The Student Room Group

Can someone explain classical conditioning in detail?

I am struggling to understand the idea of classical conditioning by Pavlov. Can someone explain it to me in depth please
Reply 1
Moved to Philosophy, RS and Theology (tell me if that's the wrong place lol)
Original post by Sinnoh
Moved to Philosophy, RS and Theology (tell me if that's the wrong place lol)

Psychologyx
Reply 3
Original post by Seamus123
Psychologyx

Oof thanks :h:
So pavlov’s theory is about association. He did an experiment with dogs which involved ringing a bell when the dogs were going to eat their food. Eventually he would ring the bell without offering food and the dogs would still salivate because they began to associate the noise of the bell with eating food. This was then applied to children where they would associate certain sounds with certain actions and when they hear a particular sound they will expect something to happen, it’s a learnt behaviour and a method of conditioning hope this helps
Reply 5
It's essentially a type of learning, through association.

So a neutral stimulus is consistently paired with an unconditioned stimulus. Over time, the neutral stimulus takes on the role of the unconditioned stimulus (through association), until eventually the neutral stimulus becomes a conditioned stimulus. Any response that the conditioned stimulus elicits, is called the conditioned response.

Look up examples, one of the most famous being the one that @ingrownhair mentioned above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending