Kenri2000
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So basically I need to apply to uni right and rly wanna do medicine I got like a year n half worths of volunteering at hospital and work experience at dentists etc. But my school bearing in mind top 50s in UK has predicted me with a BCC the B in biology Cs in maths n chem. I have done the bmat and am awaiting my results but just did my ukcat yesterday which I scored a 2240 in so like 560 average and my situational was band 3. With these results is there any point in even applying to medicine is there even a slight chance of getting an interview. Should I still apply regardless or is it just a waste of an application or I should apply to something else or take a gap year. Also my GCSE’s were 2 A stars 4 As 4Bs n a C. Pls guys someone reply I actually don’t know what to do. And if not apply for medicine should I use the application to apply to biomed or other xx PS My personally statement is legit only on med the one I’ve written.
username2923348
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kenri2000)
So basically I need to apply to uni right and rly wanna do medicine I got like a year n half worths of volunteering at hospital and work experience at dentists etc. But my school bearing in mind top 50s in UK has predicted me with a BCC the B in biology Cs in maths n chem. I have done the bmat and am awaiting my results but just did my ukcat yesterday which I scored a 2240 in so like 560 average and my situational was band 3. With these results is there any point in even applying to medicine is there even a slight chance of getting an interview. Should I still apply regardless or is it just a waste of an application or I should apply to something else or take a gap year. Also my GCSE’s were 2 A stars 4 As 4Bs n a C. Pls guys someone reply I actually don’t know what to do. And if not apply for medicine should I use the application to apply to biomed or other xx PS My personally statement is legit only on med the one I’ve written.
Going to be honest, with BCC, that will be unlikely to happen, have you had any offers and who have you applied for?

I would recommend maybe taking a foundation year, that way you will have a route into a medicine course directly rather than doing a conversion from biomed.
Kenri2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheRealSquiddy)
Going to be honest, with BCC, that will be unlikely to happen, have you had any offers and who have you applied for?

I would recommend maybe taking a foundation year, that way you will have a route into a medicine course directly rather than doing a conversion from biomed.
Oh okay basically I haven’t actually sent my application in yet I have like 3 more days to send it and I’ve heard foundation med is rly hard to get into as well like many people don’t get offers but I was thinking if I just applied to computer science instead and when I get my grades maybe try med for clearing or adjustment if not just take a gap year but I still have the option to go to uni if I wanted to do computer science later on
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So basically I need to apply to uni right and rly wanna do medicine
Do you mind telling us why you want to do medicine?

I got like a year n half worths of volunteering at hospital and work experience at dentists etc.
That's good... but

But my school bearing in mind top 50s in UK has predicted me with a BCC the B in biology Cs in maths n chem.
Is there any chance you can get them to improve it. It's 5 grades away from AAA...

I have done the bmat and am awaiting my results but just did my ukcat yesterday which I scored a 2240 in so like 560 average and my situational was band 3. With these results is there any point in even applying to medicine is there even a slight chance of getting an interview.
Sadly, the answer is no there isn't. There are simply hundreds of candidates who will be better in both their predicted grades and UKCAT. You will get automatically rejected from your choices.

Should I still apply regardless or is it just a waste of an application or I should apply to something else or take a gap year.
You can apply and see what happens (rejection). How realistically do you think you will actually get AAA or better though?

Also my GCSE’s were 2 A stars 4 As 4Bs n a C. Pls guys someone reply I actually don’t know what to do. And if not apply for medicine should I use the application to apply to biomed or other xx PS My personally statement is legit only on med the one I’ve written.
Have you considered other couses, like physician associate? It's a very similar career.

Oh okay basically I haven’t actually sent my application in yet I have like 3 more days to send it and I’ve heard foundation med is rly hard to get into as well like many people don’t get offers
Absolutely - if the entrance requirement was lower than of course it will be more competitive. Also note that it's not just everyone who can apply to Foundation / Access courses. I wouldn't count on this route of entry.

but I was thinking if I just applied to computer science instead and when I get my grades maybe try med for clearing or adjustment
As I have asked above - how realistic do you think you will get AAA? As far as I know, only SGUL offered clearing "officially" in August 2018, there were several med schools who did issue offers post results day but they gave them to people who previously applied (I could be wrong) and was rejected after interviews.

if not just take a gap year but I still have the option to go to uni if I wanted to do computer science later on
Computer science?!
Kenri2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Computer science?!
Medicine is something I rly rly want to do but it’s not the only think I like but I believe if I carry putting in more work effort n revision I have a good chance of getting AAA for exams and computer science I feel lik just Leaves my options open for me so I don’t have to risk it with clearing but honestly I don’t know what to do I really would like to do medicine I’ve put in so much time and effort into it and it’s something I genuinely like and want to pursue so at the end of the day I can go ahead n apply to med n get rejected and try again take a gap year or if I apply to comp science might actually get in and wouldn’t have wasted my application
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Medicine is something I rly rly want to do but it’s not the only think I like but I believe if I carry putting in more work effort n revision I have a good chance of getting AAA for exams and computer science I feel lik just Leaves my options open for me so I don’t have to risk it with clearing but honestly I don’t know what to do I really would like to do medicine I’ve put in so much time and effort into it and it’s something I genuinely like and want to pursue so at the end of the day I can go ahead n apply to med n get rejected and try again take a gap year or if I apply to comp science might actually get in and wouldn’t have wasted my application
Have you looked at physician associate? It's very similar to medicine.

You only get one personal statement, and you don't need me to tell you that comp science is really far away from medicine.
Kenri2000
Rep:
?
Have you looked at physician associate? It's very similar to medicine.

You only get one personal statement, and you don't need me to tell you that comp science is really far away from medicine.
Yep I know lol and no I haven’t looked into physicians associate but I just searched it up and it says i need a degree in something else first to pursue it
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yep I know lol and no I haven’t looked into physicians associate but I just searched it up and it says i need a degree in something else first to pursue it
Well UCLAN offers it as an undergrad degree / masters (4 years), but their grade requirements will be higher than your predicted.

I would just say it's unlikely that you would get an offer for 2019 - I am not saying it's impossible. (Just being realistic)

Perhaps you would consider doing a biomedical sciences / related course and then apply to graduate entry medicine? But then that's even more competitive and some med schools may need BBB at A-Levels.

Alternatively you may want to take a gap year - get your AAA first and then reapply for 2020 entry. You will have to retake your UKCAT and BMAT then (and hope for a better score for your UKCAT).
Kenri2000
Rep:
?
Well UCLAN offers it as an undergrad degree / masters (4 years), but their grade requirements will be higher than your predicted.

I would just say it's unlikely that you would get an offer for 2019 - I am not saying it's impossible. (Just being realistic)

Perhaps you would consider doing a biomedical sciences / related course and then apply to graduate entry medicine? But then that's even more competitive and some med schools may need BBB at A-Levels.

Alternatively you may want to take a gap year - get your AAA first and then reapply for 2020 entry. You will have to retake your UKCAT and BMAT then (and hope for a better score for your UKCAT).
Okay thank you so much I felt that the gap year route seems most likely at this point as well I can just apply this year to see how the process is I guess and honestly you’ve really made things clear in my head now I did honestly lag behind in the first year of a levels due to some issues but I will do more work to get the AAAs I need x
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Okay thank you so much I felt that the gap year route seems most likely at this point as well I can just apply this year to see how the process is I guess and honestly you’ve really made things clear in my head now I did honestly lag behind in the first year of a levels due to some issues but I will do more work to get the AAAs I need x
:goodluck: and freel free to come back if you have any questions.

Please let us know what you decide to do!
Kenri2000
Rep:
?
:goodluck: and freel free to come back if you have any questions.

Please let us know what you decide to do!
Sure and I rly appreciate ur time and help I’ve just been so stressed with everything from failing my driving test to taking like 3 school exams in the same week as bmat and then ukcat 2 weeks later. Thanks again x
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Those are very poor predictions and that is a very poor UKCAT. Its difficult to see how you could get in.

Your best chance for getting into medicine is probably getting AAA and applying after a gap year. I suspect the main problem with that will be the achieving AAA part. Graduate entry medicine is available, but is more competitive.

I think looking at a different degree for now followed by consideration of graduate entry medicine is your best bet.
MezmorisedPotato
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you can work hard and push yourself to get AAA, then you can apply in a gap year and redo your UKCAT to increase your chances of getting into medical school. It’s important to be realistic as previous posters said with the predicted grades and you may have to consider other options like the other posters said but you could try acing the A levels and getting AAA or more then apply again. If you think you may struggle that, then physicians associate and other paths may be more suitable.

Good luck!
wl1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
x
I don't have any advice to give that hasn't already been said, but I just wanted to say that I got BCC 9 years ago and I'm about to start my second year at med school.

Try your best to get AAA, but just know that even if you get BCC it's not the end of the world.

Good luck!
Kenri2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by wl1)
I don't have any advice to give that hasn't already been said, but I just wanted to say that I got BCC 9 years ago and I'm about to start my second year at med school.

Try your best to get AAA, but just know that even if you get BCC it's not the end of the world.

Good luck!
Thanks so much guys and I will try my best to get all A’s 👍
chakraman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do whatever you feel like it, use your gut feelings
smeggyellis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Apply to something else. If you do get AAA, then take a gap year and reapply to medicine next year or go through clearing. With those predicted grades I doubt you would get an offer. I wanted to do medicine, predicted AAB with similar experience, and decided I wouldn't get in so I decided to do chem instead. bless G
Kenri2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by smeggyellis)
Apply to something else. If you do get AAA, then take a gap year and reapply to medicine next year or go through clearing. With those predicted grades I doubt you would get an offer. I wanted to do medicine, predicted AAB with similar experience, and decided I wouldn't get in so I decided to do chem instead. bless G
Hi I was actually interested in Chem how r u finding it though?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (77)
16.38%
No one else does (142)
30.21%
I'm embarrassed about my background (55)
11.7%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (165)
35.11%
We don't use a video platform (8)
1.7%
I don't have a camera (11)
2.34%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (12)
2.55%

Watched Threads