It took my 6 years to complete my degree but it was definitely worth it.
Original post by Doonesbury
They haven't "thrown you under a bus". You failed the module and the resit and now they are reviewing your appeal.

It is what it is:

* they might accept your appeal and progress you
* or they might allow you to resit the year
* meanwhile you are looking for places in clearing
* if there's nothing left at other universities this year you reapply next year in a gap year
* if you have a gap year start looking *now* for potential jobs to strengthen your CV.

There's no wrong path through life, just different routes... Treat this as an opportunity not a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didnt want to get to the bus comment.
Reply 22
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I've been in this situation in my first year at university - I transferred to another uni to begin a similar course and found myself so much happier. Unis that have spaces will have a little bit of wiggle room for the first couple of weeks as students move around courses internally so it could be worth investigating there.

You can wait it out to see the outcome of the appeal, or you can see what your options are according to your course rules. I could have been allowed to continue with the need to make up for the missing module in my second year. I would have also been allowed to complete a resit not in attendance - essentially just sitting my examinations and taking a gap year. You won't be the first person to be in this situation, and from a university point of view, they want you paying them tuition fees much more than they want an empty seat.

Most importantly; do not freak out. Don't make any fast decisions and don't think that this is catastrophic. Many of us have been in similar situations for various reasons and there's always a route through anything that happens. It took my 6 years to complete my degree but it was definitely worth it.

:yy:
Original post by Doonesbury
Can you retake the entire year? If you did well in the other modules I'm surprised they haven't given you a compensated pass.

Have you spoken to the SU?

compensated passes generally don't apply to core modules (just been in this situation myself, have to switch to straight CS now because of 1% :/)

OP you usually are allowed to retake the module with/without attendance even after failing the resit
Reply 24
Original post by SamKar12
If I did take a gap year, do you know if that would affect my future prospects and will unis see that as a bad thing?

If you're not working/have anything planned, it would affect your job prospects, yes.
Please keep us updated as I am in a similar situation. What was the result of your appeal?
Reply 26
Original post by Dan111222
Please keep us updated as I am in a similar situation. What was the result of your appeal?

My appeal date is 19th October...I spoke to the Head of undergraduate and he adviced me to attend lectures even though it's technically not allowed. So that's what I'm doing for now...sneaking around....But I find this situation to be so tough. As the appeal date is too far into the year that you won't have a chance of transferring if the appeal is not accepted. Have you submitted your appeal? Do you know what date they should reply by?
My appeal date is 19th October...I spoke to the Head of undergraduate and he adviced me to attend lectures even though it's technically not allowed. So that's what I'm doing for now...sneaking around....But I find this situation to be so tough. As the appeal date is too far into the year that you won't have a chance of transferring if the appeal is not accepted. Have you submitted your appeal? Do you know what date they should reply by?

Hi Sam. I sent my appeal requesting another resit attempt. They will reply by 15th october
Reply 28
Hi Sam. I sent my appeal requesting another resit attempt. They will reply by 15th october

hey so i got my appeal result and they are letting me continue (this didn't relieve me at all as i now have doubts about my ability to even do this course, so i'm still very worried)....but my friend got rejected. let me know what happens as you would not be alone with either outcome and i'm happy to help. just whilst you're waiting keep busy, try get a friend to help you keep up with the content.
Reply 29
I have studied my first year in Chemical Engineering at The University of Manchester, I did fail one module out of 12, I also failed the resit due to personal problems but couldn't apply for mitigating circumstances. The module was not compulsory last year but the rules have changed for this year. I have appealed, but it doesn't look likely that it will be upheld. My A levels are AABB in Biology, Maths, Chemistry

Hi, sorry I don't really have any advice as I'm a year 13 student. I hope everything goes well and you are able to progress on your course. I am planning on applying to Manchester for Chemical Engineering. Could you give any advice or tell me anything you think would be useful? Also, how is the university in general and the teaching, is the content interesting? Anything you reply would be much appreciated. Once again good luck!
Reply 30
Original post by Princepieman
compensated passes generally don't apply to core modules (just been in this situation myself, have to switch to straight CS now because of 1% :/)

OP you usually are allowed to retake the module with/without attendance even after failing the resit

in this case as of this year they have not allowed for this to happen, individuals are asked to appeal if there are appropriate grounds and then may be allowed to continue. im not sure what you meant by having to switch to CS, but if you're in a similar situation then please share some advice on what you had to do to overcome this problem. thank you.
Reply 31
Original post by ParadoxSocks

This was so helpful, thank you.I can't believe i didn't see this before.
Reply 32
hey so i got my appeal result and they are letting me continue (this didn't relieve me at all as i now have doubts about my ability to even do this course, so i'm still very worried).

That's great news. :yy:

And don't forget you only failed one module, and the appeal board must have been happy you'd be able to cope with Y2 otherwise they wouldn't have progressed you. Just keep on top of things a little better in Y2 and you will be absolutely fine.

Good luck!
hey so i got my appeal result and they are letting me continue (this didn't relieve me at all as i now have doubts about my ability to even do this course, so i'm still very worried)....but my friend got rejected. let me know what happens as you would not be alone with either outcome and i'm happy to help. just whilst you're waiting keep busy, try get a friend to help you keep up with the content.

Great man!!! So will you have to do the resit again or they let you pass without it?
Do you know why your friend's appeal got rejected? Thanks mate.
in this case as of this year they have not allowed for this to happen, individuals are asked to appeal if there are appropriate grounds and then may be allowed to continue. im not sure what you meant by having to switch to CS, but if you're in a similar situation then please share some advice on what you had to do to overcome this problem. thank you.

was on Maths&CS, failed a core maths module by 1%, switched to CS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Shamxz
Hi, sorry I don't really have any advice as I'm a year 13 student. I hope everything goes well and you are able to progress on your course. I am planning on applying to Manchester for Chemical Engineering. Could you give any advice or tell me anything you think would be useful? Also, how is the university in general and the teaching, is the content interesting? Anything you reply would be much appreciated. Once again good luck!

I can't fault the uni or the course, just know that it is mostly physics - so if you love physics then you'll be fine. It wasn't too difficult but I did have a lot of other responsibilities which caused me to fail and I don't like physics, now make sure you don't have many other commitments because uni needs your full attention(Especially this degree). You need to utilise all the resources especially workshops and always stay in touch with your personal tutor- try have connections within the school so I'd recommend talking to the head of undergraduate so that he remembers your name, he's someone you need on your side plus he's there to help you . Always keep up with tutorials and lectures, you MUST spend hours at home studying everyday. Soon as there is a problem, go talk to someone,don't put it off. Go to every office hour, try get in as many contact hours with your lecturers so that they can go over stuff. If you're struggling...make it known to your tutor so he can vouch for you and whenever you feel like you do an exam that has been affected due to personal circumstances apply for mitigating even if you think you may have done ok. Theres a lot more I have to say, but mostly, this degree needs all your effort, yes it's first year and everyone relaxes during first year but you can't do that with chemical engineering and they've changed so many rules this year- a lot more compulsory things that you NEED to pass. So you should take the pressure very seriously. Hope this helps...don't mean to scare you but just need you to take it seriously- this is your future.
Reply 36
Great man!!! So will you have to do the resit again or they let you pass without it?
Do you know why your friend's appeal got rejected? Thanks mate.

I don't have to resit, but obvs my gpa doesn't change however I can make up for it in the next year. Also he got rejected due to the grounds on which he was appealing which was going against the examiners and the lecturers teaching - which I personally thing would have offended them. Also he had a lack of evidence which is a big reason that most appeals get rejected. Hope this helped. Let me know if you need any more info about my experience.

Quick Reply

Latest