The Student Room Group

Wider Reading

Hey guys, I'm currently in the process of piecing together my personal statement after a fair bit of planning but I'm curious about what wider reading people have done?

I've read different extracts from a few books, including Adventures In Human Being, Genome and Phantoms In The Brain and I would like to read a bit of The Selfish Gene as well (I'll finish reading them all once my application has been sent off). I'm wondering if reading these books is enough, as I haven't read that many articles. The Student BMJ seems to have closed down and BMJ subscriptions are very expensive. I've read a few things from New Scientist and Scientific American, but people are always telling me to read the Student BMJ.

Is reading books enough or do I need articles as well?
Reply 1
I'm currently reading it and I find it so fascinating, it's a view into an area of medicine I know very little about!

Yes, I'm trying my best to stay on top of things, are there any topics in particular that are likely to come up? Thank you so much for the help :biggrin:
Reply 2
Hey, don't worry too much about wider reading! Have a look at the BMJ for more recent updates that may be useful for your interviews this year! Best of luck, know how it feels to be in your position (I'm a 4th year)
Reply 3
Original post by yhyhyh9
Hey, don't worry too much about wider reading! Have a look at the BMJ for more recent updates that may be useful for your interviews this year! Best of luck, know how it feels to be in your position (I'm a 4th year)

Thank you so much! Did they ask much about your reading in your interviews?
Reply 4
Original post by Tombre
Thank you so much! Did they ask much about your reading in your interviews?

Nope, they didn't ask in any of them at all. I just mentioned something I'd read literally the week before to look fancy loool but they never asked specifically!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending