Writing a personal statement for a masters degree application? Watch

SomeT
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Writing a personal statement for a masters degree application? How do I do this?
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm currently in the process of writing my MSc personal statement too!

I've been told by current and previous Masters students to make a real point of your honours project and the skills you acquired from it, especially crucial if it's relevant to your Masters course. Also emphasise any modules you scored especially high in.

(Also waiting for responses from those more in the know to this thread)
SomeT
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
I'm currently in the process of writing my MSc personal statement too!

I've been told by current and previous Masters students to make a real point of your honours project and the skills you acquired from it, especially crucial if it's relevant to your Masters course. Also emphasise any modules you scored especially high in.

(Also waiting for responses from those more in the know to this thread)
What about if my final year project is nothing to do with the masters I am applying for? Issue with my course is it covers so many areas its difficult to pin down. I was more looking for an example of existing personal statements or something like that or a guide?
CTLeafez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SomeT)
What about if my final year project is nothing to do with the masters I am applying for? Issue with my course is it covers so many areas its difficult to pin down. I was more looking for an example of existing personal statements or something like that or a guide?
This girl gives some pretty sound advice IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7F3kzFKSAY

What PG course are you applying for?
Parkleton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This was the format I used for mine (I applied for MSc Forensic Psychology) :

Paragraph 1: Why I am applying for that specific course (essentially a brief summary of the entire personal statement)

Paragraph 2: I did a joint honours undergrad in Criminology and Psychology, so I used this paragraph to talk specifically about Criminology and its application to Forensic Psychology. I also talked about my dissertation, the skills I learned during it and how this is relevant to studying at postgraduate level

Paragraph 3: This was the paragraph specifically about Psychology, and some explanation of my research skills learned specific to psychology. I also talked about the modules in particular I was interested in for the MSc, and my research interests.

Paragraph 4: Relevant experience. I talked about my volunteering in a police station and how this helped my to develop skills relevant for postgraduate study

Paragraph 5: Why I'm applying to that particular university. So I talked about the research interests of staff, the general university reputation and how I would fit in that community. then I finished off with a summary of why I would be good for the course

I approached it in the same way I'd approach a job application - I looked at the course specification, and made sure to link all of my experience back to it and how it made me right for the course.

Any questions let me know!
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't overthink. Keep it simple.

There's no correct format. Just make sure you say what you wanna do, why, and how you're equipped to study those things. Rest is just gloss. I am not even convinced most places read the PS for postgrad.

Most places are not competitive at all, so let that calm your nerves.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What's the issue? You've written a personal statement before.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by SomeT)
Writing a personal statement for a masters degree application? How do I do this?
My undergrad degree had nothing to do with my pgt, so I just had to be creative.

Para 1: modules that helped me/introduced me to my interest in my pgt course. My understanding of the pgt course and what in particular I found interesting.

Para 2: wrote about my dissertation, even though the topic was not related at all. I just mentioned how contextual reading for my diss sparked an interest in a particular element of my pgt course.

Para 3/4: wrote about my studentship at my uni - running my own dept. rep campaign and winning, volunteering on committees, etc. How all my student experiences were relevant to my pgt course.

Para 5: how my skills, academia and experience would suit the pgt course and the uni.

Your master's PS application should inform the uni; interest in the pgt subject, why you want to study there, what sort of student they can expect you to be, how the pgt course will develop your career aspects/progression. Not in that order, but that's how I split my paragraphs up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.6%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.28%
No (175)
34.11%

Watched Threads