Cheapest first car to buy and insure for a 19 year old? Watch

dakofsta
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I have a budget of around £4000 for the car and insurance but want it to be as cheap as possible. I don't need any flashy car; just one that looks nice, is reliable, economical and won't be too pricey. The cheapest I could find was a Seat Ibiza (insurance was £1200, car was £800, so £2000 total). Anybody got any ideas?
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by dakofsta)
I have a budget of around £4000 for the car and insurance but want it to be as cheap as possible. I don't need any flashy car; just one that looks nice, is reliable, economical and won't be too pricey. The cheapest I could find was a Seat Ibiza (insurance was £1200, car was £800, so £2000 total). Anybody got any ideas?
There is not a one fits all answer, look around and run the comparisons yourself. Also, get a standard policy. Not telematics.
MikeyA
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
fiat bravo, Punto and Grande Punto
VW - massive selection
Ford - zetec (jokes)
Vauxhall Astra/ you can get some pre 2010 ones cheap if lucky
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
dakofsta
Rep:
?
(Original post by xDron3)
There is not a one fits all answer, look around and run the comparisons yourself. Also, get a standard policy. Not telematics.
Why not black box? The price difference with and without one makes me want one
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Why not black box? The price difference with and without one makes me want one
Because they're restrictive, unfair, unpredictable and make driving a living hell sometimes. Don't forget about BS charges and mileage monitoring. One company charges £50 when you go out past your curfew lol. They seem to actively punish good drivers for the hell of it.

I've only been on this forum for a month and I'm seeing loads of people complaining about cancellations and how awful their telematics policy is, including myself. A cancelled policy on your insurance will make next quotes 6k minimum.
TajwarC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Look up cars in insurance group 1
lawlietxtt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by xDron3)
For this question there kinda is an objective answer. Albeit I don't know it either
dakofsta
Rep:
?
(Original post by TajwarC)
I did but they're all new cars which I can't afford as UK's cheapest new car is around 6k
TajwarC
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I did but they're all new cars which I can't afford as UK's cheapest new car is around 6k
Go through groups 2 and up then, look up an older model on autotrader (as the groups apply between a range of years), then get quotes. It depends on so many different factors and there's no set range of cars that are always cheap, as people have mentioned above. Some cars which might seem expensive to insure may actually be cheaper foryou personally. So your best bet is to just go with trial and error

For example for me to get insured on a 2007 Mk5 Golf GTi it costs up to 2.5k but on a 2013 Audi S3 it costs less. Why this is the case, I don't know
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
For example for me to get insured on a 2007 Mk5 Golf GTi it costs up to 2.5k but on a 2013 Audi S3 it costs less. Why this is the case, I don't know
Safety features most likely.

A Golf GTD Mk.7 costs less to insure than me on a Fiat 500, as it has better safety features. There's also more factors, but that seems to be the biggest factor. (no I don't/didn't have a fiat 500, I was bored one day and did some quotes on both cars)
TajwarC
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Safety features most likely.

A Golf GTD Mk.7 costs less to insure than me on a Fiat 500, as it has better safety features. There's also more factors, but that seems to be the biggest factor. (no I don't/didn't have a fiat 500, I was bored one day and did some quotes on both cars)
Ah right that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the response
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by lawlietxtt)
For this question there kinda is an objective answer. Albeit I don't know it either
No there isn't.
Not always the best way forward.
lawlietxtt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
No there isn't.

Not always the best way forward.
I see someone isn't aware of how car insurance works. It's an objective fact that there's a certain car and insurance company that will give you the cheapest possible deal. The exact price of the deal will vary depending on the person taking it. But it'll still be cheaper than any other option they can choose
IDOZ
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Peel P50
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by lawlietxtt)
I see someone isn't aware of how car insurance works. It's an objective fact that there's a certain car and insurance company that will give you the cheapest possible deal. The exact price of the deal will vary depending on the person taking it. But it'll still be cheaper than any other option they can choose
No... there isn't a single car that's the cheapest for EVERY 19 year old...
cwai90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Insurance companies seem to like cars which have been owned by you/your relatives for a number of years. (Don't ask me how it is relevant - but it seems to make a difference). My insurance for a VW Passat 2.0 tdi (insurance group 21) was £1370, vehicle had been owned for 5 years. If the purchase date was recent then the price would be over £1800
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You are on the right track there. The right £800 Seat would be a great solution.
Keep your eyes open for deals on other makes and models.
Best deals tend to be a relative passing on their old, cared for car.
You can buy cars for like £100 at auction. They'd be the sort of thing to run till they need tyres or a repair and then send to the scrap yard. Or do you own repairs and servicing on them.

Anything under £1000 is a very sensible choice as a first car. You'll be putting parking dings on it - possibly more. Possibly a big crash. It's less stress if the car was going to the scrap yard when you finished with it anyway.
Soteria3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Try any black box insurance provided by the insurance companies like Churchill, DirectLine, LV= etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise